Holyret 5 mans

70 Gnome Mage
So after reading a thread about rethealing in 5s, I decided to try it.

My paladin is level 65 with the usual pvp gear and one pve weapon which just happens to be plus 80 ap I think it is.
His hp is not even 9k. And flash of light on himself non crit is hitting for 12k.
35k when selfless healer stacks and it crits on a party member. Pair that with WOG off every judgement, and crusader strike and exo, I do amazingly well at healing 5s. I think in 5 levels, I have seen one person die and it was a UH dk tanking that pulled too many.

But that group in specific there was 2 people that just insulted me the whole run saying ret isn't made to heal, I suck, I'm a cata baby. Been playing sincevanilla mind you...

Why are people so horrified that someone else might spec a certain way, and actually get the job done just fine but have fun? I mean sure, it's not holy. But I heal exceptionally well. I might have to hardcast 1 or 2 flashes per run that isn't benefitting from selfless.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
03/29/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Tenfoottall
Why are people so horrified that someone else might spec a certain way, and actually get the job done just fine but have fun?

Just like how Locks "can" be a tanking build spec, you much rather have a real tank right?
I used to tank back in wrath on my enh shaman(rockbiter+resil gear back when it helped be crit immune) and I always got sht from it in pugs, altho I could tank ICC 10man fine lol. People just freak out if they see a spec not doing what they normally should, and idk about others, but I can't stand wiping in randoms, it gets annoying quick

It's best to run these unique builds with a group of friends, it's easier because you know they won't stand in bad stuff, and you won't get crap for it. and you can show off being so coo as ret xD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A lot of people can't get around what should be, not what can be, or if they can't do it, then other people shouldn't try. Some people are just flat out afraid.

In the lower level instances especially, they are just incredibly undertuned (or more specifically, they are tuned to be fairly easy in level-appropriate questing gear, which means not heirlooms or 60/70/80 epic pvp gear). Well geared 62-63 tanks can solo the level 68 instances. A lot of the 60-63 instances have been done by nothing but DKs, and that was back in LK, when they didn't have heirloom gear.

Real healers in low level instances tend to be the most bored half-afk people in existence because you just don't need to heal that much.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Mage
Ya I was just talking to a paladin that was appaled at the idea of healing 5 mans as ret, and he was level 60.

I would be all for a lock tank. I see hunter pets with growl on all the time. I really don't care if everyone runs unspecced and nekkid being afk the whole run, so long as it gets cleared in a appropriate manner.

And wiping, it happens. Weather it be from ret heals, or just bad players. But wipes happen all the time. I see more wipes with regular groups than peole thinking outside the box simply because everyone is bored running 3dps 1 tank 1 heals. And when you have a person filling a different role than specd or gered for, they usually have to actually try. There is more happening and more skill involved.

But I like how the 2 people complained all the way up until we got the last boss down. I figured at some point they woulda seen it was working and changed their mind, but noooo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Real healers in low level instances tend to be the most bored half-afk people in existence because you just don't need to heal that much.

I just had a flash back to my Resto Druid in Blackrock Depths almost 5 years ago. Spent 90% of those 2 hours /follow'd on the mage while I alt tabbed reading 4chan, alt tabbing back in every minute or so to throw a reju on the tank.

Dungeon leveling a healer is horrible.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not horrible.. you just have to dps or you'll go crazy. Toward the end of Cata I leveled a different paladin as holy and spent so much time doing damage that I was usually doing more than the actual dps.
Reply Quote
It's tolerable when you play a healer like you're dpsing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]