Confused About Which Spec to Choose

90 Undead Warlock
Hey guys, I just started leveling a warlock after a long break since Cataclysm. However, now that I'm back, I'm so confused about all the warlock specs and the changes.

What is each spec "for"? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each spec? Which specs are for PVP and PVE? I'm just trying to figure out which specs to be at level 90. Thanks for your help guys.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
Demo - Burst aoe, timed burst for mechanics, Spread cleaving, Mass aoe (9+)
Affli - Burst cleave, fights w/ adds that you can drain soul for soul shards
Destro - Wins anything between 2-8 targets if they're clustered enough for RoF, also fights where you can abuse havoc/shadowburn (fight with lots of easily killed adds)

They're all relatively similar single target. Affli pulls ahead in BiS but thats because they benefit ridiculously from the new legendary meta, which no one even has yet. That being said, demo is slightly better at movement fights because of demonic leap/ToC spam, don't have to deal with the 30% slow from KJC as much.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Destro - Wins anything between 2-8 targets if they're clustered enough for RoF, also fights where you can abuse havoc/shadowburn (fight with lots of easily killed adds)

They're all relatively similar single target. Affli pulls ahead in BiS but thats because they benefit ridiculously from the new legendary meta, which no one even has yet. That being said, demo is slightly better at movement fights because of demonic leap/ToC spam, don't have to deal with the 30% slow from KJC as much.

So does it really come down to personal preference? What are the play styles of each spec like?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Destro until like 502 ilvl then afflic. demo sucks. and if youre pvp destro and only destro
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
Destro until like 502 ilvl then afflic. demo sucks. and if youre pvp destro and only destro

I love ignorance, because it r bliss.

So does it really come down to personal preference? What are the play styles of each spec like?

There is a wider distribution of parsing for warlock specs than at any point thus far in the expansion, for good reason. Nothing is underpowered by any stretch, and all three warlock specs are insanely high on the meters right now. If you want to min/max then its fight based. I play demo for a lot of single target/high movement because frankly destro single gets boring. My affliction spec went in the trash as soon as I figured out that basically every fight in ToT favors it, and the ones that don't demo is hilarious w/ unerring snapshotting.

Unless you're in a top guild, you shouldn't worry about that !@#$ though. There isn't a spec in the game that isn't viable for lfr/normals.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
HC
03/29/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Noctowl
My affliction spec went in the trash as soon as I figured out that basically every fight in ToT favors it

this line confuses me, you dumped afflic because it was good for most ToT fights or some form of typo on your part?

I meant destruction :P. Destro can gimp a lot of mechanics on fights with lots of adds like horridon and tortos. For the fights I don't play destro on, demo matches affli single target until you add the legendary meta/heroic BiS, so I don't really have a reason to play a spec I don't enjoy anymore in a semi-hardcore environment. But like I said, unless you're hardcore, you don't really need to worry about this stuff. Unless, of course, you decide you feel that you'll do more dps as another spec and actively decide to better yourself, which makes you sort of 'hardcore' :3.

All 3 specs are good, play what you prefer unless you hit that wall where you feel you could do better as something else.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
03/29/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Noctowl
My affliction spec went in the trash as soon as I figured out that basically every fight in ToT favors it

this line confuses me, you dumped afflic because it was good for most ToT fights or some form of typo on your part?

He dumped Affliction because he hates it with a passion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]