Best money making professions since 5.2?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I haven't bothered much with professions this expansion.

I've mined the scattered Ghost Iron or BC ore for a little extra cash, but I want to pick up a crafting professions or profitable gathering profession.

What are the best money makers atm? Preferably something that doesn't cost thousands to level up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
They all cost thousands.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Woe is me.

Well, what are the best money making professions regardless?
Edited by Artuleska on 4/10/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
1. Jewelcrafting
2. Enchanting
3. Inscription (was number 1 but new trinkets are now available)
4. Alchemy (goes really well with JC and BS, cheapest to level)

Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring and Engineering have a slower return on investment although all four can be profitable.

Gathering trades time for gold.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1. JC (Gems needed everyday but prices may drop a lot)
2. Alchemy (Works well with JC and with procs plus transmutes)
3. Enchanting (need chants for new gear)
4. Inscription (Glyphs and trinkets)
~Bloody
Reply Quote
1. Jewelcrafting
2. Enchanting

Really, for best results you need both 1 and 2

3. Inscription (I've found the new tier has not hurt my sales of trinkets)

I have to disagree about alchemy. It can make gold but I've found it doesn't make a great deal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
As I mentioned in another post today, I got 16 procs on 60 rare transmutes and one on ten primal diamond transmutes. Procs are pure profit as I'm already making a profit with the individual gems that I transmute. Alchemy is a subtle profession. Often it's not the potions or flasks where you make your gold, it's in the transmutes. Also, double duration flasks on a raiding character are a boon.

You don't have to have alchemy to make a profit, but I know that I make more gold with it than I would without it.
Edited by Higeki on 4/10/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying it's unprofitable by any means. It is, I just don't think it compares to an armormaking profession.

With an average proc rate of 15%, that gives you about one extra per week, if you do living steel. This isn't a great deal of gold over the long term. On some servers it might be worthwhile to do Primal Diamonds, though I have found that often is not the case.

That said, I like my alch. Enough so that I have five of them, but I'd prefer a blacksmith or leatherworker if I had to make a decision between them.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Mage
The ones mentioned are good

I don't do this myself but there is huge potential in BS/LW crafting high end epics with 100%++ markups. Yes it takes longer to sell, but a single sale could net you 3000-12,000g depending what you are selling

496 epics now are surprisingly cheap to craft if you have the pattern, and for a new player the difference between a 496 for 10-14k gold on the AH vs. a 522 for maybe 50-80k gold is huge.

Like Consortium said, even in new tiers, sales of old trinkets still aren't too bad and I truely believe it's because of the price point.

496 craftables are moving there. Weapons from BS (502) will be wildly popular and I would think will sell for bare minimum of 30k on the AH (I mean some people will sell for less, but they'll quickly be snatched up and 30k is easily still a viable sell price).

The hardest part of selling high end epics is patience. Its not like JC where you open a mailbox to 105 sales overnight. You wind up with expires.

If you go from a gold per hour standpoint, LW/BS absolutely destroy JC/enchanting, as there is no milling, prospecting, disenchanting, mass creating gems, mass creating greens etc.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I agree with most of these answers but as most people would be using these wouldn't there be a greater demand for others as there are less people choosing to use them?

I'm not saying it's true I just think that it would make sense.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I am still new to an extent but I just think it would make sense that there is a greater demand for the ones that make less money.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Pretty much every single 90 played in all but the most casual of manner uses gems, enchants and glyphs. I might use one belt buckle a month if you count all my alts, but I use a dozen or so gems per month as my gear improves.

Right now Blacksmiths can make helms and boots that are 522 but take expensive "raid only" components. The average player is not going to purchase items that cost 25,000 gold in materials, so other than starter PVP gear, the market for these professions is not dynamic.

I'm not saying that there is not a niche for these crafters, there is. However, most items they sell are not consumables, and even those that are go on one piece of gear rather than virtually every piece of gear

Blacksmithing does give the best Profession Perk in that you can put any gem you want in those sockets. It's very customizable.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Enchanting and Jewelcrafting.

Tons of money is to be made from enchanting with no effort, just disenchanting your gear after an upgrade drops.
Edited by Weepea on 6/18/2013 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Right now I'm gathering materials for leveling alchemy, and at this point it looks like it's going to cost hundreds rather than thousands of gold.
Reply Quote
76 Draenei Shaman
Is herbalism any good now?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
I make over 100k a week profit with only JC and a transmute alchemist. I don't even bother with other professions at the moment since I have well over a million gold and every goldsink in the game. Primal diamond prices have climbed nicely since the legendary metas came out because it costs 5 primals if someone gets an upgraded helm.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I make over 100k a week profit with only JC and a transmute alchemist. I don't even bother with other professions at the moment since I have well over a million gold and every goldsink in the game. Primal diamond prices have climbed nicely since the legendary metas came out because it costs 5 primals if someone gets an upgraded helm.

This is pretty accurate. JC/Alchy makes insane money without even gathering mats. I just buy ores off the AH and prospect, cut the rare gems and transmute uncommon gems to blue then cut and sell those.

I also have an enchanter and make great money off that too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well each profession can get you somewhere with money.

Alchemy:
With alchemy you make potions and elixirs which don't get you anywhere. Transmutation Can get you money if people need the mats. You can make trinkets which people my want and will give you money for it. Herbalism is needed for this (herbs)

You can get lots of money for making glyphs, if they are useful, and you can also make the fortune cards, that people buy to see if they win anything. You can make vellums, which enchanters use to store enchantments for people on wow or there other alts. You can make tomes, which is an offhand that can improve magic users stats (mage priest etc). Enchanting is used for this (disenchant dust)

Blacksmith, leatherworking, and tailoring:
All these are gear crafting professions. Tailoring is cloth armor, which you can sell to cloth users. Leatherworking makes leather armor. for level 40 armor, the can also make mail armor. Blacksmithing is mail armor. for level 40 armor, you can craft plate armor. This is probably the best profession for moneymaking. To avoid spending, gather mats yourself: Tailoring:you can make bolts with cloth so nothing else is really needed, somethimes dust from enchanting though. Leatherworking: skinning, to make the leather. Blacksmithing: mining. You need the ores to make the armor.

Jewelcrafting: Gem cutting is making gems used for socketing, improving gear. Statues that heal of give some sort of buff isn't that helpful on the AH. But the jewelery you make (rings, necklaces, trinkets) can give good money if you sell them. Mining is used for this.

Skinning can give money alone, like selling the leather raw.

I hope i helped people who are deciding what profession to do.

-Lini
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Must be your server then, or perhaps mine. Primals have steadily dropped over time on Illidan, down 30-40% in the last 2-3 weeks alone. At this point I'm lucky to get more than 300g for one, while at one point they were over 500g. At this point I'm simply stockpiling, hoping for a spike when SOO releases and all the lfr raiders start upgrading their helms.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Here's my advice for now if you want to make money. Roll a toon with both herbalism and mining. Stockpile these mats for the next few weeks until we learn more about the next patch 5.4. We are still waiting for confirmation about how you will be able to get mats for certain new items/recipes. Once more info is available, you will be able to decide if you want to go with JC/enchanting (standard money makers) or the other professions that make gear (blacksmith, leatherwork, tailoring). People are saying that everyone will be able to make the new gear next patch without having to raid, but that is not confirmed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]