Soul Reaper - Is it Worth It for 2H Frost?

90 Undead Death Knight
So here's my question to the other Death Knights in the raiding community. I know the tier 15 set bonuses make Soul Reaper a little more appealing. But prior to the 4-pc set bonus from tier 15, is Soul Reaper worth spending the Frost Rune on? I still include SR in my current priority list, but I'm struggling with the justification. Especially given the rate at which I am regening runes due to my haste.

I'd really like to hear from the other 2H Frost DK's currently pushing similar content. Again I am still using it in my priority list, but I am struggling to justify it in my mind. Especially given how hard Obliterate hits. Would the frost rune be better spent along side an unholy rune on another Obliterate?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
soul reaper is the hardest hitting ability per rune frost has

lol...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
It might be strange to think about it at first but consider it as an efficiency thing. Obliterate consumes two runes and does awesome damage. Soul reaper only consumes one rune, but still hits like a truck. On a rune for rune basis, soul reaper hits harder. The T15 bonus will only make this better as a soul reaper crit is insane damage. I'll try and see how it feels once I get my 4piece and I'll post back
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
#1 reason people think Soul reaper sucks

they don't factor the initial damage
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
#1 reason people think Soul reaper sucks

they don't factor the initial damage

Which really messes up dps meters... or it might just be mine. Freaking annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I agree, i don't even bother using "Soul Reaper" because "Obliterate" will likely proc a free Howling, I think Soulreaper should be changed to deal "ShadowFrost" damage. I also think "Obliterate" should deal full damage on targets as long as they have "Frost Fever" because it's hardly worth using "Plague Strike" as a Frost DK. That and bring back auto targeting for spells.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I agree, i don't even bother using "Soul Reaper" because "Obliterate" will likely proc a free Howling, I think Soulreaper should be changed to deal "ShadowFrost" damage. I also think "Obliterate" should deal full damage on targets as long as they have "Frost Fever" because it's hardly worth using "Plague Strike" as a Frost DK. That and bring back auto targeting for spells.

Someone wants to be able to bot his DK. hehe
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Thanks Pwn. Again I'm not saying it isn't worth it. Just asking for input.

If the best you have to contribute is "???LOL??? please troll another forum.
Edited by Mortiferon on 3/31/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I love the notion of making soul reaper shadow frost but then I'd mourn the compensation nerfs to letting us all have a more optimal execute. Especially since it isn't that weak already just feels more clunky as 2 handed frost.
Reply Quote
no. A thousand times no.

If you make soul reaper shadow frost damage so mastery buffs it your pre execute damage has to be toned down to compensate.

Removing blood plague requirement off of obliterate for max damage would make the dps rotation for 2h frost even more mongoloid than it is now.

Hello kitty island adventure is probably a game more your speed
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
Removing blood plague requirement off of obliterate for max damage would make the dps rotation for 2h frost even more mongoloid than it is now.

Like adding Frost Fever to Plague Strike for Unholy and then adding Icy Touch to Reaping?
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Machival

Like adding Frost Fever to Plague Strike for Unholy and then adding Icy Touch to Reaping?
are we talking about unholy now? without blood plague upkeep 2h is literally a 3 button spec (minus cds)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/31/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Machival

Unholy is still more difficult than Frost.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
We're kind of getting off target here. The point of the thread is to discuss the use of Soul Reaper.

another $0.02 worth. As far as an execute ability goes... it doesn't seem to fit into the execute category to me. Especially when you compare it to other execute abilties... like Execute. I feel like the proc dmg needs to scale a bit more. As an execute ability there should be no questioning its use in the rotation. And the difference between Obliterate and Soul Reaper is a marginal 3% difference at best one way or the other.
Reply Quote
We're kind of getting off target here. The point of the thread is to discuss the use of Soul Reaper.

another $0.02 worth. As far as an execute ability goes... it doesn't seem to fit into the execute category to me. Especially when you compare it to other execute abilties... like Execute. I feel like the proc dmg needs to scale a bit more. As an execute ability there should be no questioning its use in the rotation. And the difference between Obliterate and Soul Reaper is a marginal 3% difference at best one way or the other.
theres really no debate about it.
per rune its more damage than obliterate. with ToT tier 4 piece adding soul reaper to km procs its pretty set in stone that soul reaper > oblit
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
NI
Soul Reaper is not really an option for dps Dks of any spec, it hits like a truck even when i'm offspec as blood. If your too lazy to keep track of boss HP and when to use it then get weakauras. Frost is already the faceroll spec, i dont see why people complain about having to add one button to your already 5 button spec (including CDs).

Soul Reaper IMO is the best thing single ability that Blizzard has ever added to the DK, it makes you pay attention a little more and also creates a higher skill cap. A good DK will know how to save runes so they can have 100% uptime on Soulreaper once the boss reaches 35% or will use it when the boss is at 36%-38% knowing by the end of the 5 seconds the boss will be below 35%. Its an amazing ability with a lot of depth but not too overly complicated for a new player to understand.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

3% difference

but one is half the cost.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Unholy is still more difficult than Frost.

Neither spec is difficult... lol.
Edited by Rikku on 4/1/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
1.34 million Soul Reaper crit on Horridon is nice.

I say use whatever you want to, but don't expect to be maxing out damage meters when you're not playing the class optimally.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]