if you want to be MT, reroll paladin

100 Troll Warlock
Protection paladin has the best survivability, and the best mitigation mechanism.
39 Worgen Warlock
0/10, go home.
100 Troll Warlock
0/10, go home.

!@#$
all right
100 Blood Elf Paladin
0/10, go home.

don't hate just because he speaks the truth.
100 Pandaren Monk
I wouldn't mind the whole hand of protection clearing debuffs because that can be done by any paladin (it's just more convenient to do it on your own) ... but SoTR reducing the dmg taken by mechanics the other tanks can't really avoid is really silly.

Why triple puncture and similars don't work like Thrash is beyond me ..

tank balance was great so far .. but silly things like this are just part of the good old stupidity from blizz (which they'll obviously say it's not a problem now, and 6 months from now will agree it was dumb, like they did with anub, algalon, DS etc)
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't mind the whole hand of protection clearing debuffs because that can be done by any paladin (it's just more convenient to do it on your own) ... but SoTR reducing the dmg taken by mechanics the other tanks can't really avoid is really silly.

tank balance was great so far .. but silly things like this are just part of the good old stupidity from blizz (which they'll obviously say it's not a problem now, and 6 months from now will agree it was dumb, like they did with anub, algalon, DS etc)

NO. IT'S AWESOME.

Standing in attenuation, and not running around was awesome. And basically using it right before any unavoidable physical damage was the best.

That's why we're clearly the best MT.
100 Pandaren Monk
the problem is that pretty much all mechanics in the past tier were either avoidable (like, literally avoidable, like attenuation and such) or they could be mitigated by block or dodged/parried. So all tanks were on equivalent ground.

but the triple puncture case is DS all over again. Granted it's only one fight, but it's stupid that we see that same mistake. Granted we didn't have those issues in the past tier, I thought they had learned.
90 Human Monk
03/31/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Plethora
Standing in attenuation, and not running around was awesome.

Funny thing, I tried that today for the first time while gearing up my protadin. I was bored, healers were bored, why not.

"Am I standing in some sort of safe spot I haven't noticed before? Why isn't damage... damaging me?"

Holy Avenger being essentially a 18s Shield Wall+ on a 2min CD is super too.
100 Pandaren Warrior
03/31/2013 12:48 PMPosted by Leeflow

You mean, also really good for paladins?
100 Human Warrior
That's why we're clearly the best MT.

I always figured it was the sparkle myself.

I'm okay with not having that though; I like my beard :(

but the triple puncture case is DS all over again. Granted it's only one fight, but it's stupid that we see that same mistake. Granted we didn't have those issues in the past tier, I thought they had learned.

Blizzard? Learning from their mistakes?

Surely you jest, sir.
Edited by Lowmaine on 3/31/2013 2:20 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Wait, what's so OP about Paladins on Triple Puncture ? The fact we can skip the tank swap ?

The whole like 45 seconds where nothing is happening tank swap ?

If you fail at tank swapping horridon, something is definitely wrong and it's not Triple Puncture.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
It's more that mechanics that are a threat to everyone else aren't a threat to paladins because of how SotR works.
100 Pandaren Monk
Wait, what's so OP about Paladins on Triple Puncture ? The fact we can skip the tank swap ?

The whole like 45 seconds where nothing is happening tank swap ?

If you fail at tank swapping horridon, something is definitely wrong and it's not Triple Puncture.

no son .. the fact that tripple puncture can't be avoided (i'm not 100% sure it can't be blocked), but it can be mitigated. What Sotr does? reduces dmg taken by X%. Essencially Sotr works on tripple puncture, while other active mitigation mechanics, don't. At least not nearly as effective.

guess what happens with tripple puncture on paladins? it gets reduced by a crapton (and they can do it in all of them), while other tanks simply show their faces or pop a cooldown, because our active mitigation doesn't work.

again, balance concerns = heroics. Tripple puncture + melee hit can vaporize a tank on heroic .. well, 4 of the 5 tanks. One of the five doesn't have that issue. Guess which one it is =)

Also the fact that sacred shield is healing for a huge amount, logs of prot paladins breaking 100k hps while tanking, etc etc

So yeh, paladins are really "broken" in this patch, while all other 4 tanks are relatively balanced. It still can be done by other classes, but it's a similar case of DS, where you would be stupid to not use a DK ... now you'd be stupid to not use a paladin if you have one available.

it's not as absurd as DKs were on DS or paladins on firelands .. but yeah, paladins are ahead in this tier.
Edited by Leeflow on 3/31/2013 3:31 PM PDT
I'm a paladin.
90 Human Paladin
Also the fact that sacred shield is healing for a huge amount, logs of prot paladins breaking 100k hps while tanking, etc etc

A Holy Paladin or Retribution Paladin can throw a Sacred shield on the tank, so dunno why you're bringing this up.

Yes, I do try to keep my SotR up to hit it right before TP.

Bought time they made a fight for us, after 5 expansions.
Edited by Berith on 3/31/2013 4:03 PM PDT
A Holy Paladin or Retribution Paladin can throw a Sacred shield on the tank, so dunno why you're bringing this up.

A retribution or holy paladin's Sacred Shield isn't being fueled by 100k worth of Vengeance.
100 Pandaren Monk
03/31/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Berith

Yes, I do try to keep my SotR up to hit it right before TP.

Bought time they made a fight for us, after 5 expansions.

not to be an armory troll, but I don't think you have enough experience to realize the amount of crap you are saying. You really have no idea just how hard heroic bosses are hitting and the insane amount of vengeance tanks are getting. And how that much vengeance is having funny side effects on the rest of the toolkit.

"Bought time they made a fight for us, after 5 expansions. "

you were not around during firelands were you?

And that's a really dumb comment. That's not what tanks should want. Because the next tank that gets shoved, eventually will be you. Ask any paladin or warrior:

"Did you like to be king on 3-4 fights on firelands and then be the worst possible "plz-dont-bring-this-tank", and hold back your raid in pretty much all but 2 fights of dragon soul?"

I don't think you'll find a lot of players who liked that. In fact I distinctly remember that the combined rivers of tears from warriors and paladins on dragon soul, rivaled the river that DKs made on firelands.

But I bet you'll find a lot of players that liked how the 1st tier of mop was very balanced for all tanks, and we all managed to get the job done without major hiccups.

Again, I'm not supporting the OP and saying that paladins are hands down the only titan gods able to tank this tier. But those small details (one tank being able to mitigate things that other tanks are not) are enough to tip the balance and make a lot of people unhappy.
Edited by Leeflow on 3/31/2013 4:41 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
03/31/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Leeflow
I don't think you'll find a lot of players who liked that.

I survived the days of "QQ more, Paladins should shut up and heal. You can tank when I get a healing tree".

I think you can live with us being a wee bit better at tanking 1 boss.

No, I wasn't around in Firelands, my experience is TBC/Classic.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yeah, I co-tank with a pally, I had him make a sacred shield macro for me so as soon as we do a tank swap, he tosses it on me with full vengeance.

Pally tanks will see a minor tweak in 5.3, while it's great to see them standing above the rest for once considering DK's in DS etc.

However blizzard seemed to be on track with tank balance in t14 so I imagine they will fix it to continue as such.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]