New PTR build - Atonement nerf.

90 Human Priest
I actually think Blizzard HATES PRIEST in general. We were made to heal a group, a raid or ourselves. We no longer have a ability to do it like the hybrids can. With 5.2 we are relearning atonement. It will not be useful now for our groups and raids per 5.3..So since we have extremely sucky heals and now sucky atonement leads me to believe they will simply kill off all of us priest characters and replace us with all the hybrids. The priest seems to becoming obsolete anymore.

I see the future of wow with no priest class only each class being a hybrid to damage/heal/fear/silence etc. the only difference will be our looks and the way we play our toons differently. we will become a perfect balance character the way blizzard wants us to become. gone will be the strictly priest healing class, warrior damage/tank class..etc these classes are not hybrids and will have to go to make for a balanced hybrid can do it all class of toons.

just a thought....
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I fixed it for you. :3

But in all seriousness... In normal modes, like others have said, I am finding myself spamming a boring penance/solace/smite rotation and am looking forward to this change. If we're crap again, like in the beginning of the expansion, they're bound to give us some more gracious bandaids that'll be reverted a couple months later anyway.

Hurrhurrhurr.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
U are right, we need to all specialize more in bandages now since we cant dps heal and cant heal heal. I can see us now on the pvp fields chasing down players to finish their field dressings.

It may become our only profession since we wont be wanted in raids or groups anymore again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Awful lot of Chicken Littling happening.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It's obvious. Blizzard is just going to get rid of priests. The monks are going to take out place, and that's just it.

Shadowpriests will get 2 os similar to warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I actually think Blizzard HATES PRIEST in general. We were made to heal a group, a raid or ourselves. We no longer have a ability to do it like the hybrids can. With 5.2 we are relearning atonement. It will not be useful now for our groups and raids per 5.3..So since we have extremely sucky heals and now sucky atonement leads me to believe they will simply kill off all of us priest characters and replace us with all the hybrids. The priest seems to becoming obsolete anymore.

I see the future of wow with no priest class only each class being a hybrid to damage/heal/fear/silence etc. the only difference will be our looks and the way we play our toons differently. we will become a perfect balance character the way blizzard wants us to become. gone will be the strictly priest healing class, warrior damage/tank class..etc these classes are not hybrids and will have to go to make for a balanced hybrid can do it all class of toons.

just a thought....

This is quite literally the silliest post in this thread. It's possibly the silliest post on this forum in at least a month. It's incredibly silly.
Reply Quote
Pro tip: Priests ARE hybrids.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

just a thought....

This is quite literally the silliest post in this thread. It's possibly the silliest post on this forum in at least a month. It's incredibly silly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There's no way I'll want to heal LFR with atonement healing not being viable.

Healing that mess is bad even with atonement. With a 20% nerf atonement just turns into something you use as a fallback at best.

It'd ruin the spec for me if atonement isn't viable.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You do realize that Atonement is meant to be used for light/sporadic damage, right Dliver?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's probably to be expected. Atonement got buffed a lot in 5.2 with the buffs to Penance and the change to Mastery. This'll put it I think about where it was pre-5.2.

But there was no buff to smite or holy fire, so the 20% buff to penance (only 1 of the 3 spells affected by atonement) doesn't justify a 20% across-the-board atonement nerf.

The changes to mastery in 5.2 weren't a buff for disc either - basically the changes were a huge nerf for prayer of healing. So instead of a useful AoE spell, disc got slightly better shielding. That's hardly a buff.

My view is 5.2 ruined disc's AoE healing potential, and 5.3 will ruin disc's unique DPS/healing hybrid potential.

Disc will be all about shielding, with a kit of very sub-par single/AoE/DPS/heal as a fallback. That seems like garbage to me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Our healing potential is just fine, Dliver. It may be a bit klunky (I'm looking at PoH -_-) but there's nothing wrong with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

You could heal LFR by rolling your face on the keyboard.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

I've seen a common thread here, so thought i'd throw in my opinion. Atonement is a good tool yes, but outside of gimmick dps modifier fights, atonement is not used when output is needed most, which means the nerf will effect you most heavily when output is not as big of a concern.

If you really want to maximize output, you will drop atonement for other higher hps options. If atonement is the majority of your healing done, it means the damage intake is so low that you are performing dramatically below your potential. In reality this nerf will translate into you switching away from atonement at slightly lower damage thresholds, which may lower our mana longevity slightly, but again when output really matters, we aren't atonment healing anyways.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-080nra29o7otnu3j/analyze/hd/source/?s=2450&e=2850

This is just a log of our latest megaera kill, where I was healing pretty close to full-out the entire time. Atonement was 10% of my total output. This nerf would barely effect me at all when it really mattered.

Summary: we are still viable with this nerf, and it really does little to lower our output when it's really needed.

I don't think anybody was confused about what to do when the situation is picture perfect for stacking up, popping Archangel, and spamming PoH into the raid.

What's going to hurt is when Atonement *was* suitable for a given situation, but isn't any longer after the nerf, and that we're not quite at the point of PoH spam into a stacked group. These kind of situations are going to be more demanding of our mana, time, and overall resources than they would be with full power Atonement.

That's all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
04/04/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Dliver
disc's unique DPS/healing hybrid potential.

Ahemmm. Unique my hoof.

Did you never play Disc pre-MoP? Imo it was a lot more fun (aside from the fact Disc has a bigger toolkit now). There isn't a ton of decision making in Atonement now. If you are Smiting or whatever at a time when a tank is taking a lot of damage... there's really no backfire (at least, as far as I've seen this expac) and is usually the correct approach anyway. That's... weird, imo. I preferred having to make decisions, with consequences for making the wrong decision.

The main problem in Cata was that Atonement's range caused issues on some fights, which has been fixed. Other than that, it did get overbuffed a bit in terms of damage/healing.

I'm convinced anyone who thinks this is going to "kill the spec" never played Disc until this expac.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
After thinking about it, I wish they would have gone about nerfing the real issue with Atonement. I'm speaking from a 25-man POV, but as it stands, people are probably seeing very inflated numbers with Atonement because:

1) It's the best filler spell there is, especially due to the spammability of Holy Fire and Smite. It's going to look good on the overall meters as it snipes a lot of heals during low healing phases, but apart from offensive Penance (and Solace), Atonement isn't our main heal when there's actual healing required.

2) The numbers for Atonement are highly inflated due to the contribution from the T14 4-piece bonus reducing Penance's CD. It's compounded by Smite + ToT allowing you to fit in more casts of offensive Penance during downtime.

3) Offensive Penance does slightly more healing than a CoH, and it is Disc's analogue to Holy's CoH. Without the T14 4-piece bonus, it has a 9s CD versus CoH's 8s CD in Chakra: Sanctuary. That seems pretty balanced to me.

4) Offensive Penance is our highest HPS/HPM spell. Nerfing it by 20% isn't going to discourage us from using it on CD offensively due to its raid wide smart healing capabilities together with the ability to gain a stack of Evangelism, and more often than not, using it as a spot heal just results in high overhealing.

The main issue I have with this change is that we're currently using it in our rotation during high damage phases, and all it's going to result in is a nerf to our sustained healing, which isn't something that's particularly overpowered about Disc, during these phases.

As it stands, offensive Penance is balanced by the fact that it has a 9s CD. There's no real justification to nerfing it, and this change doesn't even address the damage component which is the real reason why Atonement is so strong.

As mentioned earlier, Atonement's main strength comes from the damage and snipe healing it does during low damage phases, and if that's an issue, all Blizzard has to do is reduce the amount healed by Smite and Holy Fire, remove the interaction between ToT and Penance and the T14 4-piece bonus for Penance.

TL;DR, the healing from offensive Penance is not that issue - target the nerfs towards the actual spells that cause the inflated numbers.
Edited by Ceddya on 4/5/2013 12:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As mentioned earlier, Atonement's main strength comes from the damage and snipe healing it does during low damage phases

Working as intended?

I thought the whole point of atonement healing was that it *should* excel during low damage phases?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
They're using PW:S too much!

Nerf it!

They're using Prayer of Healing too much!

Nerf it!

They're using Atonement too much!

Nerf it!

Perhaps if we actually had a balanced toolkit and didn't have to rely on one spell to make up for the holes within the spec then we wouldn't have to spam one ability. I guess we have to wait for the next expansion for Blizzard to pull their heads out of the sand and finally give Disc multiple ways to AoE heal. But no, adding a new spell within this expansion would be too much of a headache the simple minded Priest population.

However changing how our PoH has worked since TBC? and completely revamping the way our heals crit and our mastery is A-okay!
Edited by Senari on 4/5/2013 1:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/04/2013 11:36 PMPosted by Taymage

You could heal LFR by rolling your face on the keyboard.

I think you're confusing your fireball "rotation" for healing, where you do have to be slightly awake sometimes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This won't break the class. Chicken Little'ing has happened with every major change to disc this expac.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]