Restoration Shaman Spread Healing Ideas

90 Blood Elf Priest
I believe it was Kaels (not 100% sure) that stated a CH on 4 targets with riptide up was about as effective as a PoH that only hit 2 targets.

With Riptide and the 20% buff, I think it's now almost as good as PoH on 3 targets. That's still not anything to write home about, but it's definitely worth casting if it's not going to overheal or break mid-chain or cause Riptide to overheal a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The "problem" is that what we have really is not enough

Perhaps you need to re-read what Practical wrote. He blockquoted somebody suggesting making CH an instant cast and then said:

I don't think people's problems have to deal with how fast/instant Chain Heal is or is not. I. I think it has something to deal with more along the lines of them not feeling like what they have isn't enough.

Amusingly, his second sentence is almost literally the same thing you just said.

And both of you are correct. There is a problem with CH. Even after the buff it isn't enough.

All Practical was saying was that he didn't think most people were looking to solve the problem by essentially adding a weak, short-ranged Circle of Healing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
A question to resto shamans:

If you could get a throughput buff, but in exchange, your raid cooldown utility was nerfed, would you want that trade-off?

I know it might be difficult to answer that question without any hard numbers, but you get the idea.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/09/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Practical
Then, make tidal waves also make chain heal instant cast IF AND ONLY IF used with TWO stacks of Tidal waves.

I don't think people's problems have to deal with how fast/instant Chain Heal is or is not. I think it has something to deal with more along the lines of them not feeling like what they have isn't enough.

Do you know how our mastery works?

Chain Heal takes ages to cast, most other healers have form of instant AE healing. Because of this, our mastery does not work well with CH unless it's the initial one and the Shaman is pre-casting it in situations where the Shaman is able to stand still or have SWG active. The overall HPS that COULD be provided by CH is indirectly reduced because of these reasons.

Casting Riptide gives us a buff to the cast time of Greater Healing Wave for this very reason alone and is why GHW does poor healing outside of it's benefit from our mastery.

You could reduce the cast time, mana cost, and effectiveness of CH by 30% and it would be a more overall buff to CH in most situations than that of just leaving the cast time as is and giving it the 20% base throughput buff.

Sure, the distance is a big problem, but it's not the core issue on why CH has poor HPS.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HC
04/12/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Kuwilei
The "problem" is that what we have really is not enough. People suggest spread healing fix (chain heal buff makes perfect sense) and Practical tries to somehow devalue the idea. It was in no way constructive, and really just plain incorrect.

Dude did you even read the po-

Wait nvm Taymage already has it under control:

Amusingly, his second sentence is almost literally the same thing you just said.

And both of you are correct. There is a problem with CH. Even after the buff it isn't enough.

All Practical was saying was that he didn't think most people were looking to solve the problem by essentially adding a weak, short-ranged Circle of Healing.

Edit: Edited my first post because I added an extra word there that may have confused people...?
Edited by Practical on 4/12/2013 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think the solution would be fairly simple.
1. Make the jump range increase from Glyph of Chaining baseline.
2. Change the Glyph of Chaining to make Chain Heal instant cast, with 25% increased healing and mana cost but have a 6 second CD.

There is no good reason not to make the jump range baseline. Doing so would have little to no effect in 25 man, because you can almost always hit 4 targets with CH when using it is appropriate. The change would only affect 10 man, and all it would do is make it so that a core element of the Shaman toolkit also works effectively in 10 mans. As has been mentioned repeatedly, CH will never be spammed to the level it was pre-Cata, because we have a lot more spells and a lot more rotational abilities that get used on CD now than we did in Wrath and earlier. As long as CH doesn't get close to ULE-HR/RT/HST/Totemic Recall of HST/MTT/HTT, etc in terms of priority, no competent Shaman is going to "spam it". It will be a gap filler to be used in between those other CD limited abilities when we want to AoE heal. However, isn't that the intended purpose of the spell? If there is AoE damage to heal, does it really make logical sense that CH is so weak that you are looking to whack a mole single target heal?

As far as my revised Glyph suggestion, it would give us the option to have that instant cast/spread healing cooldown based spell to help with spread healing, at the cost of some really tough tradeoffs. It would let us strategically decide on a per fight basis which to use based on fight mechanics and personal preferences/play style, while helping to fill in that perceived gap in the Shaman arsenal on fights where CH is terrible
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/12/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Kuwilei
If there is AoE damage to heal, does it really make logical sense that CH is so weak that you are looking to whack a mole single target heal?

The wierd thing about this is Chain Heal and Riptide both provide Tidal Waves. The most efficient way to use them is theoretically to consume the TW buffs, but this sort of conflicts with how Riptide buffs Chain Heal.

This leads to Riptide, consume both TW, Chain Heal target with Riptide, consumbe both TW, so on and so forth, allowing for HST and encounter management. A part of me likes the complexity, a part of me feels it's very convoluted and fights itself. It makes sense to spam an AoE to some degree, but the benefit of TW forces us to play whack a mole with single target heals.

Interesting.

Except Tidal Waves is solely a single target healing buff, so I don't think that it is necessarily inefficient/illogical to just not consume Tidal Waves buffs when you are trying to raid heal over single target heal. The other side of the argument is that we are designed around using Tidal Waves and single target heals as part of our AoE healing toolkit, but that makes even less sense.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So, overall, I am pretty angry.

Reasons: I heal with a Disc priest and a paladin. Guess how I stack against them when I am trying REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hard? Not very.

I have NO chance to heal AT ALL.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1279670-Raid-Healer-Composition-Disc-or-Resto-Shaman?p=20621143#post20621143
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416263494
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1241307-5-2-Shaman-changes

Just a few posts I found....

I may as well just DPS, frankly. My mastery doesn't proc, my crits don't matter due to over healing, and my haste is just a mana drain. I've been SUPER flexible when it comes to optimism. Yet, I am lagging behind dramatically. Is there a reason for this?

***3 year healing shaman*** along with 2 extra years of healing with a priest/druid

Is this just the norm? Should I just quit/reroll to be viable, except for crunch situations?

Anything would be helpful.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]