HELP! RPing a shadow/holy priest

I've been reading a lot of things that say you can't be both and what not.... but what if yer char suffered from dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder)? One personality being a follower of the light and the other shadow. Some people with DID have no idea the other personality exists and within each personality diff memories are stored. So the holy side knows how to perform holy spells and the other, shadow.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that the only people who should have shadow priests are forsaken (who have no holy) and trolls (through dark Loa). Your method of justifying both forms will be easier than the shadow justifications. Figure that out and you'll see your opportunities for justifying both within it. For instance my gnome is a medical engineer who can cause pain with her devices as easily as she can heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Nothing wrong with doing it that way, though if you are using MRP, you might want to have a fast way to differentiate between the two. Maybe different set of clothing as well.

I like to do two personalities on my two specs as well, though mine is more like Jekyl and Hyde, where it is a chemical thing. It can be a lot of fun to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Does the light/priestly powers manifest on the whim of a being or are the aforementioned limitations of it all psychological?
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Warrior
It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that the only people who should have shadow priests are forsaken (who have no holy) and trolls (through dark Loa). Your method of justifying both forms will be easier than the shadow justifications. Figure that out and you'll see your opportunities for justifying both within it. For instance my gnome is a medical engineer who can cause pain with her devices as easily as she can heal.

I beg to differ.

The Shadow and the light are opposites. you can 'fall' to the shadow just as easilly as you can pledge your faith in the light. it's like mages and warlocks, though the only race i can't see having the ablity of shadow preistism would be the draenei, but after seeing the corrupted naaru in the sunwell i see that is possible too.
Reply Quote
I haven't read these sources that say we should only be one school or the other, and they might be in the right, but the way I've personally written it to my story is with Drelyn's own philosophy of Light and shadow.

I'll try not to load you with details or be too abstract, but the idea is that shadows have a relationship to the Light (being only an absence of light, rather than something inherently evil), and that sometimes the darker school of magic can be used for good.

However, I try to keep this from justifying my character being too powerful by limiting all the spells he has access to, and having him shift into the shadow priest specialty for a chapter of his character development... rather than having him sit comfortable between both schools.

I also don't think this would be a very common thing; most priests would be trained in one school or the other based on their culture. For my character specifically, he had experience earlier in life with magic in the broader sense, and dark magic specifically, which allowed him to grasp shadow magic without it being a mainstream practice.

That being said, I'm not saying Drelyn's take on Light and shadow is anything but subjective, and I'm also not saying that the two should exist without conflict... I'm planning to bring plenty of that into the story ahead.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid

umm actually trolls and forsaken can have both. A forsaken holy priest can happen but it takes those who have unshakable faith in the light or just have the iron will to bind it to his or her will. The Trolls don't really use holy light magic but the healing magic offered by the Loa is pretty much the same damn thing down to the T
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
umm actually trolls and forsaken can have both. A forsaken holy priest can happen but it takes those who have unshakable faith in the light or just have the iron will to bind it to his or her will. The Trolls don't really use holy light magic but the healing magic offered by the Loa is pretty much the same damn thing down to the T

I didn't deny Trolls their holy spec. Just stated as being able to Shadow.

Forsaken are so rarely capable of holy that there is only one in game and lore and he doesn't even wield it. He just chills in Light's Hope Chapel. This severe rarity makes it an almost impossible thing to roleplay as. So while yes, Blues have said Forsaken can wield the Light in very extreme and rare cases, the reality is that none do thus far. Which is their way of saying okay you can RP it but yeah that's not likely to happen so be wary. You will, however, find that Blizz has also opened it up to allow for more flexibility in that Forsaken can still use their holy spells for their comrades who would be harmed by their Shadow spells when healing, but it's still not considered holy.

I beg to differ.

The Shadow and the light are opposites. you can 'fall' to the shadow just as easilly as you can pledge your faith in the light. it's like mages and warlocks, though the only race i can't see having the ablity of shadow preistism would be the draenei, but after seeing the corrupted naaru in the sunwell i see that is possible too.

They aren't opposites.

The Shadow tree exists because of the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow & Dark Loa. It's the result of abandoning the Light (or better phrase, being abandoned by the Light) which would essentially make them mutually exclusive.

It's why when priests began and had race specific spells that the only two races with shadow spells were Trolls and Forsaken. Mechanic wise you couldn't make it so that only those two priests had the shadow tree, so it was mechanically made available to all and has since evolved to be homogenized.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Priest

You'll find that when you see any form of Dark Priest for other races, they aren't shadow priests, but some other variant. In Northrend, you have Raven priests amongst the humans. They really aren't priests according to in game lore, but rather shadow mages and they have no holy aspect to them. Same with your Sunwell Eredar (note: not Draenei, they have Burning Legion influences).

Which is why my advice was to figure out how she would manage the shadow magic aspect of her character since that would help her figure out the other aspects of her character's personality. It also determines how closely to lore she fits. You don't have to RP casting Devouring Plague when you can describe it as mentalism where you've tricked the brain into thinking it's under attack and responding by attacking itself.

A useful and helpful guide if you want it.
http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/12/14/all-the-worlds-a-stage-so-you-want-to-be-a-priest/
Edited by Izby on 3/30/2013 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]