Game: Redesign your healing spec

90 Blood Elf Priest
Meh. My descriptions were meant to be broad.

The main points are (1) that I fail to see much meaningful distinction between what Riot labels "puddles" and other locational / positional based AoE heals; and (2) why are heals that simply dump healing on people in a group or people near a target, better than a smart heal that moves from the target to the lowest health member? For that matter, why are smart heals worse than, say, Cascade?

1) The problem with puddles is that they're rigid. They work really, really well in one specific raid configuration and really, really badly in most of the rest, with only a few in-between cases. On top of that, the configuration where they work well is boring (I mean, it's fine for a few fights, but we wouldn't want every fight to be Ultraxion, or even Megaera).

The other position-sensitive heals we have in the game at the moment are better because they keep what's actually interesting about puddles (attention to raid/self-positioning, targeting, and timing) but are much more flexible. There are far more raid configurations where they work well, and they can work pretty well even when they're not optimal.

2) The issue with smart heals, as I understand it, is that they don't make you think about targeting or timing, because they just automatically heal the people who need it most. And when they do make you think (e.g. CH on a spread raid) they're just frustrating because they can be broken easily by factors that are out of your control.

PoH keeps targeting decisions in the hands of the healer. It's part of why I like playing a priest - I like that control.

Cascade, Renewing Mist, and Uplift leave the decision partially in the hands of the game engine, but in a way that isn't guaranteed to optimize the heal every time - and if you know how they work, you can affect the game engine's decisions in interesting ways that might make the resulting heal more optimal. It makes them really fun (if occasionally difficult) spells to work with.

Not going to defend Holy Radiance. It's a puddle without the puddle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think they've done a great job with Disc this time around. I am very pleased.

I get to stack crit and not spirit. I get to play the way I always wanted to.

I wouldn't change a thing.

So...you've always wanted to play a shadowpriest with stronger heals? Thats why I dont heal on my priest anymore..its idiotic...I rolled a healer to HEAL, not to dps the boss..thats what I have this toon for...
Edited by Ysanne on 4/9/2013 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/09/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Sadiemay
This would also require redesigning all current damage patterns, I'm afraid.

World of Cooldowncraft isn't as fun as healing used to be.

Agreed. If I were Lead Healing Designer, I would seriously reduce the number of raid cooldowns. Keep Divine Hymn and Tranq as spells but make them less ridiculous - they should be about on par with popping a throughput CD.

(Personal throughput cooldowns are fine, and I'd probably add more of those to replace the raid CDs. And I would make Guardian of Ancient Kings - Holy Edition less stupid.)

I'd also kill healer absorbs other than PWS. I'd keep tank absorbs, though. <3 Blood DKs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
04/09/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Kaels
I understand it, is that they don't make you think about targeting or timing, because they just automatically heal the people who need it most.

That's what people who are bad at using smart heals think. You definitely have decisions to make about who to target.

Although I guess your post would apply to atonement.

04/09/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Kaels
The other position-sensitive heals we have in the game at the moment are better because they keep what's actually interesting about puddles (attention to raid/self-positioning, targeting, and timing) but are much more flexible.

I suppose it would be nice if you could put HR on folks with the reticule, and it would just apply a HoT, instead of requiring the person to stay in place.
Edited by Taymage on 4/9/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So...you've always wanted to play a shadowpriest with stronger heals? Thats why I dont heal on my priest anymore..its idiotic...I rolled a healer to HEAL, not to dps the boss..thats what I have this toon for...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That's what people who are bad at using smart heals think. You definitely have decisions to make about who to target.

Although I guess your post would apply to atonement.

Atonement, Eminence, CoH, WG, Ancestral Awakening, LoD, HST, statue Soothing Mist...pretty much all of them but PoM, CH, and Efflo.

(There is a marginal gain from good targeting of CoH and WG. Nothing exciting. The rest aren't even targeted.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Atonement, Eminence, CoH, WG, Ancestral Awakening, LoD, HST, statue Soothing Mist...pretty much all of them but PoM, CH, and Efflo.

That's kind of a, well, weird list. Those things work so differently, I'm not really sure what to say. I mean, Atonement is nothing like anything else on the list at all. The priest is just attacking the boss. And AA . . . who cares. HST is essentially an aura that has to be refreshed every 30 seconds. WG *is* directed to a target (although I understand the the smart heal functions within 30 yards of the target). Exact same thing for circle of healing. Likewise, the statue is targeted but the range for eminence is only 20 yards.
Edited by Taymage on 4/11/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's exactly his point, none of these smart heals are targeted.

Likewise, the statue is targeted but the range for eminence is only 20 yards from the location where it is placed.

The Soothing Mist that the statue casts has a stupid long range, like 40 yards, and it picks its own target. Also WG is targeted towards an area -- you can cast it on an enemy, and it'll hit 5 friendlies within 30 yards of that enemy. You can cast it on a friendly and it might not choose that friendly target.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The Soothing Mist that the statue casts has a stupid long range, like 40 yards, and it picks its own target. Also WG is targeted towards an area

Right. So in other words, you have choice in selecting your initial target or location, which is what I was saying . . .
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You have the choice, but it doesn't really matter. The difference between me just casting CoH on a random target vs. casting it on the ideal target is usually zero, although it could be up to 20% if my randomly-chosen target is at full health. So really I only care about targeting to the extent that I want to pick one target who's taken damage.

Funky raid positioning could make it worse than that, but I usually solve that by standing in the middle and casting it on myself. Really, the thought process that goes into CoH consists of "are there 5 people in the raid who have taken damage, and do I want to spend the mana to heal them right now?"

And most smart heals don't even have the minimal positioning/targeting awareness reward that CoH does. WG can just be centered on the boss so it can hit anyone who's not being stupid, or if you cast it on a friendly who isn't hurt, it'll just pick a 5th smart target instead. The rest - barring CH, PoM, and Efflo - aren't even targeted at all.
Edited by Kaels on 4/11/2013 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
We were originally talking about the type of thought that needs to go into proper or effective use of smart heals. Your thesis was "they don't make you think about targeting or timing, because they just automatically heal the people who need it most." This idea is along the lines of "smart make healing semi-thoughtless."

I understand that, but I don't totally agree, because there is, in fact, a difference between healers who know how to properly and most effectively use their smart heals, and those who don't. It also depends, as you acknowledge at least in part, on which spell we are talking about, given they function differently.

The problem I have with your list is that (1) you are attempting to make it appear as if there a large number of important smart heals; and on a related note, (2) you don't really acknowledge the serious weaknesses of some of the smart heals you listed. Regarding WG and CoH, they are in fact targeted. I realize this doesn't matter as much as for CH because the range is large. But to the extent this large range makes the spells a touch too easy, who cares? - they both have cooldowns.

You also listed HST. Well ok. I'm not really sure the issue with HST is the fact that it is a smart heal, so much as it is essentially a passive healing increase that comes along with the existence of a shaman in the raid. And AA isn't really worth mentioning, although maybe it will be with the 4 piece.

Is LoD as effective as Atonement? Idk, you'd have to tell me that, you have the pally.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Everything would work the same way it does now except efflo ticks would give a chance to proc a 100% crit chance on healing touch, making it necessary to cast that instead of regrowth. It would look like the "top" on the OOC circle, like frost mages with their three proc rings around the character. The proc would only last 5 seconds and would have an ICD of at least 15-20 seconds, meaning sometimes you wouldn't get it if you're mending on CD. Also, the rejuv glyph that makes nourish a faster cast when rejuv is on three people would become baseline. I can't really think of anything else.

EDIT: once you cast healing touch you use up the proc, obviously.
Edited by Anoru on 4/11/2013 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1: Nourish. Heals for an additional 25% if you have a hot active on any party member.

2: Healing Touch. Also heals a friendly injured target for 60% of the total within 10 yards.

3: Wild Mushrooms: One stack to place. Same CD on spell use.

4: Rejuv: Increased front loaded healing without adding more to the total spell output.

5: WildGrowth. Can't heal friendly pets.

I would say only increase the healing of nourish by 20%, and only have it be increased if it is being casted on a player who already has a rejuv. You have to make these things semi-specific or you take all the fun (skill) out of it.

Disagree with the healing touch idea.

Disagree with the rejuv idea.

EDITS: If you actually think about what a good player could do with these mechanics.... The most important thing to do when designing a healing spec is to give the player the ability to do two things better and better as he/she gains skill:

1. Throttle HPS up and down

2. Use as little mana as possible

Procs are a great way to keep people on their toes while they heal. A resto druid with this playstyle would be so fun to play, as it would become about maintaining SM on CD, rejuv on three targets, LB on the tank, WG on CD, and nourish to fill. That would be such a fun rotation, since you would be on your toes constantly to catch Healing Touch procs and Regrowth procs from OOC. I wanted to have the proc be super short so it would be something that you would get every 30 or 40 seconds, and its like, "Oh damn I got this sick proc, I have like a split second to find the right target for it." You know? Also for pvp it would just be amazing to get to cast healing touch on purpose, like ever, outside of NS. :P

But if you think about it even more, it would also force you to think about your efflo placement at the same time, because the more ticks you get the higher the chance you'll get a proc, all while not wasting too much of the initial Swiftmend heal as overhealing just to get efflo down.

P.S. also this 100% crit chance heal would also be free.

P.P.S. I made it efflo instead of like rejuv ticks because I wanted it to have a skill cap for pvp, since a heal that big can be game changing, (especially when its free!)

Like seriously can you imagine like being oom and suddenly getting this proc for only 5 seconds and like trying to fake someone with it while you clench your !@#$ hoping the proc doesn'r run out before you can cast? The possible clutchness makes me squeal.
Edited by Anoru on 4/11/2013 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would reduce the amount of heals that all classes have-- mainly in the aoe department. I personally think that spamming aoe smart heals is a little bit boring. Target selection should be important for healers.

Next I would change mana regen. I would remove all passive in combat mana regen. Spirit would increase your maximum mana instead. I think this would increase the importance of spell selection and mana conservation.

Then I would reduce enemy damage and reduce the amount all heals heal for. This would allow for greater variety in healer gameplay and really give flash type heals a chance to shine. Healing should be a marathon, not a race to top up targets. They tried it in cataclysm but didn't go far enough to really make it work.

I would also like to play around with giving healers the ability to support their team-mates by increasing their dps somehow. Maybe offensive cooldowns like how power infusion used to be or something else.

I have no idea if my changes would actually work to make healing more fun, but it's fun to think about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'd drop the external tank cd's like ironbark, pain sup, ect. and reduce the power of all raid cd's to 10% more of our maximum aoe healing throughput. Example: barrier reduced damage by 10% for all standing under it. Tranquility coefficient reduced significantly. Divine hymn heals as much hps as PoH spam, but has the benefit of boosting healing received by 5% per target it hits, and it does well with spread aoe. This would also reduce the dependance on absorb healers for harder fights because there wouldn't be these insane aoe healer checks where you're intended to roll 3 minute cd's.

I'd normalize tank hp on gear. You can still gem and enchant stamina, but the gear itself will have the same stamina values as dps and healer gear. A non-healing note: I'd make vengeance scale with the outgoing tank damage instead of incoming tank damage.

I'd make aoe spells total healing done equal to (or close to) the bigger healing nuke spells. Like Chain Heal on all targets = Greater Healing Wave. Divine Light = Holy Radiance. Greater Heal = Prayer of Healing. Bring back single target heals

Smart heals are proximity based instead of lowest hp priority. Casting a wild growth on a target will heal the 4 (or 5 if glyphed) nearest targets to the initial target.

I'd nerf all of the tier 14 four piece set bonuses for all healing classes.

Resto Druid:
- Cenarion Ward benifits from haste
- Force of Nature works with Glyph of Healing Touch
- Soul of the Forest does 60% increased haste down from 75%
- I'd add Moonfire/Sunfire to the Wrath, Starfire, Starsurge, and Melee abilities increase next spell's healing done portion to Dream of Cenarius
- I'd bump down the coefficient or regrowth OR bump up Healing Touch and Nourish so that all 3 spells are balanced from a hps/hpm standpoint.
- I'd reduce the uptime of Harmony (their buff from direct heals from mastery) so you have to think about it again or...
- OR i'd put the "heals for an additional 20% if the target has your hot rolling" portion of nourish on both Healing Touch and Regrowth
- Glyph of Blooming reduces duration of Lifebloom by 9 seconds and increases the bloom portion by 90%
- Glyph of Healing Touch reduces Swiftmend cd by 2 seconds up from 1
- Planting Wild Mushrooms is off the global cooldown
- Efflorescence is triggered by Wild Mushrooms instead of Swiftmend. The radius of efflorescence has been increased by 4 yards.

Resto Shaman
- Increase the proc chance on Echo of the Elements
- I'd leave the 75 tier alone because Healing Tide would be getting nerfed (see above)
- Reduce the cast time on elemental blast to 1.5 sec and increase the secondary stats by a percentage instead of a fixed value. This can benefit from Echo of the Elements procs and can proc the same of one stat.
- Unleashed fury works with AOE spells and hots in addition to single target heals
- Primal Elementalist increases healing done and pets' attacks will proc guarantee an earthliving proc. Channeling their powers into you increase healing done in addition to their current effects (still reduce damage taken and increase damage done)
- Reduce the coefficient of Healing Rain and increase the radius by 2 yards
- Reduce the coefficient of greater heal
- increase the coefficient of riptide
- glyph of chaining increases jump by 150% up from 100%
- new air totem: kindred spirits link: links two targets health pools for 15 seconds. All damage taken and healing taken is shared. 30 second cd. Pet action bar appears for targeting two targets OR a targeting reticle appears to place the totem and the damage and healing is split with you and anyone standing on the totem.

Holy Paladin:
- All level 90 talents have a mana cost
- Selfless Healer also allows judgement to be cast on friendly targets in addition to its current effects
- Sacred Shield has no cd and is affected by haste
- Unbreakable spirit reduces the cd on forbearance spells by 5% up from 1%
- Hand of Purity off the gcd
- Sanctified Wrath reduces the cd of holy shock by 70% up from 50%
- Holy Avenger also grants Holy Light, Divine Light, and Flash of Light the ability to generate holy power for its duration.
- Holy Shock cd is affected by haste
- Increase the holy prism coefficient
- Reduce Execution Sentence to 40 seconds
- Illuminated healing is a fixed value per spell. Say divine light gets X amount of absorb depending on mastery rating, Holy Radiance does 0.2*X per target diminishing after 6 targets. (Basically, reducing the amount of Illuminated healing on aoe spells and keeping it the same for single target spells)
- Light of Dawn does more healing the closer the targets are to the paladin casting it
- Super wishful thinking: Holy Paladin armor converts strength to int. Spellpower plate has been removed from the game.
- Glyph beacon of light has been removed. Beacon of Light is off the gcd by default.

Getting food. I'll write up more when I get back.
Edited by Twistedmind on 4/12/2013 4:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Mistweaver Monk
- I haven't updated my spreadsheet with the tier 30 talents. If they need coeficient adjustments, I'd change w/e makes sense from a (total dps+hps) / cd time.
- Power Strikes is every 10 seconds (up from 20)
- Ascension no longer increases mana size. Instead, spending chi has a 30% chance to refund 1 chi (regardless if 1 chi or 2 chi was spent)
- Chi Brew is a 1 min cd (up from 1.5)
- Charging Ox wave is a 20 sec cd and interrupts spell casting in addition to the stun.
- Rushing Jade Wind no longer has a chi cost and increases healing taken by eminence and soothing mist (in addition to spinning crane kick)
- Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger cd lowered to 2 minutes
- Chi Torpedo no longer replaces roll, but has a 12 second cd
- Muscle Memory can stack up to 4 times
- Soothing mist increases chi proc chance linearly over the 8 second duration (0 sec: 20% chance; 2 sec: 40% chance; 4 sec: 60% chance; 6 sec: 80% chance; 8 sec: 100% chance)
- Glyph of Uplift removed. New glyph: Glyph of Enveloping Mist: Removes the chi cost of Enveloping Mist. Enveloping Mist now costs mana.
- Enveloping mist has a 2 chi cost, down from 3.
- Thunder Focus Tea no longer has a chi cost. Thunder Focus Tea now allows for the next 2 Renewing Mists cast to no longer have a cooldown.
- Healing Spheres from Gift of the Serpent will now roll towards the closest target at 30% movement speed (think shadowy apparitions)

Discipline Priest
- Atonement only heals for 50% of the damage done by smite, holy fire, and penance
- Evangelism no longer reduces mana cost of smite, holy fire, and penance
- Evangelism increases damage done by 2% per stack (down from 4%)
- Smite costs 1.14% base mana (down from 2.7%)
- Archangel increases healing done by 4% per stack (down from 5%)
- Rapture refunds 4.575% mana (a refund of the cost in inner fire, a gain in inner will)
- Absorb spells properly benefit from Twist of Fate
- Spirit Shell benefits from the Shield percentage portion of Mastery: Shield Discipline
- Strength of Soul reduces Weakened Soul by 4 seconds (up from 2)
- Glyph of Weakened Soul reduces the Weakened Soul to 12 seconds (down from 13)
- In game power auras track divine insight. Divine Insight procced spells (pw:s and pom) will no longer overwrite an existing pw:s/pom.
- Power Infusion increases damage done by 10% (up from 5%)
- Glyph of Penance now removes the initial tick of penance in exchange for the casting while moving
- Glyph of Holy Nova removed. Holy Nova is a baseline for all priests
- Holy Nova for discipline will now heal for increased healing received if the target has an existing absorb effect from the casting priest

Holy Priest
- Dominate Mind is now baseline for all priests. Shadow Priest spell Silence is now in the tier 15 talent choices.
- Chakra cooldown reduced to 5 seconds
- Mastery: Echoes of Light is affected by haste. Duration of effect is also affected by haste. Amount of healing per tick decays over the duration of the effect.
- Prayer of Mending no longer benefits from chakra sanctuary
- Holy Word: Sanctuary ticks receive 15.62% of spellpower (up from 5.83% of SpellPower). Radius increased by 2 yards. Ticks are still affected by haste, and can now proc echoes of light.
- Renew no longer does increased healing in chakra: serenity. The duration can still be refreshed from single target heals
- The buff from Holy Word: Serenity now increases healing received by a flat 25%
- Chakra: Chastise no longer affects shadow spells
- Lightwell is now interactable by /command and clicks on it can be macro'd.
- New Spell: Blessed Prayers: the priest can activate blessed prayers to regenerate 1.14% of base mana per stack of Evangelism. 30 second cooldown.
- Power Word: Solace now replaces smite for holy priests. Smite costs no mana and regenerates mana based upon damage done by the power word: solace.
- From Darkness Comes Light now procs from prayer of healing for holy priests (3% per target)
- Guardian Spirit actually works now.
- Spirit of Redemption now returns the casting priest to 10% hp after the 15 sec duration. 5 minute cd.
- Glyph Circle of Healing: Circle of Healing now heals an additional target, but the radius has been reduced by 3 yards
- Glyph of Binding Heal now heals the nearest target for 75% of the healing done, but no longer heals the casting priest
- In chakra chastise: holy nova does much more damage and also does shadow damage
- In chakra: sanctuary: holy nova does two waves of healing. One wave does more healing to targets farther away, one wave does more healing to targets closer to the priest.
- In chakra: serenity: holy nova no longer heals other targets. Instead, it implodes and only heals the casting priest for the full amount.
Edited by Twistedmind on 4/14/2013 5:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
8 Dwarf Priest
A non-healing note: I'd make vengeance scale with the outgoing tank damage instead of incoming tank damage.

i don't understand this. it just seems like it would scale with weapon damage or gear (i.e. so why have vengeance at all vs. better gear scaling), but also because it scales with gear it would make a mid-level geared tank exponentially better than a lower geared, and a high-geared tank exponentially better than a mid-level. that just seems really hard to balance around, as well as making the game hell to play for lesser geared tanks in lfr or dungeon situations.

the fact vengeance scales with incoming damage means it can scale in a very controllable, linear fashion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
What I was getting at was the initial design intention at the start of mists being that tanks doing damage should matter. The intention is to also allow other tanks besides paladins the enjoyment stacking dps stats. If the outgoing damage a tank can produce is too much, I'd personally put in some safety checks that make sure their outgoing damage is calculated after accounting for dodging or parrying a swing, to ensure that 10 mans don't just stack 5 tanks for all fights. But that isn't even healer related. I just mentioned it because I think tank damage is too spikey and their gameplay isn't as interesting, so I tacked it on the end of my hp normalization suggestion. I was also trying to bring up how strange it is to be adjusting to our biggest nuke heals to heal tanks because their hp pool is so much larger than other raiders, and the damage they're taking is so much bigger.

Something else I didn't mention above but meant to is they should get rid of meditation and just let spirit regen at the full 100% out of combat rate. I know in the current version of the game this would be havoc, but the intention would be to let those other secondary stats increase the bulk of the healing increase over the life of the expansion, not so much the spirit level.

Like think back to being a fresh 90. We can't even use all of our spells because we're so tethered to spirit. Two raids later and some of us (cough priests) are still stacking spirit on every piece of gear, every gem slot. Like, mastery/crit/haste are almost afterthoughts because it's spirit first, of course. The ratios are like 2xspirit + 0.3*mastery + 0.3*crit + 0.3*haste= total secondary stats, and that's just boring. It should be spirit + mastery + crit + haste = total secondary stats, and taking more or less of a particular secondary is a gameplay choice.

Granted, if spirit was all over gear and the ratio of mana gained wasn't kept in check with how much haste rating you have, it would need to be adjusted of course. But what I'm getting at is hopefully more gear crossover with the hybrid dps classes and more choices as to how to build our secondary stats. Like, the item designers could intentionally leave off half the gear slots open to be pieces with no spirit and double throughput secondaries. And we'd have the freedom for more varied style choices instead of some instructional site saying, "as a healer you want one of your stats on a piece of gear with spirit, then X amount of haste, and then stack crit/mastery".

You could be like, my gear ratio's are: 0.5*spirit + 0.5*mastery + 2*crit + haste = total secondaries. My playstyle is getting lucky crits and then saving mana by not casting again, so I can get away with lower spirit. I can have spectacular saves, but I need a healer partner with more consistent healing to cover for the times when I don't crit.

Or something like: 2*spirit + 0.25*mastery + 0.25*crit + 2*haste = total secondaries. This playstyle is the fast caster. I can't doing burst throughput on my heals, but I can layer in lots of quicker heals to steady people out and try to minimize overhealing (or be the first reaction on the scene). I need a healer partner who can pad people in the low demand portions of the fight so I can save my mana for the harder hitting portions.

Or say you're a druid with 0.5 spirit + 2*mastery + 0.25*crit + 0.25*haste = total secondaries. With this playstyle, I can't really keep people up through burstier damage spikes, but I can roll hots padding on the raid and keep people steadily topped or always recovering with the drawback of larger overhealing. I need a partner who can do burstier healing recovery or hangtime padding (absorbs) to let my hots do their work.

Or I'm a class that likes dumping off my most expensive heals and spamming: 2*spirit + 0.3*mastery + 0.3*crit + 0.3*haste = total secondaries. I can spam all day (think patch 5.1 poh disc priest, or wrath pw:s spam priest, bc chain heal spam shammy) and stay up forever and my overhealing is high, but my actual heals are pretty weak. I need someone to triage the targets I'm not blindly spamming on in the event that the encounter will actually target specific targets. Someone with a wide arsenal of spells to handle those situations and is stacking 0.25*spirit + 1.25*mastery + 1.25* crit + 1.25 haste = total secondaries would compliment well.

Hopefully that illustrates it clearly.
Edited by Twistedmind on 4/12/2013 1:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Something else I didn't mention above but meant to is they should get rid of meditation and just let spirit regen at the full 100% out of combat rate. I know in the current version of the game this would be havoc, but the intention would be to let those other secondary stats increase the bulk of the healing increase over the life of the expansion, not so much the spirit level.

They'd have to make raid bosses do twice the damage they do now if they were to do something like this. Part of the reason the bosses in DS did a lot of AoE was because of how regen was just too good at a certain gearing point.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
04/12/2013 02:00 AMPosted by Jujubiju

They'd have to make raid bosses do twice the damage they do now if they were to do something like this. Part of the reason the bosses in DS did a lot of AoE was because of how regen was just too good at a certain gearing point.

Yeah, I tried to preemptively answer that by saying it would be havoc in the current version. What I was trying to say is that we should have spells and mana costs adjusted to be able to use our spells as freely as we do now, and the scaling power over the course of the expansion is coming from increases in mastery, crit, and haste (and int) instead of the current version (only using a fraction of our spells in the beginning, and then shifting up to only using expensive heals near the end). In this proposed model spirit is still for longevity, but by taking more of it you're giving up those other valuable secondary stats. Right now, we don't feel any drastic gameplay effects from stacking spirit at the expense of throughput secondary stats. We definitely feel serious problems if we stack throughput secondaries at the expense of spirit. This is why gearing is so boring (spirit + any throughput secondary; forget about getting a piece with throughput secondary + throughput secondary). I'm just looking for some even secondary footing and hopefully freedom of spell choice unrestricted by gear. I still want mana to matter depending on your gearing strategy.

Also, the twice damage thing *should* be stopped if all my suggestions are taken because aoe healing spells are normalized with our single target spells, and the 3 minute cd's are neutered. If some players are to return to wrath style spam healing, it should be at the heavy cost of their other secondaries. So they can spam expensive heals all day, but they aren't actually doing that much healing. But most of that is just ratios of how much does X stat give me point per point kind of work (the kind that can be done in between expansions). I'm just talking in theoretical space.
Also to clarify with aoe spells from above. I'm wishing they were more normalized around our nuke heals because I feel that will shift some value back to single target healing and triage. In the current game, we're more or less waiting for an opportunity to use an aoe spell, and then maximizing hps gains because from a healing per mana and healing per second standpoint, that's the best way to go. If aoe was neutered to be about the same healing per mana and hps as some of our single target heals, we might actually use our single target heals AND that might bring back some healer teamwork in pve. I'm not glued to healer assignments or anything, but the current hps epeen contests are anything but cohesive. If we had to do assignments for an encounter or organize rolling aoes, that would at least make this not such an individual experience for me and bring back some of the tight-knit healer teams I used to enjoy in Vanilla/BC.

I'm trying to hit several problems at once with the aoe change. I think spell healing breakdowns should look like this:
Prayer of Healing: 17%
Prayer of Mending: 17%
Spirit Shell: 17%
PW:S: 17%
Gheal: 17%
Heal: 7%
Atonement: 8%

Not:
Spirit Shell: 38%
Divine Aegis: 32%
Prayer of Healing: 16%
PW:S: 8%
Atonement: 6%

Or
Atonement: 46%
Divine Aegis: 24%
PW:S: 10%
Spirit Shell: 10%
Prayer of Healing: 10%

And if I were to summarize my wall of text, hopefully it's clear that puddles, proximity based 'smart' heals, the 3 heal cata model, absorbs, class uniqueness, steering away from homogenization, and aoe heals all have a place in the game. Super powerful hps/hpm spells, over the top cd's, excessive reliance on spirit, and brainless smart heals (as in the ones that simply prioritize low hp targets) do not have a place. Apologies if it made your eyes bleed.

!One more thing: mana tide and hymn of hope should do the same amount of mana back per cd time, hit every raider equally, be unaffected by spirit or scaling, and no fiddling with size of mana pools and the like.
Edited by Twistedmind on 4/12/2013 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]