10 man 3 healer class to take

95 Undead Monk
So right now my guild runs resto shaman , resto druid and mw monk for a our 10 man group and I'm just wondering if that is a good idea ? Would it be better to swap out me as a mw for say pally or priest?
Reply Quote
So right now my guild runs resto shaman , resto druid and mw monk for a our 10 man group and I'm just wondering if that is a good idea ? Would it be better to swap out me as a mw for say pally or priest?

If it's working, why would you change? If you are wanting to play a paladin or priest.. then go for it, but otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The only reason I can think of for needing to change is so that the druid and monk aren't constantly fighting over the Int leather.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We are running the same exact comp and it doesn't seem like an issue. Heroics paladins come in more handy will have to say.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Our raid team is running a very similar comp, except our monk is an off-healer and rolls dps most of the time. So far we've been two healing most of the fights with resto druid and shaman. Tortus is the first fight we've 3 healed with the monk because of the pure amount of damage output. While the combo is fine, and everyone else that has posted is right "If it ain't broken, why fix it?", but it can also be a weaker combo just because of current healing balance. Shamans have been ranking a little lower than in the previous patch, but druids are ranking higher, and monks seem to be doing pretty good, but also seem to be fight dependent (I don't play a monk at endgame yet, so I may be mistaken on this observation). Here are the big benefits I've noticed from this comp (and these are all just based on experience from my guild):

1.) Lots of big cooldowns. With druid tranq, shaman totems, and monk revival and uplift; this comp has some nice big cooldowns to use. Unlike disc priests and paladins (which don't have the instant big heal cooldowns), this comp has plenty to choose from and spread out over a fight. However, the proactive approach of disc and holy paladins with their bubbles is currently the most powerful (in terms of ranking) however, not as helpful on fights with sudden big bursts of damage (such as Tortus).

2.) Mobility. This composition of healers is seriously one of the most mobile in the game. Druids have long been one of the more mobile healing classes, shamans easily come in second and can even be greater benefit on the move due to Spiritwalker, and monks have a lot of mobility as well. Also, resto druids can Symbiosis the shaman and gain Spiritwalker, and they can become even more powerful mobile healers.

3.) Lust. This is kind of a silly one, but with a shaman the raid is guaranteed a lust *shrug*.

4.) Hots. All three classes depend heavily on their hots, and that's a really helpful thing for healing in this tier. Sometimes there is just a lot of constant raid damage, and having healers that focus on hot healing can be really powerful.

And here are some of the disadvantages:

1.) Missing a disease cleanse. In the Horridon fight this becomes very obvious and very painful. Luckily, our raid has a ret pally, and I (resto druid) was able to put symbiosis on him to gain cleanse to do disease dispells. While in general this is a minor disadvantage, in this tier is is rather obvious.

2.) Lack of tank focus. While this is considered a little less of the norm, this comp is missing a healing class that is more designed for tank heals or big single target. However, a lot of changes have happened to healers over Cata and MoP that have made this disadvantage close to negligible. All three classes have big heals, and bursty big heals at that, to manage tank healing. Also, druids now have Living Seed as a passive to aid in tank healing.

3.) Cooldowns. As was mentioned in the benefits, these classes have huge healing cooldowns to spread out over the fight for burst damage...however, they are cooldowns and sometimes they don't come up fast enough. Unlike disc priests with spirit shell (which is a 1min cooldown), all three classes have cooldowns that are 3min long. Again, this really isn't a huge disadvantage though because...well there are three of you and you should be able to spread them out such that all three can be using their cooldowns multiples times if need be.

4.) Lacking power. I didn't know how to phrase this one, but the truth is that all three of these classes are ranking lower (on average) than disc priests and holy paladins. Shamans especially seem weaker in this patch. All three can be powerful healers, but on average the rankings say these three are some of the weaker healers. Now whether this is accurate or not, I'll leave for another debate, however it has been an observation in my team that this has had an impact. Our shaman has often noted his frustration on being a "weaker" healer than he was in previous patches (and I should make absolutely clear, he's talking class balance and not his personal player skills and abilities). Also, to add insult to injury, we have a blood DK tank (and we all know DKs are OP) that out heals some of our healers. Our blood DK, on more than one occasion, has out healed our monk and come dead even with our shaman in the healing numbers for a night of raiding.

Anyway, those have been my observations on this combo. I'd have to agree with the majority though, if it is working for your team, then there is no need to force people to go and change classes. If you're interesting in trying something new.... *shrug* Bring it up with your raid leader and see what he/she says about the idea.
Reply Quote
92 Troll Druid

A better question is who of the 3 are the main 2 healers? In my group we 2 heal those encounters than can be and take either a shaman or priest as our 3rd (It's me and a pally as main).

So this has bearing because that 3rd healer is at best a filler and that being the case of course a priest/pally can provide more flexibility not to mention major raid /tank CDS over a monk class.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Well if you go pally, then you have all 3 classes that can't do jack for sustained raiddps as a healer (no fistweaving or attonement). Which means, you'll have to have 1 person go dps on fights where the dps check is a little too high (for your gear/skill at that time).

Just something to keep in mind. There are a lot of factors.

(I totally disagree about the disc/pally dealing with burst comment, I've healed tortos 10N with a disc priest and Stomp is pretty pathetic when a disc priest SSh's half and PW:S spams the other half of them.)
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
However, the proactive approach of disc and holy paladins with their bubbles is currently the most powerful (in terms of ranking) however, not as helpful on fights with sudden big bursts of damage (such as Tortus).

This couldn't be further from the truth.

(I totally disagree about the disc/pally dealing with burst comment, I've healed tortos 10N with a disc priest and Stomp is pretty pathetic when a disc priest SSh's half and PW:S spams the other half of them.)

Or when you run with 2 Priests and one casts SS while the other spams PW:S (and then alternate who does what for the next Stomp).

Actually, there are a lot of cool benefits to running 2 Priests in 10man.
Edited by Multicidez on 4/10/2013 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Basically you want to make sure that no healer roll on same armor type AND token.

Now you have both.. 2 rolling on intellect leather, and 2 rolling on protector tokens.

Obviously this doesn't matter if gearing slower is not a problem for your group...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Holy Paly , Disc priest , Resto Shaman best 10m Healing comp.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Holy Paly , Disc priest , Resto Shaman best 10m Healing comp.
Reply Quote
Dps - Assassin rouge, SMF warrior, Demo warlock, Frost mage, Survial hunter
healer - Disc pirest / Resto druid / resto shaman
tanks - Prot pally / brewmaster monk

this would be my dream team
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
switch rdruid w/ hpal and you're golden.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

You really don't like your own class, do you?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
04/15/2013 10:47 PMPosted by Fistlobster

You really don't like your own class, do you?

Why would you think that?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Currently Druids have the highest "on paper" output in the game. If there are no Pallys or Priests to snipe heals away with their bubbles, the druid has the highest output out of any healing class.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Currently Druids have the highest "on paper" output in the game. If there are no Pallys or Priests to snipe heals away with their bubbles, the druid has the highest output out of any healing class.

I believe monks actually beat us there, but not 100% sure. And don't really care that much.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
More important than a comp is the way the healers work together. My guild has run with the same 3 healers for years and we all know how the others will react to similar situations and can even predict when we will use cooldowns.

My heal team is myself (disc/holy depending on fight), a paladin, and a shaman. But for a while I was tanking on my monk and we had a different disc priest in my place. Although we got through the content, the healing always felt disjointed with her healing and things didn't mesh quite as well. I started healing on my monk instead of tanking and that same synergy came back even though I was a completely different class. Last expansion we ran two raids and our second raid was two druid healers and a paladin and that worked equally as well because it was the same people and we knew how to work together.

As long as you don't double up on disc priests in 10s, I really don't think there is a right and wrong comp. Some things may be more "ideal" but anything can work.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
As long as you don't double up on disc priests in 10s

I think this is actually quite a strong comp. But it's more a matter of loss in buffs if you choose to use it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]