Posible heirloom tank shield?

90 Undead Warrior
Could blizzard release a heirloom tank shield tanks!
Its just an idea but i would like to have one!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
They were planning to but it was bugged and couldnt be added in 5.2. I would assume it will be added in 5.3.
Edited by Zerde on 4/18/2013 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
What's a tank shield tank? Is it a tank disguised as a shield as it tries to tank?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
What's a tank shield tank? Is it a tank disguised as a shield as it tries to tank?

Either a typo or OPs English might not be that great.

/shrug
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I think it was "Thanks"

Which makes sense.
Reply Quote
2 Human Monk
What would be the point? Unless it gives XP, it doesn't serve a purpose.

Aside from the missing stats, there is no difference in mechanical functionality between an heirloom shield and a gray shield (you can still perform all abilities that require a shield).

In essence...how is your tanking being affected by NOT having an heirlooms shield?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
They have stated that Tank and Healer heirloom shields are coming up, we'll probably get them in 5.3.
Edited by Theedge on 1/10/2014 3:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Heirloom Shields were supposed to be put in-game with patch 5.2, but there were issues with how they were scaling as you level up, so they were pulled until it's fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/18/2013 08:07 AMPosted by Kuluth

Less worry about having to find a good shield while leveling up
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/18/2013 08:10 AMPosted by Rosenivy

\

Which is actually quite the pain. So it has a point.
Reply Quote
2 Human Monk
04/18/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Naérdriel

\

Yet that doesn't answer my question. What MECHANICALLY is lacking that a heirloom brings to the table BESIDES stats? Let's take a warrior and give them a gray quality shield.

Can they block? Yes
Can they shieldwall? Yes
Can they shield slam? Yes

Lets look closer at shield slam. The ability simply scales off AP and no longer (since BC or Wrath) off the values of the shield itself. Sure, an heirloom shield gives superior stats but in the grand scheme of things, doesn't hugely affect your damage.

A weapon directly impacts your damage. A shield is just another piece of armor like the chest or helm now. Sure, it's nice to have but meh.

Like I said, if it gives XP, it's clearly a winner (though it won't). Only reason I can see them doing it is because tanks and holy pallies have no offhand heirloom option (whereas everyone either has offhand weapons and casters have staves at least).
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Warrior
It would be nice, but it's not a game-breaker for me. I'm perfectly happy with only my heirloom sword.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It removes the need to upgrade your shield every tier of instance. That isthe point.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Yet that doesn't answer my question. What MECHANICALLY is lacking that a heirloom brings to the table BESIDES stats? Let's take a warrior and give them a gray quality shield.

Can they block? Yes
Can they shieldwall? Yes

Lets look closer at shield slam. The ability simply scales off AP and no longer (since BC or Wrath) off the values of the shield itself. Sure, an heirloom shield gives superior stats but in the grand scheme of things, doesn't hugely affect your damage.

A weapon directly impacts your damage. A shield is just another piece of armor like the chest or helm now. Sure, it's nice to have but meh.

Like I said, if it gives XP, it's clearly a winner (though it won't). Only reason I can see them doing it is because tanks and holy pallies have no offhand heirloom option (whereas everyone either has offhand weapons and casters have staves at least).

Let me ask it like this. What mechanically does any heirloom offer? Nothing, they are convienence with leveling so you don't have to worry about gear. Stuff dies faster, more mitigation (Armor/stats)....

There is no heirloom that mechanicly changes what a grey peice of armor can't do already. But you are looking for convience...so go stand in the corner; grown ups are talking.

Oh yeah, casters have off hands now. they were implimented in 5.2
Edited by Arshika on 4/18/2013 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Human Monk

Can they block? Yes
Can they shieldwall? Yes

Let me ask it like this. What mechanically does any heirloom offer? Nothing, they are convienence with leveling so you don't have to worry about gear. Stuff dies faster, more mitigation (Armor/stats)....

There is no heirloom that mechanicly changes what a grey peice of armor can't do already. But you are looking for convience...so go stand in the corner; grown ups are talking.

Oh yeah, casters have off hands now. they were implimented in 5.2

All heirlooms besides the weapon and trinkets (and I guess the ring if you are among the lucky few to have got it from the fishing tourney) give a passive bonus to XP. Weapons themselves significantly increase your damage/healing output (much more than replacing a gray piece with a heirloom will). A shield or offhand won't

I also never said that I was against them either. I simply stated why it isn't nearly a big of a deal that warrants concern. I dont care in the least if someone chooses to level an alt without it or holds off till its available.

Spare me your petty condescension in the future...cute as they are.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
\

Can they block? Yes
Can they shieldwall? Yes

You answered your own question, also, shields give a lot of armor.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
All heirlooms besides the weapon and trinkets (and I guess the ring if you are among the lucky few to have got it from the fishing tourney) give a passive bonus to XP. Weapons themselves significantly increase your damage/healing output (much more than replacing a gray piece with a heirloom will). A shield or offhand won't

I also never said that I was against them either. I simply stated why it isn't nearly a big of a deal that warrants concern. I dont care in the least if someone chooses to level an alt without it or holds off till its available.

Spare me your petty condescension in the future...cute as they are.

Its called Convienence. Increased XP is convenience. You can still level up without Heirlooms. Heirlooms just make it a bit quicker. That is all Heirlooms are, convenience, and the OP wanted the tank shield for exactly that, convenience.

And the condescension wasn't petty, I was trying to show you that you missed the entire point of the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
There is a shield, it's just not on vendors.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/19/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Arshika
Increased XP is convenience.

Not all heirlooms have XP bonuses, the weapons and off hands don't IIRC. A shield thus wouldn't. But not having to worry about gear upgrades sure as heck speeds up leveling (no need to bother choosing quest rewards, etc..).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Is it a tank disguised as a shield as it tries to tank?

obviously
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]