PvP gemming.

90 Human Hunter
Starting to collect my PvP gear and had questions on gemming.

Am I just stacking PvP power gems? Or trying to match the socket bonus with PvP power and resilience gems?

Oh, and Enchants too if we can discuss those.
Edited by Cornelia on 3/30/2013 7:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
You want to be matching the socket bonuses, they give you too many stats to ignore.

Red Sockets - Lucent Vermillion Onyx (80 Agility and 160 Resilience)

Yellow Sockets - Vivid Wild Jade (160 Power and 160 Resilience)

Blue Sockets - Storm River's Heart (320 Power)

Meta - For your meta, you want either an Agile Primal Diamond (216 Agility and 3% increased crit effect) or an Enigmatic Primal Diamond (432 Crit and reduce snare/root duration by 10%)

Prismatic - Storm River's Heart (320 Power)

You should not have to gem for hit or expertise. Also, PvP Power will be more beneficial come 5.3 when everyone is going to have 65% resilience.

Enchants:

Chest: Super Resilience or Glorious Stats

Cloak: Superior Critical Strike or Accuracy (parachute cloak if you're an engineer)

Boots: Blurred Speed or Greater Precision

Gloves: Superior Expertise or Superior Mastery. (Incendiary Fireworks Launcher if you're an engineer)

Bracers: Greater Agility

Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle

Shoulders: Secret Tiger Claw Inscription or Greater Tiger Claw Inscription

Ranged: Living Steel Weapon Chain
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
You want to be matching the socket bonuses, they give you too many stats to ignore.

Red Sockets - Lucent Vermillion Onyx (80 Agility and 160 Resilience)

Yellow Sockets - Vivid Wild Jade (160 Power and 160 Resilience)

Blue Sockets - Storm River's Heart (320 Power)

Meta - For your meta, you want either an Agile Primal Diamond (216 Agility and 3% increased crit effect) or an Enigmatic Primal Diamond (432 Crit and reduce snare/root duration by 10%)

Prismatic - Storm River's Heart (320 Power)

You should not have to gem for hit or expertise. Also, PvP Power will be more beneficial come 5.3 when everyone is going to have 65% resilience.

Enchants:

Chest: Super Resilience or Glorious Stats

Cloak: Superior Critical Strike or Accuracy (parachute cloak if you're an engineer)

Boots: Blurred Speed or Greater Precision

Gloves: Superior Expertise or Superior Mastery. (Incendiary Fireworks Launcher if you're an engineer)

Bracers: Greater Agility

Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle

Shoulders: Secret Tiger Claw Inscription or Greater Tiger Claw Inscription

Ranged: Living Steel Weapon Chain

This guy is just straight WRONG. You want to gem res in yellow. In blues you go 160 pvp power and 160 res. You want survivability. Your damage is already insane with your 2 piece set bonus. After the patch it will all change though. To say gem pvp power is just so wrong. Look at any top tier hunter and then reflect on what this guy is saying. Soo bad. Also reflect on the guys achievements, 1750 and Challenger. Probably wonders why he keeps getting focus and killed.
Edited by Tissuesx on 3/30/2013 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
My own personal setup

Red: 80 Agi/160 PvP Power
Yellow: 160 Crit/160 PvP Power
Blue: 320 PvP Power

But, I only random BG. I don't arena or run rated, so resilience means jack and !@#$ to me. Not gonna help when I'm fighting 7 people at once, so I just go for PvP Power and stack agility/crit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
can't dps if you're dead.. gem for resil.
Reply Quote
can't dps if you're dead.. gem for resil.

I see a lot of people say this, but using my Mark of the Hardened Grunt, I gain a total of + ~6% damage reduction for 10,000 resil.

Dropping a good 20% damage in return for a 2% damage reduction just doesnt seem worth it.
Edited by Vaelkar on 3/31/2013 5:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
57 Troll Hunter
If i recall correctly resil increases ehp (effective hit pts) by ~1.5% per 1% of resil.

So at 66% resil your ehp is almost double the hp total listed on your char screen.

Also pvpp isnt straight up "resil penetration" its just another term in the dmg calculation formula ( the exact equation i do not recall). So 20% pvpp =/= your target's resil is 20% less.

I find gemming resil to be more than worth it in pvp. The extra, passive mitigation is too good to pass up in any pvp setting, imo. I know having those extra few secs of life have allowed me to save the day several times on my rdruid in rbgs/arena. And it has also allowed my poor ret pally to stay alive long enough in arenas for my partners to get a kill in before i get focused down (train the ret is still the go to move in arenas sadly).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Resil

Either nothing but resil, or match socket bonuses.

Pvp power is awful compared to resil. Most players will have about 65% resil, so if you were to stack pvp power and get 10% more pvp power from gems alone, your damage doesn't actually go up by 10%.
Edited by Velerean on 3/31/2013 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Well.. this is interesting. I've just matching the socket bonus on my items with a mix of PvP power and Resilience. I'm sure that there is a better way to gem then what I have already done. I should mention that I probably won't be bothering with Arena. Just been doing randoms lately to gear up. If I do ever get into RBGs, I will definitely dig deeper into what I should be doing.

Although when I look back and read what I just typed, it sounds like I'm too lazy to re-gem my gear.

I am at 62.99% resilience right now though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
FWIW, the conventional forum wisdom I have encountered has shifted from the beginning of MoP. Last fall, most hunters gemmed power IIRC - since then, there seem to be more hunters gemming resilience.

I don't know how or if things will change when we go to baseline 65% resilience for everyone.

If gemming for max resilience, use +320 RES (yellow) in yellow sockets, +80 AGI +160 RES (orange) in red sockets, and +160 power +160 RES (green) in blue sockets.

If gemming for max power, use +160 power +160 RES (green) in yellow sockets, +80 AGI +160 power (purple) in red sockets, and +320 power (blue) in blue sockets.

The above will provide the most of the desired stat from gems while preserving all socket bonuses.
Reply Quote
Last season I tried to balance Res vs PvP Power it seemed to work out fine. This season as I upgrade my Malv gear to Tyrannical I am leaning towards more Res. It will come down to personal preference most of the time. For what it is worth I am running with 1% lesser Res than my Full Res Gemmed Guardian Druid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This guy is just straight WRONG. You want to gem res in yellow. In blues you go 160 pvp power and 160 res. You want survivability. Your damage is already insane with your 2 piece set bonus. After the patch it will all change though. To say gem pvp power is just so wrong. Look at any top tier hunter and then reflect on what this guy is saying. Soo bad. Also reflect on the guys achievements, 1750 and Challenger. Probably wonders why he keeps getting focus and killed.

I have a new love for you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
It also depends on what sort of PvP you are doing. For instance, if you do arena with a good healer, then no need to stack resil, just stack PvP Power and Ag for that extra DPS grunt.

I prefer to lean towards a healthy balance of Ag - PvP Power & Mast. All for DPS increases as most of my PvP is in the arena with a healer.

But if you are doing random bg's, then I would agree that a good amount of resil will be the way to go, as you cannot rely on random healers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I prefer stacking resil over power because hunters are pretty strong even without stacking power, if you can't survive a few attacks when you're being perma cc'd and give your partner that window to where they can help you then you're more of a liability then an asset.
Yellow slots - Pure Resil
Any other like red and blue I'll do hybrids that involve resil, Arenas are strategy and teamwork not faceroll like BGs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]