New paladin question

90 Human Paladin
Well, it all depends on your definition of evil. Maybe in the beginning of the game the Horde were move unsavory, but I would say as things go now the Horde and Alliance just present two different sets of priorities.

Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind, has been shown several times to be cruel, heartless, and just as war-mongering (if not more) than Thrall ever was. Granted, you obviously haven't been around since then and your only experience as a warchief will be Garrosh Buttscream, so I'm sorry about that.

The big thing is that all Horde races have their own backstories and ends to pursue. For example, the Undead really don't care that much for the Horde(since always) and the Horde really don't care much for the Undead after the Wrathgate incident - it's a relationship of convenience.

The Blood Elves only joined with the Horde because the Alliance would probably frown on their hunger and addiction to magic, as well as the fact that they were probably a bit impulsive after being dumped by their leader, Kael'thas.

Vol'jin, the Troll leader, openly hates the direction that Garrosh is leading the Horde due to its war-mongering and aggressive tendencies. Although I do not have first hand experience with the Taurens' lore, I would assume due to their peaceful nature that they are not big fans of Garrosh either and reminisce about Thrall's wise guidance.

So, you see, there is a big story here with many interweaving plotlines. Good and Evil are very...subjective.

Hope I've helped, and good luck!

I have correction on this.... the Blood Elves joined the Horde becuase of Kael'thas Sunstrider, when the newly named Blood Elves (named in memory of all the High Elves slain in the Scourge's march on the Sunwell), he lend aid to Lordaeron, and experienced a particular Marshal who was a racist. Against elves specifically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o15QPr_SNs Here.. watch this for a better understanding. (From warcraft 3 ) Best line "Am I to assault the undead with nothing but sticks and harsh language?!" ) The Blood Elves were also accosted by the Alliance for letting Vashj help them with their mission.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/01/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Taranth
click when needed.

No, bad Paladin! BAD!

*Smacks Taranth with a rolled up newspaper*
Edited by Liquidrock on 4/2/2013 5:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
04/02/2013 05:52 AMPosted by Liquidrock
click when needed.

No, bad Paladin! BAD!

*Smacks Taranth with a rolled up newspaper*

You got a better idea? I'm still adjusting to being a WoW paladin. In EQ they basically did two things with their spells: stunned mobs and healed. A WoW paladin is more like an EQ shadowknight in that I have all these nasty offensive spells. I do far more damage with spells than with my blade.

Man I miss my EQ SK. Those lifetap buffs were the $#!*. I could life tap so much I didn't need healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What we are saying is you really should not be clicking your abilities, you should be remapping the hot keys to buttons that you can press easily
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh. Well the majority are on the 1-0 hotkey anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've been using a combination of pressing of pressing number keys and clicking everything else since classic. Since I don't PVP, it has not hurt my ability to tank or dps.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Just dinged 39. Dungeon Dire Maul is now open to me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
That's what I did, but wow at that time lent itself better to that type of play than it does now
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey pallies, a question. Does AC rule over all stats? It was like that in EQ, where AC > all except maybe avoidance.

The reason I ask is I scored some great gauntlets but they are 100AC lower than the past gaunts. But the other stats are insane.

Question is kinda moot now, since I got another major upgrade. But I'd be curious to know.

Also, is there a good paladin 101 guide out there? I'm not used to being a tank and my PUGs are getting !@#$%y with me.
Edited by Taranth on 4/6/2013 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
*bump*
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I hot key bind all my abilites. In the interface you can easily change how many action bars are present (you can add two more ABOVE the standard action bar/micro menu) and two more on the side. Basically you always have 6 action bars, however they are all stacked under you're main one. You can access them with the little arrows beside the last hot bar key, or by using your mouse scroll wheel+shift. When you display all the action bars you can you're left with two action bars in the normal action bar area (basically a second action bar undert the main one, again accessible by scroll+shift or clicking the arrow keys on the interface).

Binding keys you just click escape, then click keybindings. Finding them is difficult since there's a crap ton of things you can bind, but they're pretty self-explanatory. Action bar 1/2/3/4 and such are the main ones.

I basically bind by using 1,2,3,4 shift+1/2/3/4, ctrl+1/2/3/4, and alt+1/2. I also have two side mouse buttons, meaning side button 1/2 are bound, and shift+sidemousebtn, ctrl+sidemousebtn, and alt+sidemousebtn. I also have some others like shift+q/w/e/a/s/z/x/c/v

Essentially all my binds are within my left hands range and can be hit with incredibly small effort, and quickly. 31 total bound. When you get higher you may find it troublesome to navigate by clicking with the mouse to activate all your abilities, and especially in PvP it will be deadly to do so. Imagine fighting against other players you have keybinding and can use their abilities twice as quick as you can. :/

PvE you can get away with it, I guess. Raids would probably be difficult though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind, has been shown several times to be cruel, heartless, and just as war-mongering (if not more) than Thrall ever was
but thrall is not the warchief, garrosh is, the guy thrall left in charge while he went on his save the planet/knock up agra routine. and Garrosh's take on being a leader can be compared to Kim Jong Il/Un, "screw the schools screw the villages I wanna make war!"
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hey pallies, a question. Does AC rule over all stats? It was like that in EQ, where AC > all except maybe avoidance.

The reason I ask is I scored some great gauntlets but they are 100AC lower than the past gaunts. But the other stats are insane.

Question is kinda moot now, since I got another major upgrade. But I'd be curious to know.

Also, is there a good paladin 101 guide out there? I'm not used to being a tank and my PUGs are getting !@#$%y with me.

By AC, I take it you mean Armor Class. Armor is very useful for protection paladins, but you should use what has the best stats for your level. Keep stacking strength (gives parry), stamina (gives health), and hit/expertise/haste/dodge/parry. At level cap, you should follow the guides in the stickies as far as abilities to stack, but pretty much anything is good for leveling and tanking low-level dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
*sniff* You are taking me back, I began my MMO gaming with EQ at the tender age of 14 lol... I stopped playing towards the end of the PoP expansion.

Anywho, as stated by Velmorna, when you're leveling up generally you will want to focus on stamina and strength. As you level though, gear isn't as important as it used to, they streamlined the leveling process so you can get through it quickly. Basically what I'm saying is don't stress over gearing too too much during your leveling experience.

My suggestion, check out the stickied posts on whichever specialization you think you will want pursue at max level. It will give you good heads up as to what will be in store for you rotation, strategy and gear wise. Practice with the abilities available to you and then build on them once you learn new ones by reading the stickies.

And yea, paladins are way different here than on EQ. Holy specialization closely resembles the clerics of EQ, Retribution is pretty much a shadowknight with holy/light spells rather than shadow and disease. Protection is just your standard sword and board tank that can heal themselves (I don't remember if we had a tank class like that in EQ)
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Plus, EQ pallies had all kinds of spells for undead and there's none of that here.

In recent days, I've had these icons popping up on my screen in mid-fight. What are they?

http://i47.tinypic.com/30bhifp.jpg

Also, I'm having a rough time with PUGs now. They are so impatient and I'm still new. People start yelling at me to do something, I have no idea what, I start typing that i"m new and not sure what they want but they freaking boot me. That's pretty damn crappy. Looks like I may have to solo all the way up.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
In recent days, I've had these icons popping up on my screen in mid-fight. What are they?
Grand Crusader
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85043/grand-crusader
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
A few more questions:

1) What is the best taunt method for grabbing agro? As a prot pally, it looks like Reckoning or Consecration.

2) Someone please look at my stats and tell me if I've optimized my setup. My stamina seems ridiculously high.

3) I see a lot more 2H weps, but Avenger's Shield seems too valuable to give up. Is there a time to give up AS and bust out the 2H wep?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
A few more questions:

1) What is the best taunt method for grabbing agro? As a prot pally, it looks like Reckoning or Consecration.

2) Someone please look at my stats and tell me if I've optimized my setup. My stamina seems ridiculously high.

3) I see a lot more 2H weps, but Avenger's Shield seems too valuable to give up. Is there a time to give up AS and bust out the 2H wep?

My pally alts are sort of low lvl, but in WoW specs are generally made to operate with certain weapon combos. So for a prot pally your always going to use a 1 hander and shield. Retribution pallys use 2 handers. A holy pally uses a 1 hander and shield as well, but with healing stats. As a prot pally, I would not sweat high stamina, at lower levels before you have all your tools, it gives you and your healers in groups some breathing room if things go wrong or you take a big hit.

Also, you don't really "give up" any of your skills in WoW. As prot the game is going to give you prot skills, and some skills shared with all pally specs. Your spec is designed to use those skills, and it is designed to use a sword and board. You may run into spells that you do not use often and they get relegated to a side bar, but there are tons of situational uses for those "extra" skills throughout the game.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (my pally is ret) but Avenger's Shield is also a good method to grab aggro, it hits 3 targets for good damage, and there is a toggle skill that gives all of your abilities extra threat, that should always be on for a prot pally, I'm sorry but I don't remember its name.

I saw your other post about people in PUG's being nasty, unfortunately that happens quite often these days. You have to develop a thick skin and just ignore them. I'm not sure if there are many tanking guides for old content, but once you hit 85+ you should be able to find some guides for the dungeons that you can use. One way to minimize that is by joining a guild and running groups with them. In WoW I don't think it's a big deal to change guilds a few times while leveling, the perks you gain from being in a lvl 25 guild outweigh the disadvantages, and those guilds will be full of people leveling just like you.
Edited by Rumbak on 4/11/2013 9:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Reminds me of when I went from Dark Age of Camelot to Warcraft. I was lost due to major differences. What great memories this thread brings me.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Another question: Do we get an AE heal? That was part of the EQ paladin's stock in trade. Such a spell would be nice.

I do like how WoW gives you a spell and it keeps growing with you, unlike idiotic EQ where you have to buy a new version every 5 levels because of their s****y design.

And here's an embarrassing question: How do I activate my glyphs? I bought two in the auction house, right clicked them, and now I can't find them.
Edited by Taranth on 4/13/2013 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]