Still Learning Ret

90 Draenei Paladin
Should I be stacking haste or strength?

As I am currently gemmed and enchanted, what changes would be best? I'm hearing one side say str is the way to go, but a larger group say haste. Should I be using str/haste gems instead of str gems?

Just want to settle the confusion I'm having.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hiya.

Here is a helpful guide for anyone still getting the hang of Ret.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657441833

It goes over all the basics.

I also highly recommend the Reforgelite addon as it will make your reforging easy and precise and even out your caps which are currently a bit off.

Another addon that would greatly benefit you is CLCRet, it is a rotation helper and Inquisition tracker to boot. Excellent for new players still getting the hang of the rotation.

As for your specific question there is a certain break point unique to every persons gear setup where stacking strength looses out to Haste. You'd have to sim your character to be certain but I'd guess that with your item level you're pretty close to the point, and even if you're not going a bit early is no great loss in effectiveness plus it makes your rotation so much smoother.

After that point you stack Haste as much as possible. Haste gems in yellow sockets, Str/Haste in Red and Hit/Haste in Blue. So that would be the way to go in fixing your gemming.

As for your enchanting the only major bit is you should snag the strength enchants for your hands and bracers when you can.

That's about it at a casual glance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Thank you! I do have reforgelite. I guess my main concern was in gemming. Thanks for the info!

I'm pulling 55k-65k dps in LFR and think it can be a lot better with the current gear I have.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/29/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Dalesong
Thank you!

Your welcome. :)

03/29/2013 01:39 AMPosted by Dalesong
I do have reforgelite.

Then fire it up and fix your hit and expertise caps! :P

Also just noticed you have the Tanking enchant on your cloak along with some Tank gloves, getting geared I can understand using armor not for your spec especially if Prot is your main as your armory suggest.

But maybe slap either 180 hit or 180 Crit on your cloak depending on your needs, unless you don't want to mess up your Tank cloak I suppose.

I'm pulling 55k-65k dps in LFR and think it can be a lot better with the current gear I have.

Yep. You'd be amazed at how much better fixing your gemming and reforging can make ya.

Happy DPSing!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Also just noticed you have the Tanking enchant on your cloak along with some Tank gloves, getting geared I can understand using armor not for your spec especially if Prot is your main as your armory suggest.

Yeah....I was fiddling around with both my sets (prot is my ms) and got them mixed up.

I do that a lot. Should have the correct gear on now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Cadenbrie is right on with her assessment. I am not sure if you are using your dps pieces for your tank spec as well, BUT, you do not need 15% on expertise for ret. You should also never be gemming for expertise or hit. You will be able to obtain 7.5% hit and expertise through your gear (And since you are dranei, you only need 6.5% on hit when using Starshatter). Your bracers should have the strength enchant and not mastery. And last but certainly not least, if you have the VP, you need to swap out that blue trinket for the new 522 VP trinket and you will see a big difference in your dps, even though the rep trinket is not bis. The Shado Pan Assault rep cloak and ring are very nice as well, but this all hinges on if you have the VP or not. It is very easy to get confused when playing both specs, but it is better to get "confused" the other way around, meaning going from ret to prot. lol. I hope this helps!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
You should also never be gemming for expertise...

Agreed, with caveat; at lower gear levels, it is sometimes acceptable though not really recommended.

...or hit.

Disagreed. If the blue socket's bonus is worthwhile (which pretty much all socket bonuses are for Ret), then using a hybrid gem is recommended - and hit is the only blue stat worth using for Ret. And a Draenei's hit racial is always in effect, regardless of weapon type; a Draenei Paladin only ever needs to find 6.5% hit.

Directly to OP, you are grossly over the expertise cap and still forging very much into it; this is all wasted stats. Bracer enchant should be for strength; would recommend Pandaren's Step for boots unless using Pursuit of Justice, as the increased passive movement speed from the enchant - though minor - is still quite helpful.

To gemming, you have definitely reached the point where haste-biased gemming is recommended over strength-biased; this means you want Quick yellow gems in yellow and prismatic sockets, Fierce orange gems in reds, and Lightning greens in blues.

Would give you your individual weights, but SimCraft's screwed up and returned a 0 weight for expertise (probably due to over-capping) and a negative hit weight (no idea there); based on your gear, I recommend haste>>crit>mastery reforging as I seem to recall that being roughly the best method for that level of gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haste all the way,
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Would give you your individual weights, but SimCraft's screwed up and returned a 0 weight for expertise (probably due to over-capping) and a negative hit weight (no idea there); based on your gear, I recommend haste>>crit>mastery reforging as I seem to recall that being roughly the best method for that level of gear.

I appreciate the help!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Isnt the stat priority for pve: hit/exp to 7.5%>haste>mastery>crit?

The extra dmg from mastery is holy dmg which does not get reduced by armor. So with mastery a larger portion of each hit goes "straight through" as it were (aka not reduced by mobs armor rating). While crit is RNG and the physical portion of the crit is being reduced by armor.

I dont remember the exact math, but i believe mastery provides the most dmg over time vs crit since every attack but judgment is benefiting from mastery.

Has the new tier changed our stat priority at a certain gear lvl? I havent been keeping up with pve gearing as i mainly focus on pvp so maybe i missed the memo?
Edited by Icandygriz on 3/30/2013 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Mastery and crit will flip/flop at certain gear levels; it really just depends on how much of which stat is present, as all secondaries scale linearly for us. For most of T14, every time I went to adjust my weights, crit was over mastery. Critical hits do, also, increase mastery damage, since HoL procs are based on size of initial damage. As a personal preference, I would favor mastery to crit, as I don't like the associated RNG; but with a free 10% to crit from Inq, the RNG is nowhere near as bad as it once was.

Also, Exo is still unaffected by mastery.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]