funniest/worst tanking exp.

90 Human Death Knight
25 heroic northrend beasts was probably the worst and funniest tanking experience I've had.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Warrior
My worst times is that my roll button is "1" and my jab button is "2". Well, that can sometimes (though rarely) cause me to turn a cleave into our melee groups. Whoops.

lol, I have a similar story. Back in vanilla I used to keep my throw and charge buttones next to each other.. didn't take long for me to fix that problem :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Well in LFR this week, quad as dps. People failed on last boss of forgotten depths (forget name) and so I turned on BP, conversion....me a healer and 3 other dps finished it. Counts as tanking? :P
Reply Quote
72 Draenei Death Knight
I have played every single healer endgame, a few dps, and decided to level a tank so I could understand every role. My GL is an insane tank. I mean, she pulls everything in the room, and runs away to immediately pull the next group as dps kill the guys chasing her. I call her "maniac tank." I have basically learned to use every single speed boost available in game so I can keep up with her when I am healing.

We switched roles when we made new toons and she is playing a disc priest (what my main is). I am her exact same level so I figure why not run some dungeons together? I'm learning the ropes a little and taking my time to strategize my pulls in blood furnace to have complete control at what I feel is a decent pace. I don't want to be a bad tank who can't control their mobs.

So here I am being cautious, when all of the sudden she casts psychic scream. Then void tendrils. Not only that, but she then runs to the next group to smite them as I try to pick up the mobs she left in various awkward places.

I'm freaking panicking. She doesn't stop. The entire dungeon she keeps doing this, yet somehow I am able to grab aggro and run to the next group of mobs so I can either hit them first or yank them off of her. I have never ever loved a spell as much as blood boil before today.

Moral of the story: If you want to learn how to tank, stick with the dps/heals that make the dungeon miserable. You will not only master threat, but will learn every single CD available to you in one days time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
My worst times is that my roll button is "1" and my jab button is "2". Well, that can sometimes (though rarely) cause me to turn a cleave into our melee groups. Whoops.

I do that way too much on my monk, I finally moved my roll button to = .

Few weeks ago on my guardian druid, I got into a LFD and couldn't figure out why my DPS was half what it normally was. Turns out the BoA weapon I share between 3 toons, was on one of the other toons still. Had some crap mace that I won a few dungeons back and ended up having to equip that just to have something there.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
We had an off tank that was causing some trouble on raid teams, after carrying for awhile it was too much to handle in the FL...he kept bringing up gear as a major issue, to prove him wrong we had one of my Co-Gms take my place tanking...on his freshly turned 85 pally...by fresh i mean 2 hours before the raid. It was awesome to see, and needless to say he ended up leaving the guild.

Not very crazy or anything, but i always have a good laugh when people pull in LFRs and me, the other tank and the healers watch him die before continuing... the raging afterwards is the best part
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My team and I were doing Stone Guard in MSV. I was tanking. At around 25% or so during the fight, people get dumb with the Jasper Chains and both of our healers go down, I reiterate, with 25% health left.

Somehow, I alone kept seven members of our raid alive, including the other tank, until the boss had died. I pulled 53k heals per second during that encounter.

Also on Stone Guard a few weeks earlier, our healer had a brain fart, or something, and the offtank died. So, I was holding all three bosses at that point. Overloads were going off like crazy and our raid members were dropping left and right. This was before the Seal of Insight hotifx a few months ago, so AoE still procced it individually on each instance of damage.

I was the last guy alive and the boss still had 10% left. I survived all of the Overloads (pre-hotfix Seal of Insight was ridiculously broken with high Vengeance) and killed the boss. Alone. This was probably my greatest "hero" moment as a tank.

A few months ago my guild was doing Garalon for the first time, and because our dps was terrible at that time, we hit the enrage. Somehow, I had managed to live. Like, Ardent Defender or Bubble somehow saved me from an insta-kill enrage, which shouldn't happen. The boss had 3% left, but the Pheromones stacked too high and I couldn't out-heal it. This would have been our first Garalon kill if I hadn't died. Unfortunately, the WoW gods didn't allow me the glory of killing him alone.
Edited by Emberstone on 4/22/2013 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
My first ever attempt at seriously tanking before recently was in mid 5.1. I had just gotten back after a long hiatus, and I was still in the tank set I had scavenged off of Hour of Twilight heroics.

I queue, and land in Well of Eternity with a Demo Lock. Demo lock is in MoP gear, who proceeds to laugh at me due to his health being higher (his iLevel was significantly higher than mine). Because our healer decides to bail on the first boss and I'm learning the ropes to Blood DK'ing, the group wipes.

I apologize, explain to the group that I'm better geared for DPS and that I'm new to tanking, and promise to wait out for a new healer, as that was the least I could do and I still wanted to take the opportunity to learn. Mr. Warlock decides to pop Dark Apotheosis and tells me to switch to DPS. Given that I could afford a repair bill and was in a pretty good mood, I oblige.

He then proceeds to tank the entire dungeon without a healer. He never once lost threat, never went below half health. Even took Mannoroth and Varo'then without breaking half a sweat.

lol My pride was so hurt that I shelved the notion of me tanking for a few months thereafter...just now decided to pick it back up to try to master it.
Edited by Ríchter on 4/22/2013 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
He then proceeds to tank the entire dungeon without a healer. He never once lost threat, never went below half health. Even took Mannoroth and Varo'then without breaking half a sweat.

I'll bet he could've given Hogger a real tussell while he was at it.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
DI'ing tank/healer while playing the other role and dropping group used to be a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A couple of old ones. When I started raiding it was on a warlock. When Kara was still new and quite difficult my guild is fighting Prince. We had been wiping to him for most of the night however our last attempt of the night we got very lucky with infernal placement. We had him down to about 10% health left. Our paladin healer DI'd the tank at that point. Cries out I'm sorry in vent I don't know how many times. He never lived it down.

Once Kara became farm content again on Prince about halfway through the fight our top dps hunter who was quite drunk from the sound of him on vent cried out I am out arrows guys! Holy S! I am running in for melee! Watching him run out from our group into melee was a riot. The MT actually traded him arrows in the middle of that.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
One of the more interesting tanking experiences I've ever had happened in PUG a few months back. My gf and I were on late and we ran across another couple in the Nexus on LFD.

The healer was exclaiming how this was too easy and that I should offer him a challenge, so I replied that I'd start stripping armor a piece at a time and he could tell me when it felt challenging enough to him.

I ended wearing only trinkets, necklace and rings carrying a 2H axe while fighting the last boss. After that, the four of us went through a couple more dungeons that way. The questions we'd get by the one random DPS each time were fun to answer.

Admittedly I died on a few mob pulls, because the healer wasn't paying quite enough attention (drinking I think.. but so was I). But the repair bill was light since I wasn't actually wearing much that could be damaged.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Tie here for worst experience:

Tanking LFR Last Stand of the Zandalari and the DPS is chirping the whole way about how slow things are going and that the tanks don't know what they're doing. The other tank and I are /w coordinating. Jin'Rokh goes fine. Go into Horridon and we wipe because the adds aren't getting killed. The raid votes to kick both tanks.

Tanking LFR Dread Approach. Zoned in as the first group in the first room (past the 2 door guards) is underway. They go down and we're going to skip the two groups on the far side of the room. Pull the pat in the next passage and the next thing you know, both of the add groups are joining in! We wipe. I warn everyone to watch aoe, pets, tab targeting, etc. and we pull the pat. The two groups join in again and we wipe. So I figure, OK, we'll just clear those groups and move on. Pull the first group and the second group and the pat join in. After rezzing, I wish the group well with their self-designated griefer and leave the instance.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
The worst experience I've had was on my warrior tank, during in Vortex Pinnacle.

On the first baby drake with a healing circle, I was pulling him off to the side, out of the circle, and my toon got caught on the edge of a column. I didn't see it right away and one of the DPS starts screaming to get him out of the circle. While side-stepping and continuing back, he just pulls it away from me and into the group.

Lo and behold, he dies as I'm trying to move into LoS and regain aggro.

At this point, he says "If you are a newb tank, I can take over." Without waiting for a response drops into bear form and runs off. Of course he dies in the next encounter, because he doesn't realize the healer is in my guild. He wouldn't have had a clue she was on the comp next to me :)

Anyhow, after that all I get is constant quips and complaints from him while he keeps running ahead and generally being a pain in the !@#. The lsat thing we saw was him and another DPS charging into the staircase lined with elementals on both sides. We dropped a moment later.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
04/23/2013 09:05 PMPosted by Druimeister

I'll bet he could've given Hogger a real tussell while he was at it.

I dunno...the entire forest was merely a setback to the unholy might that is Hogger.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
My best and worst probably both started off the same way.

My worst was leveling my gnome warrior at around level 60. I zone into a random Hellfire Ramparts when I see the entire party dead and we're halfway to the first boss. I think to myself "Oh boy ..." when the healer starts cussing me out in paragraph long rants then rage quitting.

Me: "What just happened?"
DPS: "The last tank was a jerk and the healer was terrible."

Well after that part it went fine but there's nothing like people yelling at you before you can even do anything!

My best was on my goblin warrior zoning into normal SFK. I see the entire party dead, minus one guy at very low health who quickly drops due to the entire room after the first boss being pulled.

After a while my health starts getting dangerously low when the first mob dies. Victory Rush! Soon everything's dead and I'm at full health right about when the rest of the party ran back in. If you had asked them they thought I was a magical warrior / shaman who could walk on water.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Probably in Dragon Soul, during H Yor'sahj progression (10man). Tanking the boss, healers are powering thru the insane damage, pretty good attempt, then (and I don't know why this was the first thing re: my epic fail that I noticed) I see in my chat window - [Blàckfeather]: Casting [Cyclone] on Yor'sahj the Unsleeping!

Splat.

I don't have Cyclone on my bar during raids anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
funniest - tanking without using a major AoE spell for about 10 levels. i thought it was a DPS spell so i didn't use it in the end i wondered why i wasn't holding aggro so well and that was it.

worst- people especially DPS constantly pulling for me. makes me want to quit my tank because this happens so often. occasionaly a healer will do this as well. that or people looting mid fight. seriously??? that is like saying you have the time to loot mid fight yet you don't have the time to pull your crappy dps up yet alone wait mabe 2 seconds for me to loot and pull the next mob.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
04/25/2013 03:38 PMPosted by Celbrise
that or people looting mid fight.

I do this on accident every once in awhile - accidentally click on a corpse.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Probably too recent for me to judge as the worst tanking experience, but I just did Lei Shen on LFR for the first time, didn't watch the fight (because if DPS and healers don't have to, why should I?) and neither did the other tank. Wiped a few times while learning and people got angry, then other tank leaves (or gets kicked?) and get replaced by a big a**hole who barked orders left and right and got the atmosphere even more poisonous. We only had 5 stacks but it looked like we had 30 according to raid chat. We got it, but meh, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Of course, Lei Shen has to drop a shield so I cannot just skip this boss.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]