Want to try a DPS class. Please help me :)

55 Undead Death Knight
Hi, I've played WoW since BC. I've always healed in 5 mans and raids. I've messed around on DPS alts, but nothing serious because I seem bad at it except for questing.

What I would like to find is a DPS class that is pretty easy to raid with for a beginner. One of the main problems that I find is when DPS'ing you have to move around a lot (which is quite a few fights in MoP it seems). I would like a class with a fairly easy rotation to follow - even when things get tough.

I'm not picky if it's melee or ranged. Does any one have suggestions for a newbie DPS please? :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I would like a class with a fairly easy rotation to follow - even when things get tough.

I'd probably recommend a ranged, then. When things get hectic, I find it much more difficult at melee than at ranged. As for as ranged goes, Ele shaman have a very easy rotation. Locks / Hunters aren't as easy, but they do have near-100% mobility, so it'd help you out a lot for the movement fights.

If you did want to go melee, frost DKs are quite simple to learn. I personally don't find monks to be too challenging, but they are quite spammy, so I could see it getting hectic during tense situations for a new DPSer.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Don't you have to be behind the target all of the time to use your abilities as a rogue? It would seem that it would be easy to lose a lot of dps by being out of position if so =\

DK might be nice...I'm afraid if I try Shaman, I'll get stuck back in the healer role lol xD
Reply Quote
Nah, Assassination has no positional requirements. Only abilities that do (that are at least somewhat relavent in DPS) are Garrote, Ambush, and Backstab. And since no one plays Sub, you don't have to worry about it at all.

people do play sub
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd second mut rogue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Nah, Assassination has no positional requirements. Only abilities that do (that are at least somewhat relavent in DPS) are Garrote, Ambush, and Backstab. And since no one plays Sub, you don't have to worry about it at all.

Garrote no longer has a positional requirement
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd go with Shaman..

Ele has a relatively easy rotation, does decent DPS in raids (not heroics, but entry level raids) and has massive AOE dmg right now which isn't terrible. Good ele shamans can pump out competitive damage so the ceiling is there if you ever choose to aim that high.

On the flip side of the coin, in case you realize that you're bad at it, or just plain, don't enjoy it - you can always go heals and do the part you still enjoy very much. :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Assassination Rogue is very easy to level, very strong, and fairly simplistic to play.

If you want a ranged, Hunters or Elemental Shaman are both good options. Mobile and easier to learn the basics of.
Reply Quote
78 Blood Elf Rogue
I'd pick any pure, I healed for a while for my guild on a resto shaman and if you dps with a toon that has an alternate role (esp healer if that is your background) you yourself will be tempted to switch back to healing when things get rough.

Hunter/Lock/Rogue/Mage for you would be my suggestion (and actually the order I'd suggest based on my preferences).
Edited by Finneus on 4/3/2013 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Death Knight
Destro locks are easy and put out nice numbers.

Afflic is more complicated to start but can also put out nice numbers.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
'd pick any pure, I healed for a while for my guild on a resto shaman and if you dps with a toon that has an alternate role (esp healer if that is your background) you yourself will be tempted to switch back to healing when things get rough.

^ This. Exactly!

I have an 85 Warlock. Way too complicated >.<

Sounds like rogue or DK would be great choices. I haven't seen many rogues in raids lately, so I could probably get a spot somewhere hehe.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Don't you have to be behind the target all of the time to use your abilities as a rogue? It would seem that it would be easy to lose a lot of dps by being out of position if so =\

As a rogue only sub has a really strict positional requirement BUT all melee should be behind the boss whenever possible because of other mechanics. It is a noticeable difference in dps.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Any melee should be behind the boss at every moment possible. That's just something melee have to deal with, and all melee will have dps loss if they are not behind the boss.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Any melee should be behind the boss at every moment possible. That's just something melee have to deal with, and all melee will have dps loss if they are not behind the boss.

Would a ranged class be easier to start with then?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Assassination Rogue is very easy to level, very strong, and fairly simplistic to play.

If you want a ranged, Hunters or Elemental Shaman are both good options. Mobile and easier to learn the basics of.

LOL. I laugh because you probably haven't leveled a rogue ever. While it is a lot easier than it used to be, rogue is still the worst class to level out there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
What bullettime said; assassination, or elemental / hunter.

I actually find pve as assassination to be fairly relaxing since you aren't spamming stuff. I also like poisons. Someone did the math on time spent doing nothing (i.e. waiting for resources or things to come off cooldown) and assassination spends the most time doing nothing, which makes it a great spec for learning how to play.

You seem worried about positioning and I think assassination would be perfect for you since you'll have plenty of time to look at the game :]

Also, shuriken toss and fan of knives are super fun!

LOL. I laugh because you probably haven't leveled a rogue ever. While it is a lot easier than it used to be, rogue is still the worst class to level out there.

You say this as if to imply that leveling a rogue is bad. I'm also certain that you haven't done much leveling from 85-90 on other classes if you think anyone is bad or that rogues are even the worst.
Edited by Swampdonkeys on 4/3/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Thanks Swampdonkeys. That is good to hear. I'll give the rogue a shot :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shadow

Always Shadow
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]