Atonement Nerf, No buff to compensate? (PVE)

100 Blood Elf Priest
I went towards as much mastery as possible. I actually am enjoying it more than I thought.

For starters the amount of flat bonus healing I gained from mastery almost offsets the atonement nerf so the actual numbers I see on my screen are roughly the same as they were pre-5.3. Obviously I get way less crits so the overall throughput for atonement is less but the triage seems to be on par or maybe even better because of the addition to player preference over pets. Triage is the more important aspect of atonement anyways so I'm already glad for that swap.

Secondly, bubble spam seems to be really strong in most 10 man situations.

Thirdly, SS stacks slower because mastery doesn't scale with it like crit does anymore, but in a 10 man setting you can still max cap SS on the entire raid before the damage comes out without all that crit.

TL;DR Mastery swap has been beneficial so far for me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Hmmmmmm...

So tempting Ovi. I'm already pretty bubble lovin'. I might give it a try tonight and see how it feels.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Did you switch to the healer meta (you had said you used the dps one before) for this, Ovi? Since I had the healer meta, my high mastery served me well as it seems the best use for it in cases where stuff like Halo was on CD was to bubble spam.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/22/2013 06:38 AMPosted by Kerias
Did you switch to the healer meta (you had said you used the dps one before) for this, Ovi?

I sure did!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Did you switch to the healer meta (you had said you used the dps one before) for this, Ovi? Since I had the healer meta, my high mastery served me well as it seems the best use for it in cases where stuff like Halo was on CD was to bubble spam.

This is what worries me when reforging. No meta--> high mana cost of bubble spam. I am 10 man, so I don't seem to feel it too badly, but ... Optimally high bubble spam stat should go with the bubble spam gem, eh?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
I don't necessarily think so. It throttles the spamming part for sure, but I was high mastery before (mostly because I also play holy and am lazy about reforging) and did well enough. The meta just meant even more bubbles.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I don't necessarily think so. It throttles the spamming part for sure, but I was high mastery before (mostly because I also play holy and am lazy about reforging) and did well enough. The meta just meant even more bubbles.

I guess we'll see. I tend to have PW: Shield at top or 2nd top healing spell. So I really would get a benefit out of it, I'm sure. I'm just wary. I've kept my stats so I can go Holy at any time as well (rent-a-holy). The standard first haste break point, and enough spirit to get me by if needed.

So I suppose switching over to more mastery would only help that.

Hmm.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
With the DH change, and BT/atonement changes, and with us getting into more meaty heroic content, I hope I get to be holy a lot more.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm charged for it. I'm so ready for Tortos.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I love my guild-mates and so won't unsub... I'll just have to change specs or work on another toon - or actually I just don't know what to do ... . I'm very unhappy with nerfs to disc. I tried all morning in LFRs to change my rotation, to use more from disc toolbox - to no avail. I was considerably lower in heals and dps - too much a loss. to be viable right now imo. I know the argument will be, "You will adjust" ... No. There is no adjustment. This happens periodically where they make one class shine and one class really, really suck ... Priest is sucking hard now. Atonement was great in that we did dps - which is very need for progression raiding, where dps can struggle, and I can heal while helping us progress. I don't see my disc being viable now for that -and we just started ToT where disc helped us tremendously. I'm very worried right now I will be 'carry' when I was an asset to10 man. I don't see the reasoning behind the nerf - you give a heal class an ability to dps and heal - guess what? It will dps and heal. If you're trying to make classes more versatile, you don't nerf them to point of uselessness. Some say disc was 'op,' most likely those people are lower gear score or just don't play their class well. So when they look at recount or etc - they see they are lacking in heals and complain. Blizzard really hurt disc viability especially for progression raiding where our hybrid shines. I will have to give up yet another glyph spot to place dispel ... Other aspects of priest have been nerfed or entirely taken away in pvp. I'm not serious about pvp ... I mainly just like to play around - but I can see how this has seriously angered people devoted to pvp. The changes in 5.3 were just wrong... But then this happens with every change, where Blizzard goes TOO deep and leaves classes struggling or rolling a different one, which they will turn to nerf too so you create another...Eventually people get sick of this type of errant game cycling.

You don't give a class damage heals and then take them away... or render them near useless. Especially with a new expansion and guilds starting progression. Very bad judgement. I'm not sure now what to do with my disc - as I said we just began ToT progression and our dps is a little low ... My disc gave us that push we needed. As for comment on heroics and using just atonement ... What is the gear of people running heroic raids? Are they exceptionally good at avoiding damage? Do they use their classes well? All this plays a part in whether a disc priest is needed for solid heals or can provide raids heals via atonement... What about the other healers? Atonement healing is just for those situations... Where you don't' need 3 solid heals...or 2 solid heals even ...
Edited by Muffinmayhem on 5/22/2013 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
which is very need for progression raiding, where dps can struggle, and I can heal while helping us progress.

Which is why it was nerfed. We have some powerful tools in our toolkit, nad it's just not fair to other healers to hear over and over "We'll bring the priest for the extra dps". The pressure of dps checks should be on the dps and the dps alone.

05/22/2013 07:16 AMPosted by Muffinmayhem
Other aspects of priest have been nerfed or entirely taken away in pvp. I'm not serious about pvp

Skill curve is much higher, but people are still very successful. It was a help to your healer but in reality, void shift and mass dispel changes were needed to bring some more engaging play to PvP. Now one has to think about how they want to dispel, it's a tool at this point--not a process.

You don't give a class damage heals and then take them away... or render them near useless.

My heroic Jin Rokh kill last night and attempts on heroic Horridon beg to differ. Atonement will have it's place. It's still strong in damage modifier fights and will have it's place in normal fights.

My disc gave us that push we needed.

And that's unfair to our fellow healers.

What is the gear of people running heroic raids? Are they exceptionally good at avoiding damage? Do they use their classes well? All this plays a part in whether a disc priest is needed for solid heals or can provide raids heals via atonement... What about the other healers? Atonement healing is just for those situations... Where you don't' need 3 solid heals...or 2 solid heals even ...

You need 2-3 solid heals in Heroic progression. While you can't take a excessive avoidable damage, you must heal through much more intense raid wide damage. Of course everyone uses their personal CD's, uses healthstones, and is decently geared. They play their classes well. But you don't avoid raid wide mechanic damage. And healers are needed. All types of healers, in fact.

Atonement has it's place. So do all the other skills in our tool kit. Interesting that Ovi mentioned the beneficial affect it has on Triage healing, this is a very good sign that disc will learn to play better with others.

All the healers are in a great place right now. Period. What you bring to the raid is completely depend on strat/raid comp and really, player skill. Player skill is 90% of the battle.
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/22/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Holy has its places in heroic ToT. People will disagree and be angry about not having barrier and "op absorbs" but I would say that holy is just as good, if not better, than disc for these heroic modes: Tortos, Council, Iron Qon, and even Lei Shen.

Of course your healing comp matters greatly when determining this. If you have a holy pally or another priest disc, you can get by with holy a LOT better since other people will still cover enough absorbs. If you have only triage and smart heal classes (druid monk holy priest shaman), going holy will prove to be a detriment to the raid on any of the before mentioned fights.

edit: lol bad typo. put "holy pally" in instead of "holy priest" for my smart heal triage list.
Edited by Ovi on 5/22/2013 7:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I struggled badly in Iron Qon heroic as disc. There was just so much damage going out-- sure the barrier was a nice CD to have, but raw healing seemed much more valuable. In my part of the triage that is. We have a shaman/druid and me. Things might be different now that I have more gear.
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/22/2013 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You would be surprised at how much healing you are doing behind the scenes through absorbs on Qon if you have a shaman/druid with you. They should be covering the bulk of health recovery and triage. Sure you definitely help, but I bet DA/bubble/SS is a huge portion of healing done that immediately reduced the amount of triage that would be needed later. Sucks to hear, but I wouldn't try holy without a pally healing along with me. I do love me some holy.
Edited by Ovi on 5/22/2013 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
We have a pally but he went on a short vacation... (no vacations when you raid? what is this?) so the shaman is helping out.

A lot of damage going out in the fight. I had never seen it on normal, so going in on heroic was a challenge.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I struggled badly in Iron Qon heroic as disc. There was just so much damage going out-- sure the barrier was a nice CD to have, but raw healing seemed much more valuable. In my part of the triage that is. We have a shaman/druid and me. Things might be different now that I have more gear.

Tbh if your melee aren't dying from Unleashed Flame I don't see much reason to be Disc on the fight. Being able to add EH through SS/PW:S to the melee pile while Ro'shak is getting burned is really valuable in preventing gibs, but if that's not a problem, Holy's throughput is outta control for Fist Smashes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
05/22/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Nixxin

Tbh if your melee aren't dying from Unleashed Flame I don't see much reason to be Disc on the fight. Being able to add EH through SS/PW:S to the melee pile while Ro'shak is getting burned is really valuable in preventing gibs, but if that's not a problem, Holy's throughput is outta control for Fist Smashes.

That was my thought. Especially when our dk/rogue are back for this week, the melee group is REALLY strong. Pal/Dk/Rogue/war

So group 1 takes 3, and they take the rest. I'd have time to Divine Hymn for my CD there, and use it again during fish smash easily. That was my thought anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
So group 1 takes 3, and they take the rest. I'd have time to Divine Hymn for my CD there, and use it again during fish smash easily. That was my thought anyways.

I usually hymn after the windstorm, and it is back up again in plenty of time for the end. Depends on what other raid cd's you guys have, though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
05/22/2013 09:50 AMPosted by Mythrose

I usually hymn after the windstorm, and it is back up again in plenty of time for the end. Depends on what other raid cd's you guys have, though.

Gates/devo aura. I lifegrip the mt over too, so really, the damage is maybe 50% of people's health. The druid has it 4pc and his meta so he can lolrejuvspam very easily which seems to compliment my disc (we're currently working on horridon together).

I'll deifnitely be going Holy for Tortos, but we'll see on the rest.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I'm kinda excited about this nerf. never really atonement healed til MoP made me to be viable. Now get to go back to doing what healers are suppose to do... HEAL
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]