Small Client Patches

90 Worgen Hunter
Why would you want to do more frequent patches, just creating more frequent tech issues for people :/
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Wait, does this mean I can actually /reload on the osx 64 bit client without it crashing every time?
Reply Quote
Great work. Now I can't login to game.

And after all these years I'm STILL getting feared thru walls.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
While your at it. Give locks 10% more damage back.

Monks too!
Reply Quote
This is a real step forward IMO. It's nice to have the ability to fix issues "now" instead of having to wait until you put enough fixes together to justify a client-side patch.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Out of general curiosity, what about those folks that are trying to write 3rd party addons for WoW? It seems like with this change, alot of these small updates are going to directly hinder those efforts. Is there anyway to make it easier for these folks to just to do "One and Done" for development or is it going to be every patch like always?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
04/02/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Omegal
Another that this could fix are the tooltip changes. Currently on live Monk's Tiger stance is set to 10% increased damage. when 5.2 first came out, this was 20%. Theoretically they could release a small patch to update the tooltip without waiting 3 months for the next major patch so that the tooltip could be updated.

actually no. These are client only patches, IE just the executable files. tooltips are not included in that, those are included in the localized .mpq files. Fast patches do not touch data mpqs because those require localizing in like 11 languages and more testing. Client only patches or "binary patches" as blizzard calls them, are JUST the win or os x executable file to fix client side bugs such as crashes.

Well, isn't it possible that they could use this new patching tech to update tooltips? I don't see why not...updating client files is updating client files, regardless of how small or large the patch is.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
Will a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5118 run WoW?
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
Help
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Well, isn't it possible that they could use this new patching tech to update tooltips? I don't see why not...updating client files is updating client files, regardless of how small or large the patch is.

Not if it's changing only the wow executables.

As wow has many locales currently the text for the tooltips is kept in the MPQ data files.

IE

[Locale MPQ file] ----- Text for Tooltips ------> Wow Client -----> Tooltip displayed on screen.

It's setup this way as it makes the whole process of developing the wow client easier. Instead of having 12 different wow client programs each localised for a particular locale it's easier just to store the localised version of the tooltips in the MPQ files and change them.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Are you kidding me? Only on these forums will players complain about things being fixed more frequently.

Well to be fair here. Feyranna has a very valid point.

Every time (and I do mean every time) one of these smaller client patches has come out there have been people with technical issues from it.

You may not of noticed as you seem to wander the General forums more but I frequent the Tech Support forums on a regular basis and I've definitely seen the patching issues from these more frequent patches.

IMHO messaging like this comes too little too late. After the 2nd bug fix patch to only the 32 bit and 64 bit client they should of put out a sticky about it. Not now after 10 of them.

Why not sooner Bashiok ?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just wish I didn't have to wait 5 minutes for my professions to load after each of these patches
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
Sweet, no more bad tooltip issues.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
Also if i may add bring back all the old hunter aspects because this aspect of the iron hawk well... kinda dumb. talent trees would also be nice just a suggestion not a demand.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Im wondering if this is the very reason why the game has become so very laggy for me with no visible signs of an ms increase.

Every turn I make or step I take, the entire world jerks around, and oddly enough this too started around 2-3 days ago.
Edited by Macstabby on 4/4/2013 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]