Non Heroic Raiding Mages

100 Worgen Mage
From a DPS standpoint - given current raid mechanic requirements - any mage under 510 simply can't keep up with the DPS output of any spec of lock in comparable gear.

And if you are crazy enough to choose Fire <520 you may as well hang up your boots.

My question is simple....

What is the point of bringing a mage (of any spec) over a lock these days?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
It comes down to preference really. I will agree that I almost always get narrowly beaten by a WL buddy of mine who I raid 10N content with every now and then, but there are fights where I pull ahead too. But he doesn't like playing mages and I don't like playing warlocks. And we're raiding normal content, so it doesn't get down to the wire where we have to play the absolute top DPS spec and/or class.

Plus I can Time Warp and Resto Druids we run with almost always prefer Symbiosis on Mages over Warlocks (but they do sometimes prefer other classes over both Mages and WLs, like Monks)
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Time Warp as stated and don't forget about Counterspell... interrupt abilities can be very useful.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Already been said but:

- Warp
- Counterspell, long range interrupt that's great for horridon and troll council

But also IMO mages are much easier to heal, between temporal shield, improved invis, and ice block, mages themselves can trivialize a lot of aoe heavy fights like tortos or Megara.

This tier, if your gear isn't very good, go frost, the aoe burst is much more handy then single targeting and doing slightly higher dps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I wouldn't throw out the mage just yet, they will bounce back. Always do. Although currently as a RL I would take a lock over mage any day
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage

Because all classes go through up and down periods and class changing over something like that is silly. I like my mage I don't care about his dps output compared to other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

Because you raid with friends, you want to play a mage, and your raid is ok with it?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
03/31/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Imapwnurface

Because you raid with friends, you want to play a mage, and your raid is ok with it?

This is basically what happened with me... I said to my raid that whats the point of bringing me into the raid as a mage? And they said just come... We are here to have fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The reason you bring a mage to pugs by the way is either bloodlust or the fact that your realm doesn't contain an infinite amount of superlative warlocks for you to recruit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
03/31/2013 12:06 PMPosted by Pksillo

This is basically what happened with me... I said to my raid that whats the point of bringing me into the raid as a mage? And they said just come... We are here to have fun.

Same boat here. I was ready to ditch the mage and focus on my lock.

Raid team said "no, we think you should be our mage"

Only reason the mage is still the main
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Well, a good mage will still be better than a mediocre warlock. The fun part about being a middle of the pack spec is that nobody can make excuses when you stomp all over them on the meters.

Well, they still try, but you get to just roll your eyes at them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I think it was around 510 (as fire) that i did catch up to afflic lock. Now at 520 im ahead so ya. Frost should do fine at 500-510 keeping up with most locks. If your below 500 your just behind for normal raids anyways, other then maybe first couple bosses.
Reply Quote
I'm currently sitting at 500(?) ilvl, play as frost and love it. I've pretty competitive in my 10 man group. Usually in the top 3. Before the rants and raves, I'm in a raid with usually a DK, rogue, hunter and a lock. I almost never have problems with being at the top. Just my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
503 iLvl 25N raiding currently and I am normally in the top 5 if not bucking for top spot. But our guild rarely gets into Heroics possibly because we lack the conviction from a full raid group to buckle down for those harder fights. I will admit I am the only Mage in our 25N as the class doesn't seem to appeal to many who raid. Duplicates of every other class other than Mage in our 25N. I consider myself an average raider but I definitely compete for top DPS/Damage in our group.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Time Warp OP
Reply Quote
2 Troll Hunter
From a DPS standpoint - given current raid mechanic requirements - any mage under 510 simply can't keep up with the DPS output of any spec of lock in comparable gear.

And if you are crazy enough to choose Fire <520 you may as well hang up your boots.

My question is simple....

Uhm because not all locks are robot's performing maximum dps at all times? I raid with two locks in my guild as Arcane and I beat them on every single fight. I'm 497 ilvl and they're 505 and 509 affliction.

IT COMES DOWN TO SKILL. Thats why your raid leader will bring you.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
I raid Fire, and I quest and 5-man in frost.

I burst single target for about 160k+ dps and normally level out at about 80-90k.

My guild knows me to be a good player; to stay out of fire mechanics, to interrupt or stack when needed. I can mitigate deathdealing blows with iceblock, mitigate AoE with ice barrier, I am where I need to be when I am suppose to be there. And even though I do not do as much damage as the rogue or warlock in the group, I am alive, and most of the time one of the last to die if we wipe.

This is what makes a raider. This is why I am brought into the raids, becuase I am reliable.

A good raid leader will pick an inferior dps class that stays alive throughout the entire fight over a superior dps class that dies, any day of the week.

Its not about who does more damage, its about who is more reliable in doing that damage.

Exactly what Speer said, it comes down to skill; not numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Because, simply, if your guild is wiping to enrage timers, it's not JUST the mage who is doing bad dps...

And as others have pointed out, a good mage will be better than most warlocks anyway (at least in my experience warlocks tend to either be really good, or really bad). I tend to be competitive with my whole guild on most fights, with some being top, and others (like Tortos coz I'm not on bats) I will be dead last. The only time I have been called on low dps, was our first week of Horridon, where I was pulling all of 85k as fire.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
04/02/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Tuckletuts
Because, simply, if your guild is wiping to enrage timers, it's not JUST the mage who is doing bad dps...

I'm still relatively new to WoW (I joined when MoP first came out).

I can never understand why in WoW people get so terribly offended and start screaming and cursing at you, because you suggested they sit out the fight after an enrage where nobody died, nobody messed up the mechanics, and none of the healers can go for more DPS than they currently have, and the person you suggest it to was the worst performing DPS.

Instead they make everyone stay there and repeat the kill 20 times over and repeatedly hit enrage timer and wipe everyone, giving all of them a repair bill that could have been avoided as well as an epic waste of time.

If I was the worst DPS causing us to hit enrage I'd gladly sit out for a replacement DPS... >.>
Edited by Breaktheice on 4/2/2013 3:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]