Resto Sham: Experimenting with Stat Priority

100 Orc Shaman
HC
Okay. Where does resurgence go in all this? If we're dropping spirit for a heavy int/mastery build, where are we getting the regeneration to sustain this play style?

You sustain it because you use heals when they're needed and they're much more powerful. Any low spirit build you're going to need smart heal choices, and the stance of mastery is there when you need it still stands.
Edited by Sensations on 3/31/2013 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
So it goes back to what she was just saying. Resto Shaman is a safety net that heals when the other healer(s) falter for whatever reason. After all, there is rarely a time when there's no damage going out period, and it always needs to be healed up, but Shaman should be healing sparingly and waiting for someone to dip low to heal them. Or for the other healers to be unable to keep everyone's health stable.

I appreciate your input, but if that is indeed what you mean I don't think this is the play style that we're looking for. I have no doubt that it works well for many people, but it seems less than ideal for our current environment.
Edited by Leucen on 3/31/2013 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Shaman
So it goes back to what she was just saying. Resto Shaman is a safety net that heals when the other healer(s) falter for whatever reason. After all, there is rarely a time when there's no damage going out period, and it always needs to be healed up, but Shaman should be healing sparingly and waiting for someone to dip low to heal them. Or for the other healers to be unable to keep everyone's health stable.

I appreciate your input, but if that is indeed what you mean I don't think this is the play style that we're looking for. I have no doubt that it works well for many people, but it seems less than ideal for our current environment.

If I recall correctly (Sen correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way I remember the change back in Cata), the way our mastery works, even if so and so is sitting at 80% HP our mastery still kicks in. Which means at 50% mastery, she is still benefiting from the stat. You don't have to be near death for it to work. You don't completely need to go beyond 50% mastery. Also, our mastery effects ALL of our healing spells.

Mastery is a lot more reliable than crit in this regard. Sure, crit affects Resurgence, but crit/resurgence is also still very RNG based and not as reliable as spirit.

Haste effects our totem ticks, our HoT ticks and, obviously how fast we cast.

In my personal opinion, mastery is a good stat when you are first progressing through new content. But my advice here (again):

Go back to the 50% mastery mark, get your spirit to where you know you'll be comfortable, haste is up to you on this one, then the rest in crit.

If you better explain what you guys are trying to do, it would help out. We really don't have much to go by with the given info. From the given info, it just sounds like you all are lecturing her about her healing (I'm probably totally wrong in this assumption and I apologize if I am).
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/31/2013 11:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
A int/mastery build doesn't fit into the role he/she wants to play as a part of the healing team. Tiberria gave good advice; gain int through flask, food, trinkets. Utilize your socket bonuses with spirit/int or spirit/crit gems.

I also really enjoy Elemental Mastery. In a 10man I wouldn't bother with the extra earth living tick so I'd shoot for the riptide haste cap. Low 2000's can't recall exact amount.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Personally never used crit for overall numbers purposes. Used it more for resurgence than anything. Mastery is fine and all but in the current model of raiding it is a bit lackluster. Everything now is making sure that everyone is topped off for the big hit that is coming.

Crit will let you shy away from spirit stacking.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
A int/mastery build doesn't fit into the role he/she wants to play as a part of the healing team. Tiberria gave good advice; gain int through flask, food, trinkets. Utilize your socket bonuses with spirit/int or spirit/crit gems.

I also really enjoy Elemental Mastery. In a 10man I wouldn't bother with the extra earth living tick so I'd shoot for the riptide haste cap. Low 2000's can't recall exact amount.

This, but you meant healing rain. 2017 is 10% with just raid buff 5%.

I'm always torn about ELW... the extra tick only does something if people are still damaged 15 seconds after the damage events (your cast time + time before last tick)... or longer potentially with HR. I've always taken it for 25's, but I've always kinda figured it was pointless if the hot was being refreshed or if damage stops happening within 10-15 seconds of it starting. Or if HR is just kinda weak on that fight.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
but I've always kinda figured it was pointless if the hot was being refreshed or if damage stops happening within 10-15 seconds of it starting

It's typical 70% overhealing is pretty telling.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
If we're dropping spirit for a heavy int/mastery build

You don't need to be dropping spirit to select mastery ahead of crit.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I don't want to be a safety net. I want to contribute outside of 3 minute CDs and "clinch" situations. I want to be a good and reliable healer all the time, not a fantastic healer when the !@#$ completely hits the fan and mediocre otherwise. I'm trying my best all the time, I want to be at my best all the time.

Resto Shamans are a safety net. While we do not generaly top meters alongside a priest or pally (though if played well, it should be competative), there are enough situations inside of ToT normal even where tidlewaves+healing wave+deep healing are raid savers. Shamans have their purpose, a very important one in that regard.
Edited by Getonmylvl on 4/1/2013 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

As Juju stated I don't think you have a firm grasp on how Shammy Mastery works. It's active whether our target is at 90% or at 10%. The lower the health the bigger the heal but there's no reason why she or any Shammy should be sparing with their heals and waiting around till someone's near death. That is the exact situation all healers want to avoid and a Shammy is no different. The difference is that a Shammy will spark that big heal at 10% where a Priest's GH (for example) is always going to heal for the same ball park amount.

Reading back to one of her early posts it almost looks like a trust issue between the three healers. The other two are blowing through their mana while she isn't necessarily being given tons to do and that coupled with absorbs from both classes is leaving her feeling useless.

I haven't healed recently raid wise on this Shammy but I have in the past including spread fights. The only time I haven't trusted my healing partner is when they proved to me that they couldn't handle what we were doing, i.e. blowing through their mana with repeated big fast heals, healing when unnecessary, not having mana to heal AoE raid damage etc. It's not a fun situation to be in and you start feeling like you are solo healing it, especially when you are doing more then double the percentage (not HPS but actual percentage) of your healing partner.

I suppose the questions that are raised about your raid team are this:

Is this new content and new boss fights where everyone is still getting used to the pulses of damage?

Are the pulses of damage predictable or sporadic and if the later is that what is supposed to be happening?

Are the other two healers feeling like they have to heal so much because they honestly do, or because they feel a loss of control and don't feel like they can rely on the third or even each other to help?

On top of that it's important to understand what absorbs do to certain healing classes. You're comparing a class that's reactionary to classes with absorbs which mitigate incoming damage. It seems like you've already dismissed having a Shammy at all instead of looking at their strengths and what they bring, especially with SL, MTT and HST. There's no way for any of us on the forums to really get a good view of what's happening without seeing a raid attempt in progress or viewing the logs - otherwise we're just shooting in the dark.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Shaman
There's also a different solution to the OP's problem: work with her weakness on a fight to fight basis.

Know the fight is going to have a lot of spread damage? Maybe put her on tank healing duty (yes, I know tank healing duty is boring, but that just means that you don't have to sit her out on certain fights). She can pop her HTT on phases that it's needed.

Know the fight is going to have stacked damage? Put her on raid healing duty.

This is what I do when I know I'm going to be using 3 healers: I work with both the strengths and weaknesses. I don't sit there on my disc priest and decide I'm carrying the shaman or give him any reason to think that. I try to find ways to help him out instead of getting him needlessly stressed out.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/1/2013 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
There's also a different solution to the OP's problem: work with her weakness on a fight to fight basis.

Know the fight is going to have a lot of spread damage? Maybe put her on tank healing duty (yes, I know tank healing duty is boring, but that just means that you don't have to sit her out on certain fights). She can pop her HTT on phases that it's needed.

Know the fight is going to have stacked damage? Put her on raid healing duty.

This is what I do when I know I'm going to be using 3 healers: I work with both the strengths and weaknesses. I don't sit there on my disc priest and decide I'm carrying the shaman or give him any reason to think that. I try to find ways to help him out instead of getting him needlessly stressed out.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that and can in the long run greatly help the raid in their progression. As I said earlier a huge part is trust and as you pointed out communication also. There's nothing wrong with different assignments on different bosses and knowing how to play with the strength's and weaknesses of each healer to not only let them shine but to ensure a raid's success.

As an example - as a Pally tank back in T11 (probably the last tier I tanked with clear assignments tank wise) I was good picking up adds. Did I really want to be the one running around with all the adds on Mal? No, it wasn't always easy and sometimes stressful but I had really good tools to allow me to do that. Whereas on Chim I was the MT as I was able to survive a Double Attack with breaks on me in case the worse happened and the OT died.

Giving assignments on fights not only helps things run smoother and plays to each person's strengths but it also provides a feeling of confidence and security to know what you are responsible for.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/02/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Kuwilei
Any particular add-ons or settings you might suggest to help keep up with Totemic Recall?

Weak Auras is godsend
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]