Noob Rogue needs help with spec/rotation/gear

90 Pandaren Shaman
Looking at your glyphs I'm confused right now. Why do you have the Glyph of Adrenaline Rush on your Assassination spec? Unless I'm crazy Adrenaline Rush is a Combat only skill, so ditch that glyph for any of the following: Glyph of Cloak of Shadows, Glyph of Deadly Momentum (for soloing or heavy add areas), Glyph of Feint, Glyph of Recuperate, or Glyph of Shiv. Also Glyph of Evasion is all right when soloing I guess, but any of the above glyphs would work just as well, if not better.

On the topic of addons, I use PowerAuras to track my buffs and cooldowns. I use ComboPointsEnergyBar to keep track of my combo points. My Rogue is not at 90 quite yet (just came back from a pre-MoP hiatus like 3 weeks ago), so not sure if it tracks Anticipation yet, but if it doesn't I'm gonna talk to the maker of the mod to see if he can add that

Beyond that I don't have any further advice than what has been said
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Just to make all this easier, I've decided to stick with assassination for now. I'm used to the rotation and it'll be easier to improve instead of starting over in a new spec. Plus I have two daggers so my gear favors it.

I looked at noxxic's assassination build for PvE and it reccommends mastery over crit.

How much mastery do I need before I start reforging haste?

Is crit really equal to HASTE for assassination?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com

but really you dont need to worry about it until you start getting more epix. for now just make sure you are at 2550 hit for LFR.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
How much mastery do I need before I start reforging haste?

Is crit really equal to HASTE for assassination?
It doesn't have a threshold per-say. As Mastery has no diminishing returns for Mut spec. However as Mastery increases, the value of haste and crit increase faster due to more/critical poison hits. The point where Haste or Crit will catch up to mastery is different based on the current gear-set you have.
Yes Haste and Crit are roughly equal.

And yeah like Deft said, focus on hit-cap and then when you get into high gear levels than start using:
shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you don't like doing heavy reading (or maybe some moderate reading) check out the rogue pvp video guides here:

http://www.elitegamingmovies.com/warcraft_videos-pvp-class-guide/rogue-pvp-guides/
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
If you don't like doing heavy reading (or maybe some moderate reading) check out the rogue pvp video guides here:

http://www.elitegamingmovies.com/warcraft_videos-pvp-class-guide/rogue-pvp-guides/

This is a PvE thread buddy.

And I sure do hope you have permission to post all of those on your own site.
Edited by Bagofsticks on 4/18/2013 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

[quote]If you don't like doing heavy reading (or maybe some moderate reading) check out the rogue pvp video guides here:

This is a PvE thread buddy.

And I sure do hope you have permission to post all of those on your own site.

They're youtube embed links with links to the original video on YouTube in addition to plugging the authors. It registers more views for them and gives them more exposure. I'm not ripping any videos and reposting them.
Edited by Dungflinger on 4/18/2013 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Wow thanks everyone. This is a lot of great info.

@Zaraofgaia - Good call on the glyphs and thanks for the addons. That'll help a lot.

@kiljagen - Thanks for replying to my post. I appreciate the help you are trying to give me, but I a bit confused about how much mastery I need. Right now my stats are:

Hit = 7.56%
expertise= 7.44%
mastery= 52.02%
haste = 14.57%
crit=14.08%

Should I try to reforge out of mastery and into haste to make my percentage of haste/crit closer to the percentage of mastery?

@Dungflinger - Thanks for the help. Bagofsticks is right, I should've asked the question in the PvP section. I'll make sure to watch the video. I'll put up a post in the PvP section of the forums sometime soon.

@bagofsticks - sorry, That was my bad. I should've thought about that before asking about PvP in here. From now on I'll make a thread in PvP section instead of asking about it here :)

BTW- It is great having everyone helping me out. I've never gotten this far with an MMO and really like the idea of being able to do the end game content. I still have a long way to go...
Edited by Venquix on 5/8/2013 1:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
@kiljagen - Thanks for replying to my post. I appreciate the help you are trying to give me, but I a bit confused about how much mastery I need. Right now my stats are:

Hit = 7.56%
expertise= 7.44%
mastery= 52.02%
haste = 14.57%
crit=14.08%

Not really sure if these stat weights are good? Ask mr. Robot says that it's ok not to cap expertise. Is 7.56% hit ok? Do I need to try to get it exactly @ 7.5%
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Its ok not to cap expertise, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it as a new rogue, because you won't be able to take advantage of the tricks that it requires to be optimal. Capping expertise will stabilize your rotation and allow you to practice the basic rotations until you can do it in your sleep. then you are ready to start trying to do weird stuff.

You can use Mrrobot or shadowcraft to help you choose reforging and enchants, but starting out I would recomend only using them to figure out which gems and enchants to buy. And for reforging I would recommend downloading reforgelite, and setting it up to cap hit, expertise and then reforge mastery>haste>crit.

That is until you get a handle on things a bit better.
Edited by Aeriwen on 5/8/2013 1:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Thanks Aeriwen! I will give reforge lite another try. I got a little confused the first time I used it.

Is this the wrong place to post macros that I have found in older stickies to have them reviewed by the community? Or should I go the the macro section and post my questions there? I am not sure if I am using outdated information...

As an new rogue I am not sure what a Sha-touched weapon is. Would someone please look at my gear and suggest what I should be working on?

I have read about a legendary weapon (fang of the father?). I have no idea how to get it or if it is still relevant. Should I be trying to get that or a Sha-touched weapon? I know I need to do more LFR's and guild runs to get better gear, but I'm not sure if there is anything else I can be doing to gear up faster (where does the sha-touched weapon come into play?)

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me improve my rogue. I am a slow learner who lacks experience in MMO-RPG's. It is good to have help when I get stuck. Thank you all for helping me understand more about how to play the rogue class. Eventually I'd like to be able to help my guild do heroic runs, but I know I'm a long way off...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/30/2013 12:17 AMPosted by Kiljagen
I find anticipation kinda pointless. Try out marked for death?
Anticipation's utility comes from your sudden inability to waste cp, and the ability to "bank" cp for when buffs proc.
It's more useful for Mut than the other two. Mutilate generates two cp and Seal Fate gives extra cp on crits making it's cp generation very plentiful but not very predictable.

TL;DR Anticipation lets you always use 5cp finishers without risking losing cp due to overflow.

Anticipation is great for burst, for sin it's kind of hard to use because of the cp starving from 55 energy mutilates, but for sub/combat it's great
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Thanks Aeriwen! I will give reforge lite another try. I got a little confused the first time I used it.

Is this the wrong place to post macros that I have found in older stickies to have them reviewed by the community? Or should I go the the macro section and post my questions there? I am not sure if I am using outdated information...

As an new rogue I am not sure what a Sha-touched weapon is. Would someone please look at my gear and suggest what I should be working on?

I have read about a legendary weapon (fang of the father?). I have no idea how to get it or if it is still relevant. Should I be trying to get that or a Sha-touched weapon? I know I need to do more LFR's and guild runs to get better gear, but I'm not sure if there is anything else I can be doing to gear up faster (where does the sha-touched weapon come into play?)

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me improve my rogue. I am a slow learner who lacks experience in MMO-RPG's. It is good to have help when I get stuck. Thank you all for helping me understand more about how to play the rogue class. Eventually I'd like to be able to help my guild do heroic runs, but I know I'm a long way off...

Fangs of the Father was the rogue only legendary during dragon soul last expansion. It is no longer relevant for progression.

Sha touched weapons dropped last tier from the terrace of endless spring. You should be doing the ledgendary quest with wrathion to which eventually rewards you with the gem you see in my dagger (the 500 agility one). That gem will only go into a sha touched weapon. That all happens to be the only sha touchec dagger. The quest with wrathion continues and will continue progressing throughout the expansion. You should try an keep up.

As far as progression goes. Keep running all the LFR available to you each week until you can get no useful drops from one of the sections. And do normal modes as you can manage or if you can find a regular group to run them with.

Do the Isle of thunder dailies and the new Throne of thunder raid to unlock reputation vendors and spend your valor points on items that are an upgrade.
Edited by Aeriwen on 5/10/2013 8:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
@Kheria
Thanks for dropping by. It's great to see so many people in here. It really helps me when I see multiple opinions on how to get the most out of the rogue class.

@ Aeriwen
Thanks for all the great information!

You should be doing the ledgendary quest with wrathion to which eventually rewards you with the gem you see in my dagger (the 500 agility one). That gem will only go into a sha touched weapon. That all happens to be the only sha touchec dagger. The quest with wrathion continues and will continue progressing throughout the expansion. You should try an keep up.

It's a relief to know that I've been doing the right things to continue my progression. I've been working on the thunder isle dailies to unlock the rep gear for a while now.

However, I just recently started running LFR's to get the sigils and grab some gear too. I knew I needed to continue the wrathion quest line, but I didn't know about the gem.
Edited by Venquix on 5/11/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]