Bioshock Infinite (Possible Spoilers)

90 Orc Hunter
So, what did you all think of it? I loved it, just thinking about starting again on 1999 mode.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB
I loved it too but I wish they had focused a bit more on songbird. Maybe even throw in a boss fight with him.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Couple things about this game...

Spoilers, you have been warned

I see a common theme in all the Bioshocks. Someone is trying to play God. Whether that had been Andrew Ryan, Sofia Lamb or Comstock.

There is always the girl that needs protecting. In Bioshock, the big daddies did this and Songbird reminds me of the way a big daddy would have acted towards his little sister. The girl was Eleanor Lamb in Bioshock 2 and then we have Elizabeth in Infinite.

Elizabeth spoke of different worlds and I found myself wondering how in the world the events related to the original Bioshock. Then I began to think...is Booker the same guy we play in Bioshock just in a different world? The story always seems the same, but with a difference in how things play out. As the Letuce's said, it's not what but when. There is always a father and a daughter.

Of course, this is all speculation that I took from the events in Infinite. I still have many questions. Why Elizabeth? How did she gain her abilities to open tears? What debt did Booker have to wipe away in the first place?

Also, when you first reach Columbia and you slowly go down into that foyer and hear the voices singing, surrounded by stained glass and the gold statues. I had to stop and just listen to it for a few moments. It is one of those rare moments in a game when you feel truly inspired and it ranks right up there with some of the best moments in gaming for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Of course, this is all speculation that I took from the events in Infinite. I still have many questions. Why Elizabeth? How did she gain her abilities to open tears? What debt did Booker have to wipe away in the first place?

*Spoilers*

Elizabeth was chosen because Comstock became sterile from experiments with the Lutece and the tears. He wanted a child of his own DNA so he used a tear to get Anna/Elizabeth from Booker's dimension. Elizabeth could open tears because part of her pinky finger was still in the other dimension and that gave her the abilities. I believe Booker had gambling debts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The ending pissed me off

I just wanted them to get to paris but nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I believe Booker had gambling debts.

Booker had a LOT of problems. Gambling was the least of it.

It's difficult to talk about this without getting into mega-spoilers. The game is largely about redemption, forgiveness, and, possibly, predestination.

To say the ending is strange in an understatement--and complicated by the implications of the scene after the credits roll. Also, Elizabeth's escape to Rapture to settle the issue of Songbird brings up even more speculation--that an alternate Booker might have been the protaganist in Bioshock, where he finally does get a degree of closure with his past--and possible future.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/01/2013 04:15 PMPosted by Melikar
MORE SPOILERS!!!

Seriously, I'm about to talk about the ending. If you haven't beat the game, you shouldn't be reading this. I'm only writing these sentences so you can still change your mind, and hopefully haven't read what I typed below on accident.

The game is governed by the theory that each decision we make, an alternate reality is created for each choice. After the Battle of Wounded Knee, Booker was offered a baptism to wipe away his sins. This creates universes where he declines the baptism and remains Booker DeWitt, who goes on to rack up gambling debts and violence, but also has a baby daughter named Anna. In the universes where he accepts the baptism, he is "born again," and changes is name to Zachary Hale Comstock.

That Comstock, along with the help of the Luteces, goes on the build Columbia. Through the Lutece's research on tears into different dimensions, Comstock becomes sterile. But since he wants an heir, he crosses dimensions to take Anna DeWitt, his "alternate reality" daughter. There isn't anything special about Anna, the Luteces performed experiments on her giving her the ability to make tears, then Comstock made them build the Siphon to control those abilities.

The debt, Booker had assumed it was his gambling debt. In reality, his debt is his horrible past that Comstock still remembers. And so, "Bring us the girl, wipe away the debt" means, "Sell your daughter to Comstock, so he can create a land where his past is forgotten."

To say the ending is strange in an understatement--and complicated by the implications of the scene after the credits roll. Also, Elizabeth's escape to Rapture to settle the issue of Songbird brings up even more speculation--that an alternate Booker might have been the protaganist in Bioshock, where he finally does get a degree of closure with his past--and possible future.
In the scene after the credits roll, it's the Booker that didn't take the baptism. See, at the ed when all the Elizabeths drown Booker, that only applies to to Booker that accepted the baptism, therefor preventing the existence of Comstock. In the universes in which Booker doesn't accept the baptism, Comstock isn't created. Since Comstock isn't created, Booker doesn't have to sell his daughter. Hopefully he has a better life, since after he sold his daughter, he had a rough life working for the Pinkertons, becoming the person we play in-game.
Edited by Brickend on 4/2/2013 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
They weren't kidding when they named it Bioshock:Infinite.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They weren't kidding when they named it Bioshock:Infinite.

Nope. Kind of like Marathon: Infinity.

It's not a new concept. The first instance I ran across this sort of thing was Heinlein's Number of the Beast.
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
So, what did you all think of it? I loved it, just thinking about starting again on 1999 mode.

Game of the Generation and worth every single release date pushback. I can't wait for the DLC storylines that will be coming out. I would love to learn more about the Lutece's and more about what their goals were.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

There is always the girl that needs protecting. In Bioshock, the big daddies did this and Songbird reminds me of the way a big daddy would have acted towards his little sister. The girl was Eleanor Lamb in Bioshock 2 and then we have Elizabeth in Infinite.

Elizabeth spoke of different worlds and I found myself wondering how in the world the events related to the original Bioshock. Then I began to think...is Booker the same guy we play in Bioshock just in a different world? The story always seems the same, but with a difference in how things play out. As the Letuce's said, it's not what but when. There is always a father and a daughter.

It's as Liz said in the game's finale; constants and variables. There's always a city, always a girl in trouble, always a guardian, always a lighthouse; only the key players change. In a way, it's metacommentary on video games and video game design in general; even Mario had to save Peach from Bowser a seemingly infinite amount of times.

To that end, it can be assumed that every time you die in Bioshock Infinite, you come back not as the Booker who died, but rather as one of the infinite number of Bookers who have yet to die. It's pretty clear the Lutece twins (they themselves two variables of the same person) have been at this business for a long time.

In any case, an insanely well-crafted yarn that's a good argument for games as a valid storytelling medium. The whole game is incredibly circuitous; wheels within wheels that should seemingly trip over themselves ultimately leave very few loose threads to unravel (particularly if you make it a point to grab the Voxaphones; lotta story points hidden in those).
Edited by Kopperschott on 4/5/2013 2:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB
The ending pissed me off

I just wanted them to get to paris but nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah wtf they never made it to paris!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah wtf they never made it to paris!

Maybe residual memory in the epilogue Booker compelled him to take Anna to Paris when she's older?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I love it. Overall, it's even better than Bioshock 1. But, my 2 complaints are:

1. Too many copy/pasted npcs. Some on them are even wearing the exact same clothes
2. There's only Autosave. No ability to manually save.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Okay I had some time to think about the game.

I skipped the post credit sequence. So I didn't see Booker waking up again to walk into Annas room. I was grumpy because I thought they just wanted to go on a downer ending. But then I remembered "Oh wait....infinite storylines" so there IS a happy ending. We just only get hinted at it.

The only real thing that seemed mediocre was the combat. The rest of the game I adored. Not sure I would give it a 10 like so many people are doing. An 8 maybe just because the combat is odd. And I think you waste your Vigors too quickly since they take up so much salt. Even with upgrades. Shooters are fun and all but cmon. I WANNA SHOOT MORE CROWS AT PEOPLE. Gimme more of that.

Also more Songbird. He was awesome and I wanted to see more of him. I love the scenes where he's interacting with Elizabeth. Just this big behemoth yet he's so gentle with her. And I love how he moves when he's in that "Friendly defender mode" Although yeah I did go "oh *beep cant say that word*" Where he almost kills Booker and his claws are RIGHT THERE by your face.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The endings twist reminded me of the screenplay twist that Donald Kauffman, aspiring screenwriter, believes is so genius in Adaptation: http://youtu.be/ap9g2vR32Vg?t=42s
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
It begins to make sense now.

I am very much looking forward to the DLC they will release. 9 hours played time is way too short.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Only nine? I clocked about fifteen, but I left no trashbin unchecked.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]