MPPM: Spectral Porcupette

Community Manager
As if you needed another reason to spend time on the Isle of Giants...

This week we're featuring the Spectral Porcupette! How many of you have been able to farm up enough Giant Dinosaur Bones to earn this lil' feller? And if you have this pet, share with us how it fares in Pet Battles.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I was so happy when I got him. I'm leveling him next. :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Some players are quitting on this challenge i found out myself. But no pet is too challenging or difficult for me to conquer. Btw i love this pet so worth the grind. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Where do you pick up the quest? Or do you just harvest the bones then it shows up?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
The obvious ability combo of Spectral Strike + Spectral Spine seems underwhelming when compared to something like Darkness + Nocturnal Strike. 50% chance to blind is a coin flip as to whether you have to swap the pet next turn or not.

The Spirit Spikes ability has limited usefulness. As a damage shield, only lasting one turn isn't very useful. As a damage return, the biggest gain to be had would be vs a multi-attack like Stampede - but it absorbs the damage without retaliating. If that were fixed so that even absorbed attacks generated retaliation it would be nice. Two turns would be even better.

Not sure how or why it ended up on the isle of giants. Really should've been a dino pet.

Love the look, though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I actually do need another reason to be there. All I've seen so far is a world boss that's way above my raiding capacity right now (and computer capacity, hello 2 FPS during Gal and Sha!), and that you need -thousands- of bones by killing 2m health elites one at a time.

Yeah, I'd like another reason to go there, pls. ._.

EDIT: And stop killing me in Stormwind! I just want a hug! >:c
Edited by Shumi on 3/29/2013 4:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I can't bring myself to farm 999 bones.

Doing it in a party is pointless because the bones aren't shared. You go faster soloing the mini-dinos for 9-10 bones each than you do in a group of 5 killing the big dinos for 30-40 bones, considering you need to kill 5 of them to get everyone the same amount of bones.

And honestly, taking ~3 minutes per dino for 9-10 bones just isn't worth it.
Edited by Reinhilde on 3/29/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly I'd have to go with everything Quirk above me said. As to it being on the isle I found a little personal back story of it simply being found there as.. one of the pet bags washed ashore on the "forgotten isle" of giants. I still stick to other magical pets though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Doing it in a party is pointless because the bones aren't shared. You go faster soloing the mini-dinos for 9-10 bones each than you do in a group of 5 killing the big dinos for 30-40 bones, considering you need to kill 5 of them to get everyone the same amount of bones.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks the Isle of Giants is just a massive grindfest that's not worth it. :T Rather presumptuous to say we've got so many reasons to go to the Isle of Giants, eh, Crithto?
Edited by Shumi on 3/29/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks the Isle of Giants is just a massive grindfest that's not worth it. :T Rather presumptuous to say we've got so many reasons to go to the Isle of Giants, eh, Crithto?

Eh, there are plenty of reasons *if you are interested*. Not so much, if not. The raptor eggs for the mounts, the zandalari raptor pets, the hunter taming book (if applicable; also the tameable dinosaurs), Oondasta, the white raptor from 9999 bones, and of course the Spectral Porcupette. 5.3 seems to be adding a direhorn baby pet to the Isle as well.

Plus, Jurassic Park is cool! :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I have 5225 bones, all 3 egg mounts...white raptor, you will be mine first. then i'll get this pet.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I waited for a good price on the AH and picked up the pet that way. I might want the mount someday, so I'll save my small stash of bones for that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Eh, there are plenty of reasons *if you are interested*. Not so much, if not. The raptor eggs for the mounts, the zandalari raptor pets, the hunter taming book (if applicable; also the tameable dinosaurs), Oondasta, the white raptor from 9999 bones, and of course the Spectral Porcupette. 5.3 seems to be adding a direhorn baby pet to the Isle as well.

Plus, Jurassic Park is cool! :P

I still maintain the idea that it requires much more grinding than the reward is worth.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
My guild was bored one night so we spent time to kill the big guys and got me the pet. Best I could do solo was the 7 bone dino :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Have enough, but want the mount instead of starting over
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Or you just buy it for 2k off someone like I did. Every pet will have it's utility, there isn't one specific pet I will say I constantly use(except for maybe my S/S breed Darkmoon Rabbit, but...that dodge...that burrow...that speed, too spooky), but Porcupette was just another one to bumrush to 25 to get closer to Singing Cricket(yet another Cricket as if we don't have enough right???)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Porcupette was just another one to bumrush to 25 to get closer to Singing Cricket(yet another Cricket as if we don't have enough right???)

I couldn't give two flips about the silly cricket; I just want the achievement because it's... y'know... there. It's like once you get past thirty or so 25s you can't not go for it.

Anywho, I've already farmed the bones for two Spectral Porcupettes, the first for my boyfriend and the second for me. I leveled mine, but then I traded it away for other pets I wanted, so I'm working on farming up my third now.

I don't think it's anything particularly special in battle, but I will say that it was probably the easiest lowbie pet to powerlevel, simply because he could throw up his two-hit shield and allow my Feline Familiar a turn to switch in and get Stoneskin up without taking a hit.

*shrug*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I finally got enough bones to buy the porcupine last night. I immediately put it on the AH and made 8k gold. 8k gold for around a week of bone farming seems inefficient. But hey that's 8k more than I had.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I dont have it, but there are pets with similar moves. What would you guys group him with as a team? Powerball seems like a really awesome ability, but I never used a pet like that before.

Any tips?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I set up a guild event to farm some bones. I hope a few of my guildies want the porcupine.... I want the ugly white raptor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]