TWP - Resto Druid Roundtable #3

90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Hello Trees!

As you may have heard on our last show, we're starting our series of Roundtable discussions up again. The first one will be held live at 12pm PST on Sunday, April 14th. Our first spec this time will be Restoration. Who will be on the panel?

• Arielle - Host and Moderator
  • Jarre - Blogger at Rank 4 Healing Touch. Heroic 25m Raider.
  • Hamlet - <Druid Trainer>, Author of Treecalcs.
  • Sodah - 12 time Resto Druid Gladiator.
  • Jasyla - Blogger at Cannot be Tamed. 25m Raider.

As before we will talk about the current state of Resto Druids, what the panelists would like to see changed, talents, glyphs, and tactics to use in both PvP and PvE. As always we'll close with an open Q&A session with questions submitted by the community.

Do you have a question you'd like to have the panelists discuss on the show? Post it below!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Recently I began using my OS (resto) to heal some of the more healing intensive fights in Throne of Thunder for my guild's progression. What kind of advice can you provide for Balance Druids who are healing using gear that is gemmed, enchanted, and reforged for Balance?

Specific areas that I am interested in are mana management, cooldown management, talents, etc., and any tips to ensure I am pulling my own weight when I use my OS to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
How does the panel approach the differences between 25m/10m raiding in terms of theory-crafting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How to fight sniping by paladins/priests.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
For PVE:
How have the new Wild Mushrooms performed in TOT thus far? (effectiveness, like...are they usable? are they providing massive aoe healing as they were intended?) Which fights do you think provide the most effective usage of mushrooms? -- Worst?

For PvP:
Do you think it's worth it to create a "retreat to my mushrooms" patch? 'Would it be/has it been' a viable safety net of sorts? Have you tried Wild Charge this patch (being able to 'intervene' to your mushrooms then detonate them seems like a neat trick)?

For Hamlet:
What is your opinion on Dream of Cenarius across "all" speccs?
Edited by Cyous on 4/10/2013 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I love these. :) Thank you all for doing this.

PvE: I raid 25 mans (my guild is 3/13 heroic) and I feel like gemming for more throughput. Which is better to gem for? Mastery or Intellect? I've heard people go back and forth arguing about which is better but never really got an answer.

I also wanted to know is it worth still using SoTF instead of Incarnation when breaking 4p Tier 14?

Edit: Had another question. :P
Edited by Eevee on 4/14/2013 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
PvE: Do you guys find any of the ToT trinkets to be better than 496 Spirit of the Suns? Or any of them to be good in general? From what I was seeing the only one that is better than even the DMF trinket is Horridon's, but even it doesn't compare to SotS. (Note even a couple of the heroic ones seem kind of bad, except for the pure static stat increase)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
^
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Up again
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
PvE: The disparity between 25 and 10 man raids is readily apparent with a lot of hard core progression guilds opting to not take resto druids (Blood Legion as one example). Even in 10 mans, I don't believe raids would necessarily pick a druid over over other classes where the opportunity presents itself since we don't really offer anything unique anymore.

What type of changes do you think are needed to address the inadequacies with our tool-kit and for us to be really competitive in the current raiding arena?

Do you believe that Blizzard will continue it's band-aid approach in regard to our tool-kit (WM & 10% buff ) or actually address some of our real concerns such as

Efflorescence's range
Nourish
Healing Touch
WG still weak compared to other classes' AOE healing.
WM being clunky and mainly limited to stacking situations
Hots consistently absorbed and pushed into OH
Our designation as typically raid healers while actually being mediocre at both tank and raid healing compared to say Palladins and Disc priests.

So if you really had Blizzard's ear, could you lay out a concise list of such changes and most important, those that might actually be addressed by Ghost Crawler?

Our resto druid community seems very good at down playing inadequacies. Do you think this has any bearing on Blizzard's non action over the years?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Start in a couple hours, make sure to get your Qs in!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
As previously stated by Moo, the disparity between 25s and 10s is very apparent for Rdruids. Druids are generally a more throughput class and are forced to blanket raids with hots. In 25s there is very little time for hots to actually ticks as other healers use "burst aoe" heals to top the raid quickly (Obviously good fights for us are ones such as Garalon and Heroic Will of the Emperor for T14 where constant damage is coming out.) For T15, Blizzard has tried to essentially counter this problem by giving druids the new and "enhanced" Wild Mushrooms.

Personally I feel as though these can be somewhat useless on some fights, especially those that require a lot of movement. Sure, with the T15 4-set, shrooms will stack much more quickly, however, will the healing stack quickly enough to get the full benefit from shrooms during movement intensive fights? Haven't seen a lot of input, would be great to hear your personal perspectives as the T14 4-set increase in healing to WG via sotf seems like a large "burst heal" in itself. (The increase to ticks from WG hots is something i'm reluctant to give up until the T15 4-set)

Lastly, would an increase to druid mana regen help us to an extent? Rdruid healing is essentially "blanketing" the raid before incoming burst damage and then continuing this throughout the rest of the damage. From what i've seen, most druids still gem straight spirit in order to increase the blanketing they can do before running oom. On the other hand it seems like many other healing classes are actually able to go for intellect as they've found a comfortable level of regen. I mean, where would that point ever come for Rdruids?

Just a few things i'd like to get your all's personal takes on from a PVE perspective!

Thank you all for your time and dedicated devotion to the tree community! :)
Edited by Reclaimed on 4/14/2013 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This start yet? If so where's can we see the stream at?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I forgot to ask this

This is the second time that I can recall that keeping one's previous tier is advantageous (excluding trinkets for the discussion).

Why do you think Blizzard fails in this regard so consistently in regards to our set-bonuses? Take our 2pc t14. It accounts roughly for 4k mp5. Considering most 25m Rdruids are going against the grain and stacking spirit it seems as if the developers don't have anyone who actually plays our class so as to avoid pushing us to play with our hands tied behind our backs right out of the gate. Would you agree?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Considering most 25m Rdruids are going against the grain and stacking spirit it seems as if the developers don't have anyone who actually plays our class so as to avoid pushing us to play with our hands tied behind our backs right out of the gate

Do you mean the 300% mana pool thing? or am i wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It started. http://www.twitch.tv/teamwafflepodcast is where to watch it live. =)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Heard you guys say during the T4 discussion about Incarnation being used as a "mana CD". I haven't used it since Cata (aka I haven't used it at all), and last I checked it only gave more Lifeblooms which yields more OoC procs, which isn't really mana gained but mana saved. Is that the way to understand Incarnation as a "mana" CD?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This was one hell of a discussion. Learned a lot by listening to everyone's POV and theory behind specific ideas. Knowing why something is better or worse, opposed to be told what is better or worse, is a great way to inform players for questions they may have in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Our resto druid community seems very good at down playing inadequacies. Do you think this has any bearing on Blizzard's non action over the years?

Moophious is right on.
I've been puzzled by the almost trollish insistence by some resto druids that we are "fine".
Clearly we are far from "fine"
According to raidbots we are last
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/#0000000000000000000000000000111111
And according to worldoflogs, resto druids are all but absent in the top ten rank lists
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/hps/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
According to raidbots we are last
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/#0000000000000000000000000000111111
And according to worldoflogs, resto druids are all but absent in the top ten rank lists
http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/hps/

Meters matter bro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]