Blood dk audit

90 Tauren Death Knight
I'm trying to fine tune my game a little bit and see if theres any areas I can improve in. Mitigation, threat, dps etc. I know there are plenty of better dks on here that could maybe look at my gear and the log from tot tonight on megaera attempts and give me some advice on anything I can do to improve.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5mf5c59fqj8cu3ra/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Well, your reforges can definitely use some help... You're reforging into and out of a TON of parry and expertise.

Look at your character audit and reforging: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eldrethalas/Maldaric/advanced
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Yeah your expertise in excess you're not even hit capped in the midst of it all. It's also somewhat inconsistent to what you really like. Not going for mastery in many cases. Even doing expertise stam gem in some slots. Reforging into expertise on slots without mastery at all meanwhile reforging and geming in and out of things across the board. It's almost whimsical.

It almost makes it harder to find rhyme or reason. You like mastery but maybe not avoidance? I have no idea. You spend a lot of gems in expertise while reforging out of it a bit. Doesn't quite compute. You gems for example and expertise/stam gem for a 60 parry socket bonus while spending most of your time avoiding parry in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Alright I went back and regemmed and reforged since alot of my gear was new and I didn't spend much time on it. I still had old gems in from my old set and I've gotten about 5 new pieces this week. Tried to add a little bit more avoidance and stay as close to xp/hit cap as possible. Is the avoidance good or should I add more mastery. Liking the constructive criticism keep it coming.
Edited by Maldaric on 3/29/2013 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I personally would go for as much avoidance as you can get, but that's the way I do my tank set. You don't need to make your hit/exp caps, that isn't mandatory as a tank because A. you're not dpsing and every hit doesnt need to hit and B. the amount of times you'll actually miss doesn't make up for the loss of avoidance. Like in a 10 min battle you'll probably only miss about a half a dozen times if you kept it at about 1-2% below cap.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
So shoot for a 5-6 percent on hit and xp and rest in avoidance? How does mastery look. This.is for second half of tot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Mastery>all. That's a good start. Expertise is good, but at the cost of avoidance when you need it, isn't so good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I personally would go for as much avoidance as you can get, but that's the way I do my tank set. You don't need to make your hit/exp caps, that isn't mandatory as a tank because A. you're not dpsing and every hit doesnt need to hit and B. the amount of times you'll actually miss doesn't make up for the loss of avoidance. Like in a 10 min battle you'll probably only miss about a half a dozen times if you kept it at about 1-2% below cap.

I have to refute this. All of the math done around avoidance vs control weighs highly in favor of control based stats.

With the way our healing abilities scale with stam it's best to gem stam/mastery and focus on Getting Hit/Exp capped. Missing an Outbreak is brutal, and no matter what anyone says Tank DPS is important. Being able to count on heart strike landing to maintain your run rotation and not waste GCDs is hyper important. Saying that "your not a dps" is missing the point. To be an awesome tank you need to be able to count on your management of your resources.

You really should read the Blood Tanking post on Elitistjerks.com to get an idea of where to start. There's some good discussion around stat weights there.

For reforging/gemming it's really good to learn how to manipulate askmrrobot or reforgelite or another similar stat balancing tool to get the most out of your gear that you can.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The one thing to just be careful in particular with robot is it tends to really go a stam heavy because it has it even above mastery. This can mostly sway things like trinkets if someone uses it more blindly. As for hit vs. Avoidance. I'd rate hit/expertise more as "ease of life" than mitigation. So I think it really depends on how the conversation is designed. Because really Mitigation should be compared with mitigation. The only one that can really be counted towards mitigation is hit for rune strikes more than anything. You'll never truly cap things so even going for 7.5 expertise is borderline a moot point. Hit yes but expertise is more just to cap your spell hit.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Well I think my stamina will be good enough to clear second half of throne. Just concerned with my avoidance vs my mastery. I regemmed and reforged though and would like an opinion on current setup.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hello from ET!

Not sure if your glyphs are for a specific fight, but Glyph of DRW is a pretty bad glyph. Are you having threat issues on tank swaps? You're missing out on a lot of damage, and tank dps is especially important on 10m (and you're capping accuracy so you obviously care about tank dps). I'd also avoid using the VB/IBF glyphs in most cases unless the specific fight works well with them as they're reducing the overall effectiveness of your cooldowns.

As far as reforging goes, it's generally best to reforge the highest stat to mastery, not the lowest stat. For example, if you reforge your belt from dodge to mastery instead, you'll gain mastery/hit, which you can compensate for by reforging your neck from hit to mastery instead of parry to mastery. You'll lose a bit of avoidance but you should be able to gain pretty decent amounts of mastery. Ideally, after reforging, every piece of gear should have mastery on it. Your goal with reforging is to get as much mastery as possible, (in your case) stay hit/exp capped, and keep your dodge/parry at good levels for diminishing returns. There are a lot of cases with your reforges where you're missing out on quite a lot of mastery.

Also, with your gems, this isn't an issue, but keep in mind that sometimes it's better to ignore the socket bonus and go for a fractured gem if the socket bonus isn't very good. For example, if the socket bonus is 60 dodge/parry rating and doesn't have just yellow sockets, I'll just gem for pure mastery (currently my tier gloves are the only example of this).
Edited by Kyras on 3/29/2013 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Oh a fellow eter. Getting a lot of good advise on here I am liking it a lot. I've only been 90 and playing a dk for about 2 months so still gotta fine tune my class some so keep it coming! What would the 3 main glyphs be preferred to use for 10 man raiding.
Edited by Maldaric on 3/29/2013 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I do 25m raiding, and it's mostly down to preference, but I use AMS, Outbreak, and either D&D, Pestilence, or IBF depending on the fight. Only use IBF if there's a predictable high damage attack that comes out more often than you can deal with. If it's not completely predictable it's not worth it. For instance, blade lord's overwhelming assault. Sometimes he'll use unseen strike before without warning, and if you have a 3 second IBF then it can very easily be made useless.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I'll look into them and do some research but this thread has been a great help.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
What would be a good bone shield.macro to keep it up as much as possible
Reply Quote
I macro it to death strike for most fights. You need to remember you have it macroed so you can remove the macro from your rotation for some fights, though. Like Garajal, for instance. When you're not tanking, the little trolls attacking you will eat through your bone shield very quickly, which is bad especially for a fight where pure damage mitigation is so much more important than your self-heals. Here's what I use:

#showtooltip
/use death strike
/use bone shield

Not too complicated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]