Set bonus question.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I have a question about the 4 set bonus. I'm currently using it but I have a couple of pieces that are higher ilvl. 496 helm from Galleon, and a 489 shoulders from Will. Would it be more beneficial to keep the 4 set or use the higher ilvl pieces. Ty :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Holy spec? Hands down, keep the 4 piece. You *may* replace it if you get a mixture of 502's/522's. Maybe.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Even if the holy pieces are 483?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yeah. You can look at it different ways, but the T-14 4-piece is worth about 5-10% throughput. Depending upon your Holy Shock usage, you can also look at it as between 3-5k Spirit. You won't be able to make that up with raw stats readily.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I broke the set on tuesday after getting 5 new pieces (Helm, chest, boots, ring, and shoulders) for about 5ilvls worth of upgrade. I retained the T14 2pc bonus, but did not get the T15 2pc.

Overall, I broke even. If I get another piece that gives me the T15 2pc, I think I will jump up ahead (even at the same ilvl). My HoPo (really the HS rotation) does feel much clunkier though.

When I have T14 2pc & t15 2pc (concurrently) I do feel that I will be ahead about 10%. The synergy of the two sets should work nicely together. Losing the T14 2pc will hurt a lot though. I just can't see the T15 4 pc outweighing the HR mana reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
While the synergy looks nice between them, the loss of the reduced cast time on Holy Shock means fewer Daybreaks overall, even if the ones you get are stronger. While 2 and 2 should net greater healing than a complete 4-piece for AoE healing (either T14 or T15), it could be only a marginal gain, depending heavily upon your current haste and whether you're using Holy Avenger (HR + LoD + HS + LoD is a 7 second cycle, reduced by haste to a little under 6 seconds, which is ideal. The 4 second cooldown wouldn't help much there at all).

I still advise retaining the full T-14 in most circumstances, but different playstyles and raid compositions can indeed make it where T-15 is competitive.

If you're set on using either 2/2 or T-15 4-piece, some added math might help? Each HR you cast saves you 2,160 mana.

6 minute fight: ~53.1 Spirit per cast.
9 minute fight: ~35.4 Spirit per cast
12 minute fight: ~26.5 Spirit per cast

So if, for example, you're fighting Jin'rokh, and you cast it, oh, 15 times during the fight, it'd be worth close to 800 Spirit. Just some numbers so you can compare the itemization lost by using weaker gear versus the set bonus itself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While the synergy looks nice between them, the loss of the reduced cast time on Holy Shock means fewer Daybreaks overall, even if the ones you get are stronger. While 2 and 2 should net greater healing than a complete 4-piece for AoE healing (either T14 or T15), it could be only a marginal gain, depending heavily upon your current haste and whether you're using Holy Avenger (HR + LoD + HS + LoD is a 7 second cycle, reduced by haste to a little under 6 seconds, which is ideal. The 4 second cooldown wouldn't help much there at all).

I still advise retaining the full T-14 in most circumstances, but different playstyles and raid compositions can indeed make it where T-15 is competitive.

If you're set on using either 2/2 or T-15 4-piece, some added math might help? Each HR you cast saves you 2,160 mana.

6 minute fight: ~53.1 Spirit per cast.
9 minute fight: ~35.4 Spirit per cast
12 minute fight: ~26.5 Spirit per cast

So if, for example, you're fighting Jin'rokh, and you cast it, oh, 15 times during the fight, it'd be worth close to 800 Spirit. Just some numbers so you can compare the itemization lost by using weaker gear versus the set bonus itself.

Keep in mind I'm coming from 483 T14 4pc (excluding gloves which I kept) going to T14 2pc T15 +. My main gains right now are from INT, Haste, and Crit. I didn't gain much in the way of Spirit or Mastery (I did gain some but not massive amounts). As it stands, I'm "breaking even," but the T15 2pc will probably be what really pushes me over the edge to real gains.

If I had been in 496 T14, it wouldn't have made sense at all. The stat gains would have been minimal, and I probably would have seen losses overall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]