New PTR build - Atonement nerf.

65 Dwarf Shaman
Just posting here after I saw the latest data mining from MMO (which, of course, means it should all be taken with a grain of salt).

Atonement will now heal for 80% of the damage done, down from 100%. The self-heal part remains untouched.

I thought they'd try to tone down atonement a notch, but not sure if a flat 20% is appropiate. It is fun in LFR where you can heal everything with Atonement, but in an actual raid scenario there are better tools to use when you need real output quick, specially if you have enough stacks to pop AA already. The net impact might not be that huge and just encourage using other spells more, but what is everyone's opinion on this?

On another note, Mass Dispel is also getting nerfed to not be able to "remove Magic effects that are normally undispellable" (aka, bubble/ice block) unless you take the new Glyph of Mass Dispel. Not as impactful on PvE, but it makes my Shadow Priest sad for PvP <.<
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It's probably to be expected. Atonement got buffed a lot in 5.2 with the buffs to Penance and the change to Mastery. This'll put it I think about where it was pre-5.2.
Reply Quote
65 Dwarf Shaman
Understandable. I'm yet to see Greater Heal ever pop its head on a Disc's breakdown outside of very rare cases, so I'm wondering if Disc doesn't use their Single target heals much because Atonement is way too good, the ST heals are too bad, or a mix of both. I know Penance has very solid single-target output, but is Atonement better than trying to get a GH off on a target?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc's single target heals are terrible because they have no interaction with spells/talents that would make them more attractive than PW:S or Atonement heals in certain situations, a la Tidal Waves/Beacon transfer/Chi generation. This change won't do anything other than nerf Disc's healing numbers by a couple percent.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Understandable. I'm yet to see Greater Heal ever pop its head on a Disc's breakdown outside of very rare cases, so I'm wondering if Disc doesn't use their Single target heals much because Atonement is way too good, the ST heals are too bad, or a mix of both. I know Penance has very solid single-target output, but is Atonement better than trying to get a GH off on a target?

In many cases, the only way to efficiently use gheal is to juke-cast it. It's subject to being sniped if you use it on someone who is already low.

The conclusion I made is that rather than sit there juke-casting gheal, i'd rather spam smite. You're not limited to healing the tank, and if nobody needs healing, you still made effective use of your time by doing damage. If someone needs an emergency heal, I can use flash heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I know Penance has very solid single-target output, but is Atonement better than trying to get a GH off on a target?

4sec cd on Penance from t14 4pc, as well as damage modifier fights, leave not a lot of room for GHeal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10-4 = 6s, nerf :P
Reply Quote

9-3 smarty pants. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Derp.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/01/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Morenn

9-3 smarty pants. :P

When did they change that?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
5.2 - they were worried folks were too attached to T14, so they cut both the base cd and the bonus by 1.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/01/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Frozenorange

In many cases, the only way to efficiently use gheal is to juke-cast it. It's subject to being sniped if you use it on someone who is already low.

The conclusion I made is that rather than sit there juke-casting gheal, i'd rather spam smite. You're not limited to healing the tank, and if nobody needs healing, you still made effective use of your time by doing damage. If someone needs an emergency heal, I can use flash heal.

When I'm running around LFR on my Disc Priest this has pretty much been my stance. I can't even think of a example in recent memory where I've either Heal or GH in there as Disc. I've of course done emergency heals with FH but to be honest Penance, PW:S and Atonement are the bulk of my healing for that. If I'm stopping to cast GH in Disc chances are they'll be healed to full or way past the need for that big of a heal by the time my cast goes off.

Even if I'm raid healing normals I don't normally cast Heal or GH unless I have time and/or I'm tank healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/01/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Thalassia
Atonement will now heal for 80% of the damage done, down from 100%. The self-heal part remains untouched.

Well, technically, it still says "If the Priest is healed through Atonement, the effect is reduced by 50%," so the self-heal goes down to 30%.

If that change goes live, I don't think we'll see too huge a change. Derevka spoke about Atonement being too strong right now to really promote "good-gameplay," which I agree with to an extent.

Everything I've experienced/read/analyzed indicates that you see more Atonement play in Normal modes than you do in Heroics (note: in general; there are many ranked players in NM raids who use Atonement much less heavily than other ranked players).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
When I'm running around LFR on my Disc Priest this has pretty much been my stance. I can't even think of a example in recent memory where I've either Heal or GH in there as Disc. I've of course done emergency heals with FH but to be honest Penance, PW:S and Atonement are the bulk of my healing for that. If I'm stopping to cast GH in Disc chances are they'll be healed to full or way past the need for that big of a heal by the time my cast goes off.

Even if I'm raid healing normals I don't normally cast Heal or GH unless I have time and/or I'm tank healing.

i honestly can't remember the last time i used Heal. as for GH, i tend to throw it around for an uber Spirit Shell shield.

i'm sort of confused about the reasoning behind the nerf. i was under the assumption that penance healing + damage was boosted as a counter balance to the heavy nerf to disc aoe raid healing through PoH.

now they introduce a 20% nerf across the board; which not only counteracts the buff they implemented, but puts disc even further behind than before.

is atonement really making such an impact in raids that a 20% nerf is needed? (i don't do serious raiding so i wouldn't know)

seems like one of those nerfs where blizz is "subtly" telling disc players to use other spells.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
04/01/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Elethia
Well, technically, it still says "If the Priest is healed through Atonement, the effect is reduced by 50%," so the self-heal goes down to 30%.

I'm pretty sure it'd be 40%, but can't prove it. Most effects are multiplicative, not additive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Captain D isn't the only one who is concerned about the mundane, yet effectiveness of the current and past two patches of atonement healing.

I still think the dps and healing is good numerically, but the mana efficiency is still what bugs me because it promotes sitting at 5 stacks evangelism instead of using archangel more frequently. By comparison, you can pull more dps and healing as a monk using eminence in the current live version of the game, so I wasn't as concerned about the healing/damage being done from a class stacking PoV because 5.2 monks would be the first in the line of fire.

But I guess the development team likes the mana efficiency (which means we still aren't going to be casting heal, gheal, or fheal any time soon). Regardless, I'll be quick to put a stamp of approval on any kind of nerf to atonement, even if it's a numerical change over a mana change.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Didn't see this coming...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Captain D isn't the only one who is concerned about the mundane, yet effectiveness of the current and past two patches of atonement healing.

I still think the dps and healing is good numerically, but the mana efficiency is still what bugs me because it promotes sitting at 5 stacks evangelism instead of using archangel more frequently. By comparison, you can pull more dps and healing as a monk using eminence in the current live version of the game, so I wasn't as concerned about the healing/damage being done from a class stacking PoV because 5.2 monks would be the first in the line of fire.

But I guess the development team likes the mana efficiency (which means we still aren't going to be casting heal, gheal, or fheal any time soon). Regardless, I'll be quick to put a stamp of approval on any kind of nerf to atonement, even if it's a numerical change over a mana change.

I think that if the situation calls for it, sitting at 5 stacks of Evangelism should be the way to go. And if the situation calls for it, consuming those stacks for Archangel should be the way to go. I really do not agree that you should always be using your Evangelism stacks whenever you can mash the Archangel button. That style of play isn't really fun or interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/01/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Skootalloo

I'm pretty sure it'd be 40%, but can't prove it. Most effects are multiplicative, not additive.

I don't know why it would be multiplicative in this case.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

I don't know why it would be multiplicative in this case.

I don't know why it wouldn't be. The intent, I believe, is for Atonement to heal the priest for half as much as anyone else.

EDIT: Also don't see a reason why Blizzard would want Atonement's self-healing capabilities reduced more than the 20% nerf would already account for.
Edited by Skootalloo on 4/1/2013 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]