Resto Sham: Experimenting with Stat Priority

I've been lurking around on the forum and I've seen people mention going for a Critical build for Resto. I've been thinking about trying it out since I heal in 10 with a Holy Paladin and Discipline Priest. Lately I feel like I haven't been doing too hot. I've seen it suggested that going all out crit at the expense of spirit and mastery might be the way to go in this situation, and plan on experimenting with it. I'm basically looking to get the most out of my healing while working with these two healing specs and need some advice.

Should I gem for Int, Int/Crit or straight Crit? I'm assuming Int/Crit.

Any tips for getting the most out of resurgence? Spells I should try to prioritize more or less given that I will be relying mostly on resurgence for mana longevity?

Is it viable in general, or conversely is it not viable in certain situations? Is eschewing spirit and mastery in lieu of all out crit particularly bad for any encounters in ToT?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Int is going to always be significantly higher pure throughput than Crit will ever be, and Spirit is at least 4 times as strong as Crit from a regen perspective. I wouldn't recommend ever gemming pure Crit, because I can't see any situation where it would be stronger than gemming either pure Spirit or pure INT.

If you do want to go the route of dropping some Spirit (which is an acceptable option in 10 man but not 25), my recommendation would be to still gem Spirit (or gem Spirit/Crit or Int/Spirit hybrid gems for socket bonuses), because you get double the Spirit from gems relative to INT. I would drop the Spirit through reforging and through use INT flasks and food. Another thing that may get you more throughput would be to look into an Elemental Mastery build, where you reforge to either 3039 or 6077 haste. The 3039 haste build would get you 2 extra ticks on HTT whenever used in conjunction with EM. The 6077 haste build would also add an extra tick on HST (if your latency/consistency allows which is something you'd have to test).

If you do go to a low Spirit/high throughput build, aggressively abusing Glyph of Totemic Recall is going to be nearly essential.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have been running a crit build since MoP. It started out as an experiment for resurgence to see how much regen I could expect.

In wrath I believe I ran with 2000ish spirit and in Cata I was working with 4000. I assumed since shaman weren't going through many changes that to follow inflation that 8000 spirit would be a good number to shoot for.

I have found that spirit (for shaman at least) is really a resource for the raid (other healers through MTT). I could be wrong, some may disagree, but for me if I have half a mana bar left at the end of the fight then something is wrong with what I am doing.

I run 25's. I heal with an experienced team of healers whose core has been together for awhile. They do not ask me to inflate my spirit numbers in order to inflate their own ability to regen.

I only go for 50% mastery and I pile on as much crit as I can through gear and gems (spirit/crit for blue slots and int/crit for red, straight crit for yellow). I have parsed quite a few times (if you put any stock in parsing, I do not).

if I am being honest I could probably reforge some spirit away and shoot for 6500-7k and still be fine.

Raid buffed I run 50% mastery, 10% haste, and 30% crit. Regen is NOT an issue for me.

EDIT- I might've put the wrong gem down for red slots-check my armory!
Edited by Bombadil on 3/31/2013 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You basically want to sit at the 50% mastery mark, have enough spirit to be able to sustain yourself, with your gear you can easily get to the second haste break point, then crit.

As Tib said, gemming straight crit isn't that great. There are the hybrid gems that give spirit/crit or intel/crit.

Also, accept the fact that the disc and holy pally are going to absorb mechanic your healing to death. It's an unfortunate side effect with running with those specs. I find ways to work with my resto shaman when I disc, so it's not overly bad for him.
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/31/2013 4:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
EDIT- I might've put the wrong gem down for red slots-check my armory!

You're in your enhance gear, hon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
well crap- f'ing dailies....sorry about being in dps spec/gear.

I should say in regard to how much spirit I like to have that my trinkets help out quite a bit. Fully upgraded DMC and reg SoS are quite awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
well crap- f'ing dailies....sorry about being in dps spec/gear.

I should say in regard to how much spirit I like to have that my trinkets help out quite a bit. Fully upgraded DMC and reg SoS are quite awesome.

It happens.
Reply Quote
03/31/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Tiberria
I wouldn't recommend ever gemming pure Crit, because I can't see any situation where it would be stronger than gemming either pure Spirit or pure INT.

Yeah I kinda figured gemming straight Crit wasn't a good idea, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

03/31/2013 04:06 PMPosted by Bombadil
I only go for 50% mastery and I pile on as much crit as I can through gear and gems (spirit/crit for blue slots and int/crit for red, straight crit for yellow). I have parsed quite a few times (if you put any stock in parsing, I do not).

I don't try to play to meters either. I think I might try out the build you're suggesting, but I might substitute the straight crit in yellow sockets to a crit/int hybrid, unless you really think I should not do so.

03/31/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Tiberria
If you do go to a low Spirit/high throughput build, aggressively abusing Glyph of Totemic Recall is going to be nearly essential.

I could definitely stand to do better at this. Any particular add-ons or settings you might suggest to help keep up with Totemic Recall? I've tried Weak Auras, but I am curious if there is something better since I'm still quite bad at it.

Also, could you please elaborate upon the Elemental Mastery build? If I drop Ancestral Switness wouldn't I have to reforge for too much haste for the second breakpoint? After that would I just reforge for Crit? Do I only use EM before Healing Tide?

03/31/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Jujubiju
You basically want to sit at the 50% mastery mark, have enough spirit to be able to sustain yourself, with your gear you can easily get to the second haste break point, then crit.

Up until this point I have been stacking spirit, sitting at 50% mastery and slightly above the second haste breakpoint (due to potential latency issues) and letting the rest spill over to crit.

The reason that my mastery is well under 50% right now is because I've been testing out more crit. Everything I've heard recently suggests that when teamed with two absorb healers in 10 our mastery suffers. That isn't to say that I don't get any use out of it at all, but a lot of its potential seems wasted.

I don't want to feel like I'm not really contributing much outside of 3 minute CDs unless something goes horribly wrong. That's what Deep Healing feels like at the moment, at least in my situation. It feels like the other healers are carrying the healing and I have to wait for someone to screw up or the other healers to fall behind for whatever reason and then I can swoop in with my mastery and try to "save the day."

That...kinda sucks. If that's going to be the case given the healing composition I'm in, I'm looking to explore other options. If my mastery is devalued when working with absorbs to the point where it rarely fulfills its potential, getting it to 50% as opposed to getting more crit seems less than ideal. Am I wrong in thinking so?

03/31/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Jujubiju
Also, accept the fact that the disc and holy pally are going to absorb mechanic your healing to death

I'm not interested in topping them on meters, of course. However I've had complaints that they (well, the Paladin) feel like they're at times doing their share of the work and mine. If I can change my style a bit so that they feel like some of the pressure is eased off in outside of emergency situations it might help us see a little more eye to eye. And as I said, in general it feels like my mastery isn't doing as much as it could most of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Insofaras haste is concerned I never bother with it. I get just enough to have 5% from gear (+5% from raid, 10% total) to get the first HR tick. I will be adjusting this back up to 7.5% (+5% from raid for 12.5% total) to get the next soft cap. Haste is wonky and unreliable.

My crit gems as I have them allowed me to do something I thought quite valuable. At 25% crit (including the raid buff) 1 out of 4 heals that proc resurgence will return mana to me. At 30% it is 1 out of 3ish. Yes I know crit is RNG, No I dont believe this devalues it at all.

In every slot where I have a straight crit gem I could replace with hybrid spirit/crit. But why? I dont need the spirit.
Edited by Bombadil on 3/31/2013 5:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Insofaras haste is concerned I never bother with it. I get just enough to have 5% from gear (+5% from raid, 10% total) to get the first ELW tick. I will be adjusting this back up to 7.5% (+5% from raid for 12.5% total) to get the next soft cap. Haste is wonky and unreliable.

My crit gems as I have them allowed me to do something I thought quite valuable. At 25% crit (including the raid buff) 1 out of 4 heals that proc resurgence will return mana to me. At 30% it is 1 out of 3ish. Yes I know crit is RNG, No I dont believe this devalues it at all.

In every slot where I have a straight crit gem I could replace with hybrid spirit/crit. But why? I dont need the spirit.

I'm definitely willing to try out straight crit gems if that's what you advise, but I meant is gemming for intellect/critical better than using straight yellow gems? I ask because intellect also has the benefit of giving some crit along with straight throughput.
Edited by Parista on 3/31/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I say if you can do int/crit in a slot and the slot bonus is not that great, go for it.

Int is our #1 stat, no discussion needed.

I use my crit gems to achieve the next "plateau" (25%-30%). I am not sure how far I will take this strat however. I currently dont have many mana issues because of crit (and my trinkets) and crit at such a high percentage greatly impacts throughput.

I cant see myself keeping mastery at 50% (yes I know about DR) to the end of this expansion. I fully expect gear to inflate mastery and haste naturally through 5.4
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/31/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Parista
Should I gem for Int, Int/Crit or straight Crit? I'm assuming Int/Crit.

For purely throughput, generally speaking:

Encounters that heavily utilize single target abilities or depend on your single target spells will favor Crit. Encounters that heavily utilize AoE or depend on your AoE spells will favor Int.

The differences won't be easily distinguishable, though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Int/Mastery all the way, close your eyes and enjoy the ride.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Intellect/Mastery, you say? This is interesting. Does this philosophy still apply when three healing and/or healing with heavy absorb classes in normal 10 man Throne of Thunder? We were lead to believe that Deep Healing didn't provide as much bang for the buck in these situations, generally speaking. Not to say it's terrible, just even more situational than it would normally be given the role that absorbs play.

Is this an incorrect assessment? Also, if she were to gem for Intellect/Mastery and (I would assume) reforge for mastery, about what level would you suggest pushing mastery to?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
The reason that my mastery is well under 50% right now is because I've been testing out more crit. Everything I've heard recently suggests that when teamed with two absorb healers in 10 our mastery suffers. That isn't to say that I don't get any use out of it at all, but a lot of its potential seems wasted.

I don't want to feel like I'm not really contributing much outside of 3 minute CDs unless something goes horribly wrong. That's what Deep Healing feels like at the moment, at least in my situation. It feels like the other healers are carrying the healing and I have to wait for someone to screw up or the other healers to fall behind for whatever reason and then I can swoop in with my mastery and try to "save the day."

That...kinda sucks. If that's going to be the case given the healing composition I'm in, I'm looking to explore other options. If my mastery is devalued when working with absorbs to the point where it rarely fulfills its potential, getting it to 50% as opposed to getting more crit seems less than ideal. Am I wrong in thinking so?

The recommended mastery at 50% is purely for those "OH NO" moments (think that in the tone of that one guy in Family Guy).

I see what you're saying in the feeling useless regard. I just recently had to tell our resto shaman that he was not going ele/enhance because he thought he was doing bad
In my opinion, he's doing just fine as far as healing goes- my main problem with him is his reaction time to certain other things that don't involve healing (could be computer related though).

Plus we generally two heal and I really do not want to have to find a new healer. Personally, I'd let him go ahead and do it if I could take this one if we had another healer (Stag's pretty much dead anymore so..). We do have a druid that goes with us, but he's getting really tired of not progressing so it's hit or miss on when he's on (I do not personally blame the guy, a few of us are getting to that point).

All that aside, I do see where you're coming from:

I even went so far one night to turn off my merge absorbs with healing on my recount to show him that without my disc priests absorbs, he'd be outhealing me.
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/31/2013 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
03/31/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Leucen

Intellect/Mastery, you say? This is interesting. Does this philosophy still apply when three healing and/or healing with heavy absorb classes in normal 10 man Throne of Thunder? We were lead to believe that Deep Healing didn't provide as much bang for the buck in these situations, generally speaking. Not to say it's terrible, just even more situational than it would normally be given the role that absorbs play.

Is this an incorrect assessment? Also, if she were to gem for Intellect/Mastery and (I would assume) reforge for mastery, about what level would you suggest pushing mastery to?

Depends, does said person care more about healing people when it doesn't matter or making sure people don't die when it does?

Sure crit is theoretically better, but if you're 3 healing 10m fights outside of certain heroics I'd rather be able to top someone off quick than do a bit more theoretical healing and have a bit more theoretical mana. Healing is not a spreadsheet which is why I personally advocate mastery. Obviously though all stats are personal preference, mastery is there when you need it most :).
Edited by Sensations on 3/31/2013 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/31/2013 07:48 PMPosted by Sensations

Depends, does said person care more about healing people when it doesn't matter or making sure people don't die when it does?

Sure crit is theoretically better, but if you're 3 healing 10m fights outside of certain heroics I'd rather be able to top someone off quick than do a bit more theoretical healing and have a bit more theoretical mana. Healing is not a spreadsheet which is why I personally advocate mastery.

It's funny, because for how much I have disagreed with you on other things, I can't tell you how much I agree with you on that. It just seems so obvious to me. A build that is heavy on Int and Mastery means that as a shaman, you will be getting more powerful heals to people when they need it the most.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yep. I can't imagine any healer stacking crit just because it improves your average numbers on a spreadsheet.

(Disc, I understand to an extent, because Disc crits are generally more useful than other specs'. And monks don't really have any good stats after their breakpoints. But everyone else? Crit is silly even if it gives you more healing on a spreadsheet.)
Reply Quote
Having heals when you really need it is all well and good, of course...but if "when you really need it" boils down to "when the other healers can't do their jobs anymore" that's kinda cruddy.

My fellow healers are doing their best to prevent the very situation we're alluding to. Am I supposed to tell them to not bother struggling to keep everyone at a comfortable and stable level of health so that I have more opportunity to help out and they don't have to burn away their mana? Am I supposed to just let them handle the bulk of the overall healing and act as their backup just in case something goes wrong?

I don't want to be a safety net. I want to contribute outside of 3 minute CDs and "clinch" situations. I want to be a good and reliable healer all the time, not a fantastic healer when the !@#$ completely hits the fan and mediocre otherwise. I'm trying my best all the time, I want to be at my best all the time.

I realize that we are the most reactive of all healing classes. That is our nature and I'm not trying to fight that, but I don't want to lean quite so heavily on my teammates for the majority of the encounter. I don't want to make them feel like they're having to work twice as hard while I wait for them to make a mistake/go OOM so I can swoop in with Deep Healing to fix it. Since outside of that dire emergency, I heal like a wet noodle by comparison. And apparently they feel the pressure.

Anyway I'm already the first on the chopping block for fights that we have to 2 heal and it's a pretty bad feeling, since I really love to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay. Where does resurgence go in all this? If we're dropping spirit for a heavy int/mastery build, where are we getting the regeneration to sustain this play style?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]