Tell me, how to judge someone performance?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lag
Long story, TLDR below
Basicly what I do is go check throughly some logs. But to save some time, I only look some samples from the rank and probably look for it despite of the gap between ranked healer/dps to my raid member.

I remember that I've used some sort of raidbots epeen comparation to compare 'Where am I now?' percentile, I've seen my raider on below 10 percentile and near 50, some above but mostly low percentile. I personally never go below 50 percentile, not carried by gear since I never got any gear outside of LFR and coin, bad luck anyway!. But the core problem is, this comparation really depends on the gear, especially in the 2nd patch like this where gear gap is huge enough and might eclipse the 'skill' difference.

However, I encounter some of the basic problem when people dropping their 4 pc T14 which cut their output both in dps and hps. This kind of thing need to be look in log but not all people understand 'what log can do' unfortunately. For example, number of holy shock/penance or whatever skill that reduced by wearer if 4 PC T14 most likely show a difference of # in log in the same range of time compare to those who doesn't wear it.

TLDR.

So, is it a good thing if I tell people their percentile based on epeen bots comparation?How do you judge your raider performance outside of not standing in fire?
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
Remember that Epeen bot does not care how well or poorly geared a player is, it's comparing your raiders to some of the best geared players on the planet, as well as to those at the same gear level.

Generally a better read on things is to pull logs of a high performing member of the same class, on the same boss, on a fight of similar length, and compare spell usage.

Particularly for healers, don't just compare spell usage, compare overhealing %... When you find a spell that your healer is getting an excessive amount of overhealing with, far more than their more geared/skilled counter part, or a CD that's not being used, or only rarely, that's a time to go and talk to your healer about spell usage.

For DPS, make sure that the ratios of their spell usage is reasonably close to the high performing character, some discrepancy is a normal product of gear differences, a large one is a potential issue, also make sure that they are using THEIR CDs a reasonable number of times in the fight, accounting for CD resets.

Look over EVERYONE'S damage taken, again, compare to a high performing member of their class... make sure you know which damage in a fight is avoidable and which is not, and what parts of the unavoidable stuff your raiders should be using personal CDs for, then make sure they WERE using those CDs, and that they are taking comparable amounts of the avoidable stuff.

For tanks... ALL of the above is important... yes including the healing parts. Most tank classes currently provide important raid CDs and extra healing for them selves, or even your raid as a whole at this point... a paladin tank can effectively be an entire extra healer on some fights.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lag
04/02/2013 04:59 AMPosted by Chatte
Generally a better read on things is to pull logs of a high performing member of the same class, on the same boss, on a fight of similar length, and compare spell usage.

as I expected, that still the best comparation I can find but to find that similarity upon tons of logs is not an easy task to do:(
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
Actually it's very easy. First you start by making logs, of all of your raids, you can find guilds on WoL explaining how to set that up.

Then you look to see how long your fight was.

The you open a new page to the front page of WoL, and, if for instance you were evaluating holy paladins on Jin'rokh, you would go to rankings->jinrokh->holy paladins.

Say your fight was fairly long just over the 5 minute mark, you can then look down the right hand side of the listings until you reach a fight of that length... on the 2nd page is a 5 minute 12 second parse. You can then go to that parse, go to the healing by spell and buffs cast for that paladin, and compare them to your own from your own raid.

Short and simple.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
World of Logs, recount will help the dps but check overall data if you want to know from start to finish of a raid, if you want to know just trash or specific fights then on those fights check the current fight info. But really, you can also find other ways to judge someone's performance, you just have to find the way that works for you the best. and the one you can understand the best.,
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]