Pally or monk for heals?

1 Human Hunter
Which is more enjoyable? Off topic i would also like to tank. I was thinking pally..
Edited by Kevyne on 3/28/2013 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Obviously cheesecake, chocolate cake isn't as enjoyable.
Reply Quote
1 Human Hunter
You have much wisdom to teach us.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

BLASPHEMY! You advocate the food of betrayal, of destruction! Chocolate cake is the true path towards greatness!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You have much wisdom to teach us.

Hence my point:
03/28/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Fistlobster

BLASPHEMY! You advocate the food of betrayal, of destruction! Chocolate cake is the true path towards greatness!

You! I challenge you to enjoy your chocolate as much as I enjoy my cheesecake.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Can't we have both? What if we can eat both of them? Then won't there be no issue and peace can once again reign over the desserts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm going to have to go with cheesecake on this one. It's just too delicious. Hell, New York style cheesecake is so good, they named a city AND a state after it!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Generally when people asks these types of questions they want the opinions and experiencesof people who play the classes in question (that's called a "discussion"). "IT'S ALL PREFERENCE DURRRR" isn't very helpful.
Edited by Hamu on 3/29/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Generally when people asks these types of questions they want the opinions and experiencesof people who play the classes in question (that's called a "discussion"). "IT'S ALL PREFERENCE DURRRR" isn't very helpful.

What does this have to do with anything? Obviously, this thread is about which cake is superior: chocolate (YES!) or cheesecake (BOO!)

You! I challenge you to enjoy your chocolate as much as I enjoy my cheesecake.

You have sealed your fate, cheesefiend!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Generally when people asks these types of questions they want the opinions and experiences of people who play the classes in question (that's called a "discussion"). "IT'S ALL PREFERENCE DURRRR" isn't very helpful

The problem is that preference is the answer. Do you like Chi Building, or HP gen? Do you like the ability to Fistweave for damage, or the versatility of many OMG buttons (but that you have to keep track of)? Do you like the way your available races for your class look? Do you like Aqua or Pink colors? People play paladins because they like paladins. They play monks because they like monks. Tautolgy.

Now, if the OP provided us more information as to what he DOES like, we can tell him which of the two classes provide that the best.

For example, a while back there was a person who was deciding upon a healer and he wanted to focus on 5-man content and he wanted the one best suited to handle all the crazy Puggers that were doomed to fail. In this case, we were able to suggest paladins on account of all of our Hand spells and the ability to turn invincible and the ability to Lay on Hands a tank that runs away and having tons of armor when the mobs are beating on you.

But a question of "which healer should I play" gives us nothing to work with, so he gets nothing in return.

Not even some delicious chocolate cream pie, which is far superior to either of the other two delicacies.

What? Voting for third parties doesn't do anything? Fine.

...I'll take the cake. But I'm totally demanding a glass of milk to go with it.
Reply Quote
35 Blood Elf Priest

Tiramisu>all
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm going to have to go with cheesecake on this one. It's just too delicious. Hell, New York style cheesecake is so good, they named a city AND a state after it!

i must second this... all hail the great dessert that had a city named after it!
Reply Quote
Chocolalte cheesecake.

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Chocolalte cheesecake.

/thread

Boom. You beat me to the punch line.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
25 either

10 Paladin

PvP Paladin

Paladin wins.

Of course by the time you level and gear your toon it may have changed. But Paladins have been solidly strong to OP for a good 3 raid tiers/pvp seasons. Doesn't look to be changing. Mistweavers are in a constant state of flux.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
03/28/2013 08:22 PMPosted by Kevyne
Which is more enjoyable?

That's totally up to you. Normally I don't give any more of a response to these threads, as I think it's silly to ask people to tell you what you're going to enjoy. Try it for yourself! But I feel like typing tonight.

As someone who has spent the majority of my time this expansion between my pally and monk, I personally think that monks have a higher skill cap all around. I think that there's also a general consensus within the community supporting this notion. But that's not necessarily a bad thing... if you enjoy more of a challenge (at least in the learning curve), maybe monk is for you.

Holy pally healing is a pretty traditional model of healing as far as WoW goes. It has some nice absorbs built into it nowadays, and they have nice cleave-healing, but the spec is still mostly reactive. They also have some great utility, so you have a lot to contribute to a raid in terms of raid cd's if that's what you like. You also see a lot of paladins tank healing, so if you're more of a single-target guy, pally would definitely be your cup of tea.

Mistweavers are pretty different in terms of playstyle and I don't think that it's for everyone. Due to the way that renewing mists and uplift work together, the spec gives you an interesting mixture of proactive and reactive healing. If you want to try out something new, I definitely suggest trying it out.

And as far as the tanking thing goes, it's the same deal. Prot pally = pretty traditional plate wearing, shield-blocking tank. You know what you're getting and it's a lot of fun. Monk = funky new flavor and incredibly engaging.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Pally imo. They are the only healer that is actually where it needs to be right now. Everyone else should be brought up/down to where they are right now. They have a tool for each and every situation and plenty of cooldowns. Their only real weakness is they lack a large raid cooldown like Healing Tide. Sounds like a fair trade for their mastery alone to me.
Reply Quote

Umm, in the end it really is all about personal preference. I like Warrior tanking but am not all that fond of Druid tanking. Person asking me the question may fall in love with Druid tanking and despise Warrior tanking. I can tell you about a class and the general play style but at the end of the day it's up to you to pick what you like.

OP if you're new to healing I would try out healing classes that interest you and see which one grows on you to be honest. They all have their strengths and fun points along with different styles. Druids, Pallys and Monks can all tank and heal but that doesn't mean a class you like to tank with you'll also like healing on.

Right now, I would say a Pally would be the easiest to start tanking on. They have good AoE control at low levels which is nice and Blizzard has pretty much ground us into a predictable pattern for tanking. But really it's up to you and all it takes is practice and liking a class to get good at something.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I loved my pali but I can't see myself enjoying him as much as I enjoy my monk. I have amazing mobility, good self heals, good survive-ability, and good damage as a healer. I primarily do PVP, however, and don't enjoy tank healing as much as group healing.

As for tanking, i've never tanked on pali or monk so i have no say.

monk: high mobility, good PVP heals, good cc, good self healing, get cc'd easily but have bubble, etc...
pali: good tank heals, invincible bubble, good self heals, mediocre mobility w/ good cc breakers, etc...

In the end I choose monk because it is more fun and exciting to me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]