10 man 3 healer class to take

90 Draenei Priest
double disc is annoying, and in 10 man it minimizes rapture procs which is essential for mana regeneration as disc. Double disc CAN be done but usually one priest will have more mana problems than the other because of it. Additionally, disc is strongest with preemptive heals and there is only so much predictable damage to be had in an encounter, more than enough for a single disc priest to be able to handle most of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
double disc is annoying, and in 10 man it minimizes rapture procs which is essential for mana regeneration as disc. Double disc CAN be done but usually one priest will have more mana problems than the other because of it. Additionally, disc is strongest with preemptive heals and there is only so much predictable damage to be had in an encounter, more than enough for a single disc priest to be able to handle most of the time.

Atonement says hello
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC

I beg to differ, especially in heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
off topic: double disc is great when one is atonement (heavy haste) and one is heavier mastery. Atonement without glyphed penance can really sustain without needing too much rapture.

which segueways into the main topic... it's more important to have healer synergy than swapping out for others. if your comp is really working well, they won't panic and know how to manage hots and the speed they need to get bars back up. They'll be fine with bars not constantly full. It can really work well. You'd want your shaman to go heavy mastery and tank heal, and helping raid when they go lower than 45%.

But as mentioned before, the greater implication is gear diversity. With Int Leather shared by two players, that can slow them from gearing. (Which I find funny how people keep saying Priest and Pally for healers, when they too share a token and have this problem.). So you'd want to have them use tokens for extra rolls and hope luck is kind.

IMHO, The lack of disease dispel isn't too bad unless you really lack any dispels for Horridon from dps and tanks. (you'd have to lust through that phase and down the minor adds first). But most 10 mans have one door that's more problematic than others.

Still, if you feel a healer change will help you go farther than do it. But if you think it would progress you at the same rate, then the play what you enjoy I think goes a lot further.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
04/17/2013 03:53 AMPosted by Feythylan
(Which I find funny how people keep saying Priest and Pally for healers, when they too share a token and have this problem.)

You can't even come close to avoid having to share tokens though, unless you're only looking at one role within the raid.

You can't actually avoid sharing armour either, but you can get closer.
Edited by Tarski on 4/17/2013 4:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest

I run double Disc 10man. My Spirit is minimal, and I always defer Rapture procs to the other Priest. That being said there are usually plenty of things I can Shield for Rapture procs on any given fight.

As for your comment about preemptive heals, I have no idea if you meant that as a disadvantage but I can assure you double Spirit Shell is pretty awesome in 10man.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1.) Missing a disease cleanse. In the Horridon fight this becomes very obvious and very painful. Luckily, our raid has a ret pally, and I (resto druid) was able to put symbiosis on him to gain cleanse to do disease dispells. While in general this is a minor disadvantage, in this tier is is rather obvious.

This is incorrect. BM and WW Monk detox clears disease by default. MW Internal Medicine makes it clear magical effects as well as disease and poisons. Granted it costs energy for the BM and WW but they can do it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
3.) Cooldowns. As was mentioned in the benefits, these classes have huge healing cooldowns to spread out over the fight for burst damage...however, they are cooldowns and sometimes they don't come up fast enough. Unlike disc priests with spirit shell (which is a 1min cooldown), all three classes have cooldowns that are 3min long. Again, this really isn't a huge disadvantage though because...well there are three of you and you should be able to spread them out such that all three can be using their cooldowns multiples times if need be.

Your resto shammy can focus tank healing, We have ES, GHW, Riptide, HS. Some talents also: Ancestral swiftness and Unleash fury are good for that. and you have 2 tank saves with the monk and the druid.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
As mentioned before, the optimal healing comp for 10m progression is Disc Priest/HPally/Rsham (the RSham goes Ele for 2 heal fights). This actually lends you a fair amount of stack healing strength when it counts, on fights like H Meg and H Qon - and it's obvious how powerful Ele Sham AoE/single target burst can be.

ALSO as mentioned before, this is really only if you're doing like serious serious progression. Just play what you want, honestly; you'll be better at it and enjoy the game more for doing so.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
2.) Lack of tank focus. While this is considered a little less of the norm, this comp is missing a healing class that is more designed for tank heals or big single target. However, a lot of changes have happened to healers over Cata and MoP that have made this disadvantage close to negligible. All three classes have big heals, and bursty big heals at that, to manage tank healing. Also, druids now have Living Seed as a passive to aid in tank healing.

They can put the shaman on tank heals. Our mastery can easily heal up big damage when needed (kind of what it was designed for). Especially on spread fights- which is of our weaknesses.

Druid and monk on spread heals, throwing the occasional HoT's on the tank(s).

4.) Lacking power. I didn't know how to phrase this one, but the truth is that all three of these classes are ranking lower (on average) than disc priests and holy paladins. Shamans especially seem weaker in this patch. All three can be powerful healers, but on average the rankings say these three are some of the weaker healers. Now whether this is accurate or not, I'll leave for another debate, however it has been an observation in my team that this has had an impact. Our shaman has often noted his frustration on being a "weaker" healer than he was in previous patches (and I should make absolutely clear, he's talking class balance and not his personal player skills and abilities). Also, to add insult to injury, we have a blood DK tank (and we all know DKs are OP) that out heals some of our healers. Our blood DK, on more than one occasion, has out healed our monk and come dead even with our shaman in the healing numbers for a night of raiding.

Shaman's problem this patch is that fact that a lot of fights have spread healing. We have a couple of tools to combat that, but they are all cooldown/position related:

HST- 30 second cooldown (think it's 15 seconds with totemic restoration)
HTT- 3 minute cooldown
SWG- 3 minute cooldown
Glyph of chaining- has a CD tacked onto it
Glyph of RT- yes, it's spammable, but it doesn't heal for much

What's making pallies and disc so OP right now are their absorb mechanics. Disc- especially is a "gimmick" spec in my opinion.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/17/2013 4:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
lol double disc is the strongest 3 healer comp on a lot of fights this tier. If not double disc though then it's holy paladin disc priest resto shaman/mw monk/druid. Typically better of with a shaman or monk, but druids are quite strong on some fights (primordious, tortos).
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Shaman
Having a paladin in your raid allows you to much more easily get past so many raid mechanics. If you don't have one, consider your paladin. They're also healing superstars right now... though priests are too.

If you do already have a paladin, pick whatever you enjoy playing and roll with that. You'll adapt to the mechanics easily enough.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I highly suggest switching out either the resto or the MW for a holy paladin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]