Frost mage question

100 Gnome Mage
Thank you for the replies in advance...

I've always been an Arcane mage.. recently I switched to frost. The spec is fine but that darn lil pet is always in my way. Is there a way to sacrifice the pet and do more damage?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
If only.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Ayuh, roll Warlock. ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Thank you for the replies in advance...

I've always been an Arcane mage.. recently I switched to frost. The spec is fine but that darn lil pet is always in my way. Is there a way to sacrifice the pet and do more damage?

There is a way to make him bigger and do more damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
^His damage is the same when he's bigger. It's just that he can cast and move, but the DPS improvement is negligible really. On many fights he can be parked in one place and left there till the fight ends.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Considering the only real purpose of the pet is the Freeze spell, which is useless on bosses, I'm not entirely sure why it is still in the game. The pet can't tank, and you can't do anything with it other than freeze.
What they need, is a new talent that allows us to get rid of the damn thing...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
^It's still important for PvPing mages though as it's a large, long range AoE root that generates FoF charges. And it's helpful for mages who are questing/leveling, since the overwhelming majority of regular dungeon/field mobs can be hit with Freeze.

What we need is a new spell to make the pet more interactive in PvE where it really matters - raid boss encounters. Removing Water Elemental all together will do more harm than good, unless they give Frost Mages Freeze and increase the spell power of some spells to compensate for no Waterbolt.

I think it'd be better if the pet could gain a short term DPS boost depending on something the mage did (for example, on every 3rd FoF you use) or if it got some spell that would compensate for it not being able to generate FoF via Freeze on bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What we need is a new spell to make the pet more interactive in PvE where it really matters - raid boss encounters. Removing Water Elemental all together will do more harm than good, unless they give Frost Mages Freeze and increase the spell power of some spells to compensate for no Waterbolt

I'm all for them giving frost mages Freeze as a standard spell. As you said, it is very useful on trash, pvp or leveling. As far as damage compensation, it wouldn't need that much. Currently on average, my pet is doing between 8-12k dps, so mages would only need a slight buff (maybe 5% to bombs or something).
My main issue with the pet is that, glyphed or not, it's this massive useless waste of space that follows you around getting in your way. A few times I've had healers go to use MO macros only to heal my pet. Perhaps if it didn't feel the need to be no more than 2mm away from me at all times, but then telling him to "say over there" often results in it standing in crap and dying before I notice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]