what is causing me mana issues

90 Blood Elf Paladin
how do paladins get mana back it seems like by the time boss hit 40% I am running dry on mana, I use holy radiance for AOE and Flash of Light A LOT but the problem is damage comes in so fast that I am forced to use Flash of Light HL just is way too slow for me and I use Holy Shock off GCD a long with lights hammer

what am i doing wrong I just I was recently forced to play old resto druid because I was at wits end in terms of this problem
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
do you have any logs we can read? which raids are you trying to do/healing comp? you're not giving us much info to work off of, besides that you should only be using FoL in life or death situations
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
no I don't have any logs, I quit my Paladin after I couldn't take it about a week or so ago, the problem is I end up in so many situations were FoL trumps my other heals...the cast time in HL and DL just own me, I have tried switching to those but half the time the tank just keeps going down and down I am forced to switch

I was told as Holy Paladin I would have to stand within melee range to auto swing or judge off GCD for mana

is that true????
Reply Quote
are you using your Holy power heals consistently? Word of Glory and Light of Dawn? Using them is the primary way you conserve mana. make sure you are using them and not capping on Holy power and you're mana should be in a better place. Also, you actually need to consider overhearing now. the days of a paladin spamming flash of light for hours on end with a full mana bar are long gone. Pick the best heal available.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Get 4p t14, problem solved. you'll have more HS usage instead of FoL, plus more HP generation so you can use EF to replace some FoL's too.

Really, you are probably just trying to do too much, too soon for your gear. Paladins have the ability to spend their mana very quickly if they aren't careful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I was told as Holy Paladin I would have to stand within melee range to auto swing or judge off GCD for mana

is that true????

judging is now obsolete and severely outdated. i personally dont auto swing, however it is a way to regain mana. our main mana regen is diving plea and should be used at 250k mana or less (some use it higher and lower than the 250k mark). are you trying to heal 5mans or raiding (not including lfr); if raiding what is your healer comp?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Stop casting FoL. Shock on CD, use HoP wisely, win.

Also you would do yourself a favor but looking at others reforging as you are kind of a mess.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
no I don't have any logs, I quit my Paladin after I couldn't take it about a week or so ago, the problem is I end up in so many situations were FoL trumps my other heals...the cast time in HL and DL just own me, I have tried switching to those but half the time the tank just keeps going down and down I am forced to switch

is that true????
On some bosses being in melee will cause ranged-only splashing effects (ranged be spread) to hit all the melee. So be careful.

But it can help.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
btw the main bulk of paladins priority is spirit (until comfortable)>int>mastery>crit>haste

drop your glyph of illumination
Edited by Jarshie on 4/1/2013 8:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
okay I will drop the glyph, what should I replace it with?

and what should I reforge for? I am currently in some pvp gear, I am switching those pieces out as I get more pve gear but I am focusing on Intellect/Spirit but most of my pieces have Spirit and I don't have the option to reforge for more

I am using EF A LOT I have it on 4+ people running at all time holy shocking on GCD and I will try to force myself to use less FoL
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
the glyphs are pretty personal.

i prefer the following:
glyph of divinity, as it seems like my mana could use some help by the time i need to lay on hands someone

glyph of flash of light, as its a nice life saver to help fully bump them out of the red

glyph of divine plea (one of the more debated ones), as i personally prefer casting my mana regen
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A few pieces of advice I have for you:
1. Read the "MOAR LIGHT" guide for holy on the paladin forums. I don't think it's been updated for 5.2, but not a whole lot changed for us. It should still give you good basics for gear and spell usage.

2. Can't really give you too much advice on your gear, because I can't tell if you logged out in a PvP set. If that is your PvE set, then get rid of the pvp gems/stats. Like Jarshie said, I would focus on reforging and gemming for spirit/mastery, if I were you. I'm not saying that's the only build, but it has worked pretty well for me, and it looks like you and I may be trying similar content. Mastery will also help your mana consumption by decreasing to the amount of damage a person takes, and therefore the amount you have to heal.

3. I use Divine Plea at about 70-75% (even 80% if I have time) mana. The sooner you use it, the sooner it will be up again, and as long as you are healing, it's not going to waste.

4. Make sure you take advantage of the AoE splash heal on holy shock after you use a holy radiance. It adds up. Also, try to work on precasting DL or HL if you know someone is going to be taking damage, as spamming FoL is defnitely going to chomp through your mana. Holy shock is really a strong heal, and in a lot of cases, it's enough. FoL should really be for emergencies only if you are having mana issues.

EDIT: Missed the new responses as I was typing :)
Edited by Weeblzwobble on 4/1/2013 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
if the gear has spirit on it, then reforge from haste (if no haste, then crit) to mastery
Edited by Jarshie on 4/1/2013 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

4. Make sure you take advantage of the AoE splash heal on holy shock after you use a holy radiance. It adds up. Also, try to work on precasting DL or HL if you know someone is going to be taking damage, as spamming FoL is defnitely going to chomp through your mana. Holy shock is really a strong heal, and in a lot of cases, it's enough. FoL should really be for emergencies only if you are having mana issues.

very good call with this. except, make sure to only use Holy radiance when everyone is stacked as its a very small aoe with great potential for heals, at the cost of a ton of mana
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
very good call with this. except, make sure to only use Holy radiance when everyone is stacked as its a very small aoe with great potential for heals, at the cost of a ton of mana

Good point :) Thanks for clarifying!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
spamming FoL is never the answer. Divine light is much more mana conservative and even spamming that constantly will drain you.

reforge for spirit until you notice a comfort zone. Mine is at 10k unbuffed and I'm pretty good with where I'm at.

the tier 14 two set will reduce the cost of holy radiance by 10% so that helps a little.

still, FoL is the oh man this guy is about to die better hit the oh shiz button.

glyphs....divine plea, divinity- using lay on hands gives you 10% mana back but increases the cooldown not bad. and I usually use protector of the innocent for the self-healing so I don't have to worry about myself as much.

Light of dawn is a good glyph for 5-mans and some 10 mans when you can get away when with it. helps with the AOE for me
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
spamming FoL is never the answer. Divine light is much more mana conservative and even spamming that constantly will drain you.

reforge for spirit until you notice a comfort zone. Mine is at 10k unbuffed and I'm pretty good with where I'm at.

the tier 14 two set will reduce the cost of holy radiance by 10% so that helps a little.

still, FoL is the oh man this guy is about to die better hit the oh shiz button.

glyphs....divine plea, divinity- using lay on hands gives you 10% mana back but increases the cooldown not bad. and I usually use protector of the innocent for the self-healing so I don't have to worry about myself as much.

Light of dawn is a good glyph for 5-mans and some 10 mans when you can get away when with it. helps with the AOE for me

those are very good glyphs as well. i have tried them both and like them as well
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Racial at 90% (2% is worth it). Plea at 80% (don't forget the Glyph). Potion. Insight (get in melee, those 4% swings add up). LoH (Glyphed, use it to save your butt, or get mana back if you have to).

Mastery & Spirit are your friends. Spirit for faster regen, Mastery so people take less damage.

Ditch the PVP Power gems (they just add to healing anyways for Holy). You're better off with Spirit/Mastery.

Avoid FoL like the plague. Treat it like LoH. Use it when you have to but use everything else first. You're instants (HS/WoG/EF/LoD) are almost always better options, and if they aren't up look at DL or HR depending on how many people have damage and were they are.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]