New PTR build - Atonement nerf.

Nerfs are never fun, but this one is probably justified. I honestly don't really know what I'm doing as Disc, I mostly just spam dps spells, and I usually top dps with Atonement making up over half my healing. I barely cast single target heals anymore.

On the other hand, Grace and Atonement do NOT play well together. Why cast direct heals when they're pretty weak without stacks of Grace, which require direct heals, when you can do better healing with Atonement? I say they should just remove Grace and buff direct heals accordingly, it doesn't really have a use anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Oh god...my life...it's crumbling before my eyes. I'm lost without my ability to heal an entire raid with 3 buttons for 10 minute boss fights. People'll realize I'm not as good as I pretend to be :/
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

I don't know why it would be multiplicative in this case.

I don't know why it wouldn't be. The intent, I believe, is for Atonement to heal the priest for half as much as anyone else.

EDIT: Also don't see a reason why Blizzard would want Atonement's self-healing capabilities reduced more than the 20% nerf would already account for.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't put it past them to have it additive if these changes are real.

Edit: Ah, I'm dumb when I'm tired. I get it. That said, still wouldn't put it past Blizz.
Edited by Elethia on 4/1/2013 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Meh I don't really get this nerf, it doesn't really matter as far as competitive raid healing goes since when you really need to heal you don't go atonement crazy and most of the atonement ultimately end up as over healing or just cause someone else to over heal.

Maybe it's just to appease the LFR healer who have problem with the disc priest out healing them without doing anything but DPS. Or maybe it's a PvP thing, I don't know PvP. Or to counter balance the mastery buff we got, which I'm not crazy about since soon enough I'll reforge out of mastery into haste.

Anyway small change that don't really matter, I hope something more interesting come along in 5.3. How about that new spell they kinda started talking about, I'll trade them Prayer of mending for something else :P
Edited by Meit on 4/1/2013 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Surely it cant be fun spamming a spell on the boss to make up 50% of your total output. Even if you need the extra damage, it just seems so.... Easy.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'll trade them Prayer of mending for something else :P

U NO TAKE MY HOLY FRISBEE!!

(clutches PoM)

BAD PRST NO COOKY!!!!
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
maybe this is to pave the way for disc priests getting a damage benefit from pvp power. /crossesfingers
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
maybe this is to pave the way for disc priests getting a damage benefit from pvp power. /crossesfingers

lol...I wish...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Edit: Ah, I'm dumb when I'm tired. I get it. That said, still wouldn't put it past Blizz.

You're *never* dumb sweety.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
04/01/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Taymage

You're *never* dumb sweety.

How I wish that were true.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
04/01/2013 08:29 PMPosted by Kaels
I'll trade them Prayer of mending for something else :P

U NO TAKE MY HOLY FRISBEE!!

(clutches PoM)

BAD PRST NO COOKY!!!!

Pfff holy frisbee is old world, you gotta evolved, it's all about holy boomerang now, why do you think every good priest take divine star?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This uh, really sucks. Discipline does not need a nerf right now, especially considering Atonement doesn't provide improved healing on damage debuff bosses and the changes to our crits.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
This uh, really sucks. Discipline does not need a nerf right now, especially considering Atonement doesn't provide improved healing on damage debuff bosses and the changes to our crits.

Well...er...it does...just not past 1.5x the regular heal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It's ironic. They just buffed Penance (and thus, the atonement heal). Now it's nerftime?

I've said this for years: Blizzard doesn't have a clue
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Awww boozle.

I'll still play Disc/Holy.

But... I'l need extra cookies to make it acceptable.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Oh god...my life...it's crumbling before my eyes. I'm lost without my ability to heal an entire raid with 3 buttons for 10 minute boss fights. People'll realize I'm not as good as I pretend to be :/

Come enjoy the cookies with me?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd honestly rather see the damage component dropped down, myself. And see AA give a boost to crit with the change to DA, instead of to healing per se, since we more or less got that baked into mastery now.

I'd love to have some control over DA proc chance as opposed to the do-si-do atonement is being subjected to. I like using direct shielding. And I like the original intent of atonement as the low-low mid damage, mana efficient heal.

It doesn't need to deal damage of 30k+ to be effective to do that.

Ok, it's nice to know if you're dragging a friend through heroics in a guild group with the ilvl requirement cheesed for entry that you can compensate for the difference.

But IMO, it's somewhat silly to be sitting up with the dps on dps meters. I'd far prefer the damage component drop a bit than the healing. Healing is my job, not damage, after all.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
This nerf annoys me. When just moderate damage is going out, you can't rely on atonement to keep up anybody, though you'll still want to use it just enough to get the stacks for archangel. When heavy damage is going out, assuming I didn't have the stacks to begin with, I just have to make due without archangel because each GCD makes a big difference. Light damage is where it's useful, but even light damage can mean that just one guy takes a big burst, and in that situation I'd go with a single-target direct heal.

It feels like 90% of the criticisms I've read about atonement come from people talking about Disc priests healing LFR with it. Of course in fights where raid wipe mechanics are toned down to tickle you (hey there Tortos' breath!) you can sit there using it. Oh, and then I've read some people complain about how dominant it was in "a fight", and then when asked, they say it was Horridon. But since when is a singular fight with a special factor that improves it or LFR difficulty in general a good reason to nerf a class?

I think one thing that irritates me more about this is that the 4-piece tier bonus for the first tier lowered the cooldown on Penance. People mention the penance buff being a buff of atonement. I would bet that a lot of disc priests have not broken their 4-piece bonus yet from last tier because of how useful it is. It feels like atonement's gonna take a double hit from losing that 4-piece bonus (cause eventually the gear upgrade will be worth it) and this nerf. And there's nothing to increase the mana efficiency of our single target direct heals.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I'd honestly rather see the damage component dropped down, myself. And see AA give a boost to crit with the change to DA, instead of to healing per se, since we more or less got that baked into mastery now.

I'd love to have some control over DA proc chance as opposed to the do-si-do atonement is being subjected to. I like using direct shielding. And I like the original intent of atonement as the low-low mid damage, mana efficient heal.

It doesn't need to deal damage of 30k+ to be effective to do that.

Ok, it's nice to know if you're dragging a friend through heroics in a guild group with the ilvl requirement cheesed for entry that you can compensate for the difference.

But IMO, it's somewhat silly to be sitting up with the dps on dps meters. I'd far prefer the damage component drop a bit than the healing. Healing is my job, not damage, after all.

If you're sitting up there with the dps on dps meters with atonement, those dps are doing terrible. Also, Disc's damage component may matter less for PvE, but I'd be wary of any nerf to damage for PvP, since Disc was always built as a more offensive healer with fewer escape tools. I mean, when someone talks about nerfing the damage of atonement, they're really saying to nerf the damage of holy fire, smite, and penance. I don't believe any of those deserve a nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

Well, it's not getting the nerf right now. It's coming in 5.3.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]