Cdev 4

91 Night Elf Druid
As a heads up, Micky Neilson ‏and the other guys at Blizzard have said that they are going to be doing more Cdev's faster.

It's possible that they are currently grabbing many of the questions asked to them through twitter and formatting them into an answer sheet, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I don't think it was mentioned here on the SF yet, so enjoy!
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Rogue
This is it, isn't it?

They're going to say Elune is a Naaru, I just freaking know it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
This is it, isn't it?

Shut your mouth.

Also interesting and we will see if they actually follow through.
Reply Quote
This is it, isn't it?

They had better not.

The rest of us have the Night Elves back on this. Nobody wants to see this happen. Elune is a mysterious Azerothian deity and that's good enough for me.

Brother Velen is simply misinformed on this point, is all. He just got here and is still figuring Azeroth out, and got a bit confused.
Edited by Sybhyl on 4/19/2013 2:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Brother Velen is simply misinformed on this point, is all. He just got here and is still figuring Azeroth out, and got a bit confused

There honestly isn't anything wrong with what Velen did either. I don't believe he was calling Elune a Naaru, but pointing out similarities between them and a powerful Naaru and offering help to communicate with said Powerful Naaru. I imagine he was more or less trying to offer a way for Tyrande to contact Elune more directly and talk with her.
Reply Quote
Frankly, he was being a bit rude there. I hate to say this, I admire the guy and all, but sheesh. He could have handled that discussion better and in a more, um, theoretical way.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Frankly, he was being a bit rude there. I hate to say this, I admire the guy and all, but sheesh. He could have handled that discussion better and in a more, um, theoretical way.

He was a little presumptuous, but he had good intentions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/19/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Sybhyl
Nobody wants to see this happen.

I do. Or otherwise something Titanic or spiritual in a manner not setting her in a class all her own. Having only one "true deity" and that sole goddess's aspect summarized "moon" just bothers me. Hakkar is often called the Blood God, but that may just be playing up how powerful of a Loa he is given that the Drakkari referred to their own broken Loa as gods.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior

I do. Or otherwise something Titanic or spiritual in a manner not setting her in a class all her own. Having only one "true deity" and that sole goddess's aspect summarized "moon" just bothers me. Hakkar is often called the Blood God, but that may just be playing up how powerful of a Loa he is given that the Drakkari referred to their own broken Loa as gods.
Elune is one of Azeroth's few true deities, not its only one. Others (as directly stated by Blizzard) do in fact include Hakkar and the Old Gods.

And while they've yet to precisely define what it means to be a god, it seems clear that it DOES mean something, and isn't just a meaningless appellation.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Gods
Edited by Vegdrasil on 4/19/2013 3:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Daavead...why do you hate the Night Elves?

Support your allies in this. Do you really want to wreck their culture?

It doesn't all have to be about the Titans or the Naaru or whatever. The WoW universe is vast and contain multitudes. There is surely room in it for Elune, as there is for the Ancients (and for that matter the Celestials and loas): Azeroth is a strange planet and throwing up all sorts of local oddities.

So far as I am concerned, turning Elune into a trumped up Naaru is a massive betrayal of our NE friends.
Edited by Sybhyl on 4/19/2013 3:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Rogue

Elune is one of Azeroth's few true deities, not its only one. Others (as directly stated by Blizzard) do in fact include Hakkar and the Old Gods.

Aren't Loas also deities? I recall someone (Ferlion?) Coming up with a theory that Elune is a form of Loa which I sort of liked.
Reply Quote
96 Orc Warrior
Aren't Loas also deities? I recall someone (Ferlion?) Coming up with a theory that Elune is a form of Loa which I sort of liked.

I once speculated she was an owl loa worshiped by the tribe of trolls that became night elves, empowered by the well of eternity

nothing really to back it up, just attempting to tie up their troll origins, their use of owls, and elunes magic seemingly being a mix of arcane and nature
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I think she's a Night Elf loa.

Yeah.
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 03:11 AMPosted by Shippyship

I once speculated she was an owl loa worshiped by the tribe of trolls that became night elves, empowered by the well of eternity

nothing really to back it up, just attempting to tie up their troll origins, their use of owls, and elunes magic seemingly being a mix of arcane and nature

That's actually kind of a neat theory. And it keeps things local, mostly.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
I subscribe to the theory that a naaru is a being who has ascended to the Light on a fundamental level.

Most naaru we see are what happens when a typical mortal ascends.

Elune is what happens when an eternal, like any given loa or ancient guardian, does. Explains why her toolset is a bit different from the typical leaves-and-stuff of most druidic or ancient nature magic.

Also opens up the idea of what prompted a being like that to attune to the principles of the Light to such an extent when we haven't seen this happen before--perhaps making way for night elf lore only utilizing the naaru concept as a catalyst and not as a real pivotal detail.
Edited by Frosthawk on 4/19/2013 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I subscribe to the theory that a naaru is a being who has ascended to the Light on a fundamental level.

Most naaru we see are what happens when a typical mortal ascends.

Elune is what happens when an eternal, like any given loa or ancient guardian, does. Explains why her toolset is a bit different from the typical leaves-and-stuff of most druidic or ancient nature magic.

Also opens up the idea of what prompted a being like that to attune to the principles of the Light to such an extent when we haven't seen this happen before--perhaps making way for night elf lore only utilizing the naaru concept as a catalyst and not as a real pivotal detail.

This is a pretty neat take on it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
So long as she's part of a family of beings and not a metaphysical anomaly, then I'm satisfied. When every other eternal can be called an Ancient, a Naaru, an Old God, a Loa, or a Titan, just having "Moon Goddess" independently sticking out is too arbitrary.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Sybhyl

I do. It's too freaking awesome not to happen.

04/19/2013 03:03 AMPosted by Vegdrasil

And while they've yet to precisely define what it means to be a god, it seems clear that it DOES mean something, and isn't just a meaningless appellation.

http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Gods

Yes. Let us turn to a now-outdated encyclopedia from a now-defunct website for the answer to the question of Elune.

Seriously though, I don't think the Draenei and the Naaru were even a thing when that was written. Even the Troll/Night Elf connection hadn't been revealed yet.

Ever think it wasn't moved to the new site for a reason?
Reply Quote
This is it, isn't it?

I've always said since TBC that Elune was such a beautiful name for a Naaru
Edited by Seebach on 4/19/2013 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]