Rain of Fire in rotation?

90 Gnome Warlock
I've been looking through some logs on Lei Shen ten man and in the top 20 for dps its demo and destro locks.

I figured I would go one or the other tonight, but I have been noticing that around 5mil or the lock's damage is from RoF. Is it now efficient to cast it on a single target?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I try to keep it up while immolate dot it up due to the ember regeneration. I may be confused, considering I don't raid, but it seems beneficial to me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
If you're running destro you should be casting RoF every 8 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The damage from rain of fire gets buffed if your target has immolate cast upon it.

Reading Tool tips is still helpful, even if you've played for a long time. Re-read your tooltips.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I keep it up on every target I can because it is a "fire and forget" AoE that helps keep the embers coming. Even if it is single target, if you can afford the mana then cast RoF and keep it up.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Nope. Only if you have mana for it which you won't except for specific situations.

I've been looking through some logs on Lei Shen ten man and in the top 20 for dps its demo and destro locks.

I figured I would go one or the other tonight, but I have been noticing that around 5mil or the lock's damage is from RoF. Is it now efficient to cast it on a single target?
I used RoF in P1 on and off depending on my mana. I don't want to be mana capped and I know if I'm sitting at 80% and plan on throwing out a CB with some procs then I'll drop RoF beforehand. In P2 and P3 you have more AoE situations, so more RoF. Additionally, the AoE and SB situations in those phases give you a lot of embers, a lot of mana regen, and a lot of mana to cast RoF.

No one can really say "cast RoF on CD" or "you should be casting RoF on Lei Shen ~30 times" or something. It depends on the situation you find yourself in, where your mana is, when you got procs for CBs for more mana etc.

Also, RoF is a DPS gain IF the target stays in it for the duration. Lei Shen is moved a lot so make sure you're not dropping RoF when your tank is about to move him to another pillar.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
As I understand it, RoF is used in the standard rotation if and when you have sufficient mana, and also right before/while you're nuking with your CD's popped, because you want to regenerate and spend embers as quickly as possible. I'm also fairly certain you can have up to three RoF's on the same target, so yeah.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm also fairly certain you can have up to three RoF's on the same target, so yeah.

You can, but it won't do any more damage. Overlapping RoF is just a waste of mana.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

No. You just can't. Also make sure immolate is always up on the target to make RoF viable. On a last note, after multiple testing with my warlock mate, we found out that keeping RoF is very good in a build with alot of haste. If mastery is your main stat it might not be a DPS increase for you to keep it up especially if you are the kind of player who takes like 1 second to target the ground and finaly click to land it.

Best moment you should still use RoF on single target even if you don't consider it that viable:
1. During your opener.
2. While spaming Chaos Bolt
3. On the move without KJC
4. When high on mana under 20% and about to receive a mana regain from Shadowburn.
5. To make your trinkets that only proc on DoT (Light of the Cosmos for exemple) when they are out of ICD.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
From my experience, at about 505-509 iLvl is about where you can have an ~80% uptime on RoF and not have mana issues. It all depends on your gear setup and what fight you're doing, etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
As single target? 80% uptime seems kinda crazy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Elitistjerks says keep it up. I'll stick to what the theory crafters aim at.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
There is no point at which, even with sacrifice, incinerate > RoF. RoF has a higher ember/mana ratio, and a higher DPET. It is better in every way shape and form than incinerate. EVEN WITH THE FOUR PIECE, RoF is better. Even if you oom before you reach a safe ember pool...why does it matter? Just because you aren't hitting something ALL THE TIME doesn't mean your dps is going to go down. The only case in which incinerate might be better is w/ backdraft up where, frankly, how do you oom with backdraft up? The regen per second is literally higher than incinerates cost w/ backdraft active last I checked.

That being said, the large dps increase in theorycrafting from using it single target primarily comes from reducing the overcapping of mana during periods during which you dump chaos bolt/shadowburn, not the slightly increased embers/damage.

Adding a second target makes it the ############111111111 priority over every other ability outside of CDs. At that point and higher, the amount of embers it generates is just silly.
Edited by Gahhda on 3/29/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
dont forget there are a few aoe phases which is probably the majority of that 5 mil.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Elitistjerks says keep it up. I'll stick to what the theory crafters aim at.
Blindly doing what another player theory crafted up regardless of how it works for your own character is a terrible idea. Theorycrafting is theory. Not everyone plays the same.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
As single target? 80% uptime seems kinda crazy.

79% http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kmo6u9ba405q2x8w/details/1/?s=400&e=1076

That's with delays during him switching mounts and dead zone.

60-70% I guess could be more realistic if you have slightly worse gear and don't have huge ember jumps due to Unnering

84% purely single target without gaps http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ek2dflugh449q72i/details/15/?s=4277&e=4510
Edited by Giggitee on 3/29/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Where are you getting 79% from? You had 566 ticks over a 675 second fight. Call it one tick per minute and you're saying ~82% uptime. If I do that on my Lei Shen log and call ~1 second per tick it puts me at ~96% uptime. I know for a FACT that I didn't even almost have 96% uptime on RoF. My math may be a tad off, but I don't see where you're seeing 79%.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Buffs gained, Rain of fire

Besides, your log has aoe, both of mine do not, thus the way you calculated it wouldn't work well as a comparison.
Edited by Giggitee on 3/29/2013 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I had 50% uptime on Jin'Rohk and did almost identical DPS to you with your 85% uptime. I just don't see having the mana to keep it up that much. I use it when I feel comfortable with my mana level and that uptime is almost half of yours.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
I had 50% uptime on Jin'Rohk and did almost identical DPS to you with your 85% uptime. I just don't see having the mana to keep it up that much. I use it when I feel comfortable with my mana level and that uptime is almost half of yours.

And I raise my point again, what is so imperative about never ooming? Furthermore, if you do oom why do people feel the need to immediately waste a chaos bolt even if you're at less than a safe 3+ embers? I just don't understand the logic. If using RoF makes you oom but the net result is more embers/damage, then why would not ooming and using incinerate be better in anyway.
Edited by Gahhda on 3/29/2013 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]