anyone from boston?

90 Undead Priest
did you hear the bombs? are you ok ? anything you would like to share from the experience
90 Orc Warlock
Saw some pretty gruesome photos of a poor man who later died...Such a !@#$ty world we live in.
90 Undead Priest
personal theory: some crazy white power guy somehow connected to all the DA shootings in texas.

since people who represent gun control legislation seemed to have been targeted, i have reason to believe that sadly it was homegrown terrorism.
90 Goblin Shaman
Woe
You won't make it as a criminal profiler, so don't quit your day job.
85 Human Rogue
I'm from just north of Boston.

Did not hear the bombs on Monday - I was off for the day and was running errands. Heard on the radio that something had happened, came home to watch news for as long as I could.

The area of Boston's one everyone who lives near the city is familiar with - it's basically square in the heart of the city, and we've all walked it any number of times. If my fiancee had gotten out of work early as she sometimes does, or had it happened 2 hours later, she'd probably have been right in that area - it's on a street that she walks down to get from public transit to the public library.

Today was much wilder. Obviously, there was chaos last night; the MIT officer that was killed worked at the boxing club which was founded in a school that is directly across the street from my apartment, so I spent a lot of the morning looking at pictures trying to figure out if I knew him. I don't know as I ever spoke to him, but the picture looked very, very familiar, which probably means I've seen him in passing at some point.

I don't know if you've followed closely today - I'm not sure how much has been reported in other parts of the country/world, and how closely it has been followed. (And if the only news you were getting was from CNN, my apologies - they have been a train wreck for the entirety of this investigation.) So at any rate, all of public transit was shut down for the day, and many of the surrounding towns, including mine, were put on lockdown - no one was allowed to leave the homes. At about 6:30, they lifted the lockdown - we ran out to get food, and during the time we were out, they put the towns in the area back on lockdown again.

If you've seen video of the scene, it's unbelievable that the suspect is still alive (badly hurt, but alive). There was a sustained burst of gunfire that was probably 6-8 seconds long - sounded like 30 or 40 shots were fired in rapid succession.

I guess they say they took 3 other people into custody in a town next door to the college where Suspect 2 went. We're not sure yet if they were involved or not.

Sorry if this was a little disjointed. It's been a whirlwind over the last few days, and everyone I know out here is still trying to put what happened into some sort of perspective.
90 Undead Priest
looks like it was a couple of crazy guys acting alone. big props to the boston PD for taking in one of them alive and perhaps providing answers to why this happened
90 Undead Priest
hey bornin that is pretty amazing.

my biggest question about all this: do you think shutting down the city at the cost of almost 1 billion dollars was worth it? what if they had to spend 4 days looking for him? would it have been ok to lock things down that long?
85 Human Rogue
I think for one day it was worth it. I don't think it would have gone any longer than that, and I think any longer than that would not have been worth it. But in this case, the law enforcement officials had a lead, had just had one of theirs killed, and knew the suspects had improvised explosives (the reports were over 200 rounds fired and several explosive devices triggered when they were trying to get away from the police last night).

So for one day? It was worth it. More than that, and it's a combination of the disruption being too great and a little bit too much living in fear.
85 Human Death Knight
looks like it was a couple of crazy guys acting alone. big props to the boston PD for taking in one of them alive and perhaps providing answers to why this happened

Only worth taking alive if he faces trial here and doesn't get deported and sent to another country like planned.

hey bornin that is pretty amazing.

my biggest question about all this: do you think shutting down the city at the cost of almost 1 billion dollars was worth it? what if they had to spend 4 days looking for him? would it have been ok to lock things down that long?

No because all that did was show that all one needs to do to really screw over an area is to cause enough panic for them to think that it's worth losing a possible billion+ to catch a few people.
90 Goblin Shaman
Woe
Only worth taking alive if he faces trial here and doesn't get deported and sent to another country like planned.

The one suspect who is still alive is a naturalized US citizen, I believe. There is no reason he would be deported, and every reason to believe he will be tried here in a normal court.
90 Undead Priest
No because all that did was show that all one needs to do to really screw over an area is to cause enough panic for them to think that it's worth losing a possible billion+ to catch a few people.

i agree, see al qaeda has never done something so small in america, and look what kind of trouble 2 guys with a pressure cooker can cause?

i bet a lot of real terrorists just had some ideas.

1 billion dollars to catch the pressure cooker bandits.

WASTE of TIME
90 Goblin Hunter
04/20/2013 01:28 PMPosted by Venicide

i agree, see al qaeda has never done something so small in america, and look what kind of trouble 2 guys with a pressure cooker can cause?

i bet a lot of real terrorists just had some ideas.

1 billion dollars to catch the pressure cooker bandits.

WASTE of TIME

I really dont see it that way at all. I think all of this effort will send a message to anybody who plans something like this again. We will spare no expense to quickly find your !@#. Maybe this may just prevent a few copycat bombers....maybe.
Besides...whats a billion dollars worth compared to your childs life?
Edited by Globbersnot on 4/20/2013 2:06 PM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
04/20/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Pjanes

The one suspect who is still alive is a naturalized US citizen, I believe. There is no reason he would be deported, and every reason to believe he will be tried here in a normal court.

Nevermind, too much grey in that area.

I really dont see it that way at all. I think all of this effort will send a message to anybody who plans something like this again. We will spare no expense to quickly find your !@#. Maybe this may just prevent a few copycat bombers....maybe.
Besides...whats a billion dollars worth compared to your childs life?

There are already people willing to get themselves killed to take out a few people. Now they get to get themselves killed, take out a few people, cause an entire city to shut down further harming the entire nations economy, and make their actions known throughout an entire nation. All with minimal effort. So no it's still not worth it. They didn't even need to shut down a city to catch a trained man, they didn't need to do it in Boston.
Edited by Miserabilia on 4/20/2013 3:25 PM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman
Woe
Already been reported that he's going to be deported to the middle east by the wish of a prince. So yah there's that.

Tsarnaev isn't middle eastern, nor is he being deported.
85 Human Death Knight
04/20/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Pjanes
Already been reported that he's going to be deported to the middle east by the wish of a prince. So yah there's that.

Tsarnaev isn't middle eastern, nor is he being deported.

I was talking about Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, who was first suspect, then person of interest, and now just a witness.
90 Undead Priest
Now they get to get themselves killed, take out a few people, cause an entire city to shut down further harming the entire nations economy, and make their actions known throughout an entire nation. All with minimal effort. So no it's still not worth it. They didn't even need to shut down a city to catch a trained man

yea this is the real problem...i am nervous.

pressure cookers are not weapons of mass destruction, its just some homemade stupid bomb. thats why i thought it was !@#$% nation crap.

think about it: all people just saw how to waste millions of peoples times and untold millions of dollars on top of that.
85 Human Death Knight

pressure cookers are not weapons of mass destruction, its just some homemade stupid bomb. thats why i thought it was !@#$% nation crap.

think about it: all people just saw how to waste millions of peoples times and untold millions of dollars on top of that.

People also saw how fear can somehow easily win in America.
90 Goblin Shaman
Woe

That's a really pointless statement. "Fear" wins everywhere garbage like this isn't commonplace.

The US has been lucky not to be plagued by people dropping IEDs left and right. Look at the UK, where (although it's cooled down a lot in the past decade or so) a bomb blowing up a pub got barely noticed when the IRA was active because of the relative frequency of it. How often do bombings happen in the US? The 93 WTC, OKC, a few assorted bombings associated with anti-abortion or earth/animal rights groups that generally were only property damage, and that's really about it for the past 20 years. Skirting the odd pipebomb in a mailbox here and there, of course.

It is an unfamiliar threat, and as such people responded with fear. Bombs are indiscriminate and easily hidden, not an identifiable threat like some shady looking nerd shooting up a school.
90 Undead Priest
concerns: i have heard mention of "WMD's" in reference to the pressure cooker bandits.
85 Human Death Knight

That's a really pointless statement. "Fear" wins everywhere garbage like this isn't commonplace.

The US has been lucky not to be plagued by people dropping IEDs left and right. Look at the UK, where (although it's cooled down a lot in the past decade or so) a bomb blowing up a pub got barely noticed when the IRA was active because of the relative frequency of it. How often do bombings happen in the US? The 93 WTC, OKC, a few assorted bombings associated with anti-abortion or earth/animal rights groups that generally were only property damage, and that's really about it for the past 20 years. Skirting the odd pipebomb in a mailbox here and there, of course.

It is an unfamiliar threat, and as such people responded with fear. Bombs are indiscriminate and easily hidden, not an identifiable threat like some shady looking nerd shooting up a school.

Fair enough, but it doesn't mean that they need to overreact and cause an entire city to shut down.

concerns: i have heard mention of "WMD's" in reference to the pressure cooker bandits.

Yah but there needs to be more information on anything, a lot of people are saying a lot of various things in reference to what they did. It doesn't help that the first lady is visiting the person of interest either, all that does is cause more confusion and pointless speculation.
Edited by Miserabilia on 4/21/2013 4:11 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]