New PTR build - Atonement nerf.

90 Gnome Monk
You mean it would look like them doing the same damage as me?

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wvk6ambh4myxusz9/analyze/dd/source/?s=8994&e=9156
The below is P1 of the fight where we were trying to push and beat the 4th Thunderstruck. Zero adds in this phase, and really little damage.

So monks do similar single target DPS, and double the AoE. They heal for similar from DPS (more when they get to AoE). The point is, Disc shouldn't be nerfed... at least without compensation. As mentioned above, I'd be happy (and would finally enjoy healing again) if they got rid of all smart heals (if that's what the game was balanced around).

No, monks don't heal similar amounts from dps as disc.

Monk heals from dps caps at 60% of damage done (2 30% smart heals for special attack damage, 2 15% smart heals from white damage if a buff is up) while disc currently gets 100% (unless healing self). So doing the same single target dps you will do ~65% more healing (and that assumes the monk has the required buff up 100% and doesn't suffer from the more limited range for our eminence heals). The nerf brings that number down to 33% more st heal from dps; still better but monks, as you say, do way better with aoe (although that healing depends entirely on party members being in the aoe as well, unlike the atonement/eminence healing).

(btw, I'm 100% on-board with the get rid of smart heals thing)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Never mind that in the logs I posted that in a 2.5min period the monk regen'd 800k mana and healed nearly as much as me by throwing out instant Renewing Mist's. So yes, if the monk was doing pure single target DPS, he would be doing the same damage as me but less healing. However monks can easily toss out heals while DPSing while Disc Priests cannot because they either have a cast time, are too costly or too ineffective.

Both classes do similar single target DPS to heal and similar healing output. The monk does twice as much DPS during AoE and consequently his healing goes up. The Priest is getting nerfed AND without alterations to their toolkit. See the problem?
Edited by Poena on 4/17/2013 10:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

(I hope you realize that means getting rid of all of your fistweaving, your Renewing Mists, and the healing your Statue does.)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
04/17/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Tiriel

(I hope you realize that means getting rid of all of your fistweaving, your Renewing Mists, and the healing your Statue does.)

Yep, I realize this, although technically RM is not smart healing as it doesn't jump to the lowest hp target available...

However, I'm also a realist so I know it isn't going to happen anyway.

Never mind that in the logs I posted that in a 2.5min period the monk regen'd 800k mana and healed nearly as much as me by throwing out instant Renewing Mist's. So yes, if the monk was doing pure single target DPS, he would be doing the same damage as me but less healing. However monks can easily toss out heals while DPSing while Disc Priests cannot because they either have a cast time, are too costly or too ineffective.

Both classes do similar single target DPS to heal and similar healing output. The monk does twice as much DPS during AoE and consequently his healing goes up. The Priest is getting nerfed AND without alterations to their toolkit. See the problem?

As I said before, the monk advantage in aoe situations is entirely predicated on raid members also being in the aoe. The more raid members in the aoe, the more the healing; if no raid members are in the aoe then there will be 0 healing as the monk aoe moves all either heal or damage a target depending on whether it is friendly/enemy, there is no damage->healing component so your assertion regarding aoe situations is situationally inaccurate.

The reverse, that with current rules, a disc priest will provide more healing from the same single target dps, however, is not. 100% > 60% in all cases, your log even backs this up as the monk, despite throwing out renewing mists (which accounted for more than 1/3 of his healing and more than his eminence healing total) and doing 3-5% higher dps still healed for >10% less than you did....

Priests are getting nerfed because Blizz doesn't want atonement healing (plus the cooldowns) to be the be-all end-all of disc healing. While I agree to an extent that some disc priest abilities have issues, (renew is horrible, heal/g heal without grace are ugggh and so forth) they aren't all bad. However, when the choice is 100% damage to heal or just 100% heal the answer is pretty obvious. Why penance a teammate when you get the same healing effects+the damage by targeting the mob instead?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yep, I realize this, although technically RM is not smart healing as it doesn't jump to the lowest hp target available...

The tooltip says that it always favors injured over full, but always favors whoever is closest in its range unless you glyph it. Now granted, my monk runs with it glyphed 100% of the time, but I've never seen it ignore an injured target in favor of a full target or a pet unless the injured person was out of range of the spell.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

The tooltip says that it always favors injured over full, but always favors whoever is closest in its range unless you glyph it. Now granted, my monk runs with it glyphed 100% of the time, but I've never seen it ignore an injured target in favor of a full target or a pet unless the injured person was out of range of the spell.

True, but in Blizz terms "smart" heals always target the most injured target(s) in range while RM hops to the furthest/nearest (depending on glyphed or not) eligible target so the guy down 5 hp but .5 yds further from/nearer the original target will get it over the guy slightly closer/further that only has 5 hp left.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]