New paladin question

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Greetings. After more than a decade I shook off the bad EQ habit and good riddance to SOE fail.

So now I'm trying to get my brain around WoW. Believe me, I tried more than once but it didn't stick until now. As you can see by my avatar I play a BE paladin. i wanted a good solo class. I have to say, BEs are the oddest "evil" race I've ever seen. They look like EQ high elves and the paladin class is supposed to be a good class. Odd.

Anyway...

I've gotten to level 32 as a protection paladin doing the whole solo a bunch of quests in one region then get sent on to somewhere else. Ok, fine. Kinda repetitive but i can deal with that. So far, I've yet to see any LFG efforts or zones where people gather and LFG the way we played in EQ. So is my path to 90 going to be solo, or are there any hangout zones where you look for a pickup group?

Also, what would be a good time to start looking for a guild? I've been spammed with offers for guilds at the low end, almost to the point of harrassment, but I noticed starting in the high 20s it tapered off to almost nothing. Eventually i want to find a home.

Also, what are my key stats to boost and which should I not worry about? And what's a good custom UI? And is Curse permitted or is it verboten like MQ?

Thanks for helping out with the newb questions.
Edited by Taranth on 3/31/2013 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The Horde are not evil.

There's a LFG interface to do instances.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mind telling me WHERE that interface is? Like i said, I'm new to this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The Horde are not evil.

Truth.

You can find a guild at any level. To pick one up now is good if they're a high level guild, as you'll get leveling perks. There are many social guilds that exist just for this purpose. When you get to a high level, you can always just find a pvp or pve guild you'd like to be in, apply, and get in to focus on what you want to experience in the game.

Your key stats for prot are basically strength and stamina. Ignore intellect unless you're holy.

And if by Curse you mean the addon website/manager, yeah, you can use it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LFG will be on your micro menu. It's the button that looks all dark green. In there, you'll be able to queue for dungeons and eventually raids/scenarios once you unlock them.

The Red Circle Horde symbol on your Micro Menu is the PvP queue, and will allow you to queue for pvp battles in whatever battlegrounds you have unlocked.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had assumed from looking at the races that Hoard were the evil race. Ok then.

I'm definitely going to want to be a part of a raiding guild. Preferably a west coast one. The EQ server I was on had nothing but east coast guilds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Push "i" on your keyboard and que into dungeons as a tank
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, it all depends on your definition of evil. Maybe in the beginning of the game the Horde were move unsavory, but I would say as things go now the Horde and Alliance just present two different sets of priorities.

Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind, has been shown several times to be cruel, heartless, and just as war-mongering (if not more) than Thrall ever was. Granted, you obviously haven't been around since then and your only experience as a warchief will be Garrosh Buttscream, so I'm sorry about that.

The big thing is that all Horde races have their own backstories and ends to pursue. For example, the Undead really don't care that much for the Horde(since always) and the Horde really don't care much for the Undead after the Wrathgate incident - it's a relationship of convenience.

The Blood Elves only joined with the Horde because the Alliance would probably frown on their hunger and addiction to magic, as well as the fact that they were probably a bit impulsive after being dumped by their leader, Kael'thas.

Vol'jin, the Troll leader, openly hates the direction that Garrosh is leading the Horde due to its war-mongering and aggressive tendencies. Although I do not have first hand experience with the Taurens' lore, I would assume due to their peaceful nature that they are not big fans of Garrosh either and reminisce about Thrall's wise guidance.

So, you see, there is a big story here with many interweaving plotlines. Good and Evil are very...subjective.

Hope I've helped, and good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good stuff, pallies, thanks.

Something else I'm curious about. I've gone through multiple revisions of all armor pieces, except the helm. Why don't they give us the chance to quest for a helm? I must be on my 5th or 6th bp but still haven't seen a helm.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They will pop up. Helms are notorious for not appearing until the mid 30's or early 40's I believe. Don't worry though, you're gearing just fine. Just stay away from gear with Intellect or Agility on it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Helms are one of the last slots given as quest rewards and they don't start really showing up from quests or as drops in instances until the 30's.

Trinkets and helms are things you almost have to know where they are in order to get them, because they tend to be given as rewards at the end of fairly long zone-wide quest chains.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/31/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Taranth
So now I'm trying to get my brain around WoW. Believe me, I tried more than once but it didn't stick until now. As you can see by my avatar I play a BE paladin. i wanted a good solo class. I have to say, BEs are the oddest "evil" race I've ever seen. They look like EQ high elves and the paladin class is supposed to be a good class. Odd.

If you pay too much attention to the lore you're going to hurt yourself. Blizzard likes to play fast and loose with it. Paladins were originally an Alliance faction only class, if you didn't already know, and blood elves were added later because Blizzard was too lazy to balance faction specific classes.

The band-aid lore reason on why blood elves can be paladins is that the "stole" the light or something to that effect, and from a lore perspective they're blood knights instead of paladins. Since blood elves are all about being addicted to mana and magic in general, stealing/feeding off holy magic is the line of reasoning I suppose.

Additionally, high elves are in World of Warcraft, but they're fairly uncommon NPCs, and they tend to hang out with Alliance NPCs. They have the same model as blood elves, but they're just more pale.

If you're interested in the lore, you should check out the Warcraft books, they're pretty good. I've read the War of the Ancients trilogy, od BLood and Honor, Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans, and The Last Guardian, and they were all enjoyable reads. I can't speak for any of the more recent books as I haven't read them.

If you can find the "Warcraft Archive" it's a compilation of 4 books, and it's a pretty good deal.

I've gotten to level 32 as a protection paladin doing the whole solo a bunch of quests in one region then get sent on to somewhere else. Ok, fine. Kinda repetitive but i can deal with that. So far, I've yet to see any LFG efforts or zones where people gather and LFG the way we played in EQ. So is my path to 90 going to be solo, or are there any hangout zones where you look for a pickup group?

Like others said, there is a LFG tool that slaps you with people into dungeons. By default you can hit the I key to open your PVE LFG tools. The H key open PVP related LFG tools. As a heads up, playing with random people in LFG usually means silently plowing through a dungeon (since they're all easy as sin), and everyone immediately leaving once a dungeon is complete. More often than not a single word is not spoken.

Also, what would be a good time to start looking for a guild? I've been spammed with offers for guilds at the low end, almost to the point of harrassment, but I noticed starting in the high 20s it tapered off to almost nothing. Eventually i want to find a home.

The sooner the better. Guilds offer different bonuses depending on what level the guild is. Once they're capped out at level 25 they'll offer you bonus experience, reputation gains, honor points (pvp currency), justice points (pve currency), faster mount speeds, and other goodies. Unless you're on a very low population server, you should be getting spammed non-stop by level 25 guilds.

The 25 guilds that you get spammed by aren't tight-knit groups or anything, but you may find some buddies or something. Those guilds tend to be just money making ventures for the guild master (guild bank generates money when you loot money, and the guild master will restrict bank access to just himself), so don't expect any leadership or group events in such a guild.

Also, what are my key stats to boost and which should I not worry about? And what's a good custom UI? And is Curse permitted or is it verboten like MQ?

For holy, you'll primarily want intellect and spirit.

For protection, you'll primarily want strength, stamina, and defensive stats (parry, dodge, etc).

For ret, you'll primarily want strength, and the "cap stats." (hit and expertise, which increase your chances of actually landing attacks).

Those are oversimplified, so if you find yourself wanting the in-depth information, a good starting point is the Elitist Jerks forums: http://elitistjerks.com/forums.php

You don't need a custom UI unless you want something that looks pretty. The default UI is pretty robust now. As for some addon recommendations:

OmniCC: Puts a number indicating the remaining time until the ability is ready on your ability icons when they're on cooldown. Makes it easier to see the cooldown at a glance.

Grid: HIGHLY customizable party/raid health/status frames. It can be a pain to setup if you're going into it blind, so that's something to worry about later on.

Recount: Just a damage meter/healing meter. Nice to have. You can keep it hidden and open it up when you want to see something if you don't want the bars sitting on your screen perpetually.

There are tons of other great addons, but they pertain more to specific/high level play.
Edited by Turaven on 3/31/2013 11:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

If you pay too much attention to the lore you're going to hurt yourself. Blizzard likes to play fast and loose with it. Paladins were originally an Alliance faction only class, if you didn't already know, and blood elves were added later because Blizzard was too lazy to balance faction specific classes.

Ah trust me, any Blizzard laziness could never be surpassed by SOE laziness.

The sooner the better. Guilds offer different bonuses depending on what level the guild is. Once they're capped out at level 25 they'll offer you bonus experience, reputation gains, honor points (pvp currency), justice points (pve currency), faster mount speeds, and other goodies. Unless you're on a very low population server, you should be getting spammed non-stop by level 25 guilds.

The 25 guilds that you get spammed by aren't tight-knit groups or anything, but you may find some buddies or something. Those guilds tend to be just money making ventures for the guild master (guild bank generates money when you loot money, and the guild master will restrict bank access to just himself), so don't expect any leadership or group events in such a guild.

Glad I never bothered.

You don't need a custom UI unless you want something that looks pretty. The default UI is pretty robust now. As for some addon recommendations:

OmniCC: Puts a number indicating the remaining time until the ability is ready on your ability icons when they're on cooldown. Makes it easier to see the cooldown at a glance.

Grid: HIGHLY customizable party/raid health/status frames. It can be a pain to setup if you're going into it blind, so that's something to worry about later on.

Recount: Just a damage meter/healing meter. Nice to have. You can keep it hidden and open it up when you want to see something if you don't want the bars sitting on your screen perpetually.

There are tons of other great addons, but they pertain more to specific/high level play.

Thanks man.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/31/2013 10:52 AMPosted by Cayse
The Horde are not evil.

"There is no good, no evil...No Light.

There is only POWAH!"

...Obligatory... >_<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy hell, I love this LFG tool. Two PUGs later and I'm getting pimped out nice. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Glad to see your enjoying it, I came from eq myself( I still miss my beastlord)

Now that you are level 30 you can duel spec by going to your trainer, that way you can go ret or holy in your off time if you so desire, I would recommend ret, as it would get more use as an off spec if you plan to stick with tanking in a raiding environment

Once you get to level 80 I would start looking at the guides for the respective specs ou want to play in the pally forum

They are very well done and will point you in the right direction, as at that point the game changes very quickly

Since you are coming from eq I also would recommend you keybind you abilities and learn how to make macros if you haven't already, as performance in either pve or PVP will be seriously effected by these

I know I didn't keybind coming from eq so I thought I would mention it
Edited by Iliriel on 3/31/2013 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What abilities should I keybind? As it is I have everything on hotkeys for combat. It's often just a matter of waiting for them to refresh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I honestly play ret exclusively but almost every one of them, for optimal perfomance( at least for me) you move using wasd use the mouse to turn this allows you to keybind 4 commonly used abilities such as crusader strike and judgment

It also allows for easy reach to x f q e r

You can also use the mouse wheel up down and in as seperate binds, as well as additional mouse buttons if you have any

To begin I would make sure to keybind your threat generating abilities, as well as your defensive cooldowns, save the odd things such as blessing of protection and divine shield for later when you are more comfortable( note: the use of either of these on yourself will wipe your threat and give your healer a heart attack, better yet take divine shield off your bars until you are in content that necessitates it, and you are given the proper macro to use it correctly)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I honestly play ret exclusively but almost every one of them, for optimal perfomance( at least for me) you move using wasd use the mouse to turn this allows you to keybind 4 commonly used abilities such as crusader strike and judgment

It also allows for easy reach to x f q e r

You can also use the mouse wheel up down and in as seperate binds, as well as additional mouse buttons if you have any

To begin I would make sure to keybind your threat generating abilities, as well as your defensive cooldowns, save the odd things such as blessing of protection and divine shield for later when you are more comfortable( note: the use of either of these on yourself will wipe your threat and give your healer a heart attack, better yet take divine shield off your bars until you are in content that necessitates it, and you are given the proper macro to use it correctly)

I'm not sure I follow. All of my abilities are on hot buttons. I can either hit 1-0 or click when needed. What more do I need?

One thing I've noticed about the PUGs, they don't wait. In my EQ days we let the tank grab agro before jumping in. Now I'm constantly having to jump in and grab it back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What I'm gathering is you are using your mouse to click your hot keyed abilities, what I'm saying is you would rebind the hot keys that are hard to reach to something more comfortable

What this does is allow you to use the abilities that you need to use without diverting attention away from the fights, as they are a lot more difficult mechanically than anything eq had to offer( at least from the time I left which was just after the drakan race came out or whatever it was)

If you are just coming from eq I imagine you primarily use your mouse for ability usage and the keyboard to turn, you are going to want to end these practices ASAP, especially if you plan to PVP, if you stick to pve you can play thus for a time, but raiding will be difficult for you, and people will be able to clearly see if you are keyboard turning as the speed difference between mouse turning and keyboard turning is so great

Mouse turning is done by holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse in the direction you wish to turn

As for the pulling thing, that's because tank threat is so high that dps can't really keep it off of you, and also partly because the instances are so easy at that level that they can be duo'd by 2 dps, in some cases soloed, I actually soloed from 60-66 prot soloing bc dungeons (those are dungeons that are unlocked at 59+ bc merely indicating the expansion in which they were released)
Edited by Iliriel on 4/1/2013 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]