I just got Killed!

36 Human Priest
Okay!, I got frustrated and took a dumb action. I knew better and did it anyway. It was finding that key to release Keeshan army from the cage that frustrated me. I circled that pen where the the sleeping wogs were twice, each time fighting those two means ones that has names ( I forget their names) as a pair as well as a half-dozen more one-at-a-time and I couldn't find that blasted key anywhere.
I should have read the quest description more carefully instead of relying too much on the map. The map was telling me it was in that circle of sleeping wogs and I concluded the watch captain on horse had the key. Attacking him wasn't smart or lasted very long, either. Needless to say I did read the quest closer after that, though I still haven't retrieved the key.
I found my body from the graveyard and used my healhtstone? immediately to transport back to the inn at Lakeshire. To regroup.
My question concerns the hit I took dying as I understand my gear loses some value from it; how can I tell how much and what can I do to restore it? There is nothing obvious when I open the character window that highlights anything.
Dying was traumatic as this was the first for this character and I'm concerned that I may need to replace or repair damaged gear. If there are any I can't find it and the worries me. So is there any way to tell how hit I took and what steps needs to be taken to restore her to full stats.
I'm sorry if I'm cluttering up this forum but y'all have helped me bunches and I thought I'd share my successes and the failure. I really do appreciate the help.
Val
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
If you look at a piece of your gear it will show it's durability stat. That is how you know how damaged it is. Damaged gear does not affect anything until you hit 0 durability. At that point the item is no longer usable until you get it repaired.

If an item is getting close to being broken a silhouette of your character will have it's armor highlighted in yellow on the right of the screen. If it is broken it will highlight in red.

To repair your armor go to any weapon/armor seller and hit the repair button (hammer icon) to individually repair things, or the repair all (anvil icon) to repair all your items.

When you die you lose 10% durability on all your pieces. You lose more durability if you res with a spirit healer. You also lose gradual durability by fighting.

Let us know if you have any more questions about how armor repair and durability works.
Edited by Monmonn on 4/20/2013 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
Thanks Monmonn that is a relief to know.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
for future reference, they're "worgs".. you may upset people by calling them what you were in the original post ;)
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
for future reference, they're "worgs".. you may upset people by calling them what you were in the original post ;)

Sorry I couldn't remember their names. No slight / insult intended.
Val
Edited by Valanne on 4/20/2013 3:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Also, in addition to the advice about repairing your gear, you should know that dying is to be expected in this game. There is nothing bad or wrong about it, although sometimes it can be really frustrating and disconcerting to die several (or more) times while trying to complete a quest.

You can see how many times any given character has died by clicking on his/her armory page, and then achievements > statistics tab > deaths. If you check mine, you'll see that I have died 5,707 times on this character alone!

You can always repair, it's not expensive, and at lower levels your gear will be replaced often anyway. It does not have to be repaired before being sold to a vendor.
Edited by Dmom on 4/20/2013 6:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
04/20/2013 06:38 AMPosted by Dmom
you should know that dying is to be expected in this game.

In fact, death can be used as a strategy. There's situations where you may want to eliminate the wingmen before tackling the big bad quest objective mob as the entire group is too much to handle. You kill the wingmen and die doing it so you can hurry back and kill the main mob before they respawn.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Did you get the key yet?

It is indeed in the center of the sleeping worgs - sitting on a stump. You have to sneak very carefully between the worgs to keep from disturbing them, and you have to time your sneak so that you get to the stump while the watch captain is furthest away. You gotta be just as careful after you get the key as you were approaching it - but you also can't let the watch captain get too close.

It's a finesse move, in other words, not smash-mouth. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You kill the wingmen and die doing it so you can hurry back and kill the main mob before they respawn.

Yup, it can be a very effective strategy. Unless you're going for the main beastie that I was trying to kill last week.

Tried burning him down and ignoring his guards but popping all my useful cooldowns, died. Then tried going after the guards, got them down just as I died even (again) while popping all of my useful cooldowns. I run back thinking, guards are dead, I can handle the boss on his own, but turns out the guards (and the boss) all instantly respawn as soon as combat ends. Yeah, that was not a fun one. Thankfully OP, this is the first time I've encountered that "everybody" insta-spawns situation, and it was at level 90.

But yes, this quest is definitely about timing and trying to sneak in unseen. The worgs are sleeping, so they won't attack you unless you get close to them or start a brawl in the middle of the ring. The big guy riding the worg patrolling the pen won't see you if he's far enough away OR facing away from you unless you get close to him.
Edited by Avanna on 4/20/2013 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only thing I'll add to the very good answers above is that a common misconception is that your gear loses "potency" gradually as it is damaged. It doesn't. It still works perfectly up until the point that it's broken, at which point it's like not having that piece on at all.

It's not a bad idea to repair whenever you get the chance (since once you reach a certain level it takes damage just from you taking hits) but if you realize out in the middle of the boonies that you didn't before you left town, you needn't worry until you see the silhouette referred to above.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
congrats.
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
You can see how many times any given character has died by clicking on his/her armory page, and then achievements > statistics tab > deaths. If you check mine, you'll see that I have died 5,707 times on this character alone!

I guess you might call me cautious as this is the first time with this character.

04/20/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Menschenhass
It is indeed in the center of the sleeping worgs - sitting on a stump.

Which stump? I have sneaked up to the first stump nearest the road leading in and didn't see it. I assume it is in plain sight. I'm betting there is another stump at the far end where gruesome twosome reside. I have killed those two twice while looking for that key. On that subject are the trinkets inside the building with the prisoner in the cage?
While I haven't got killed yet I've made two canyon and cave runs looking for the orb to control the ettins. Thanks to wowhead I believe I know where it is now and I can now find that necklace too.
Thanks again y'all are the best and I appreciate it.
Val
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Many times when I'm having trouble on a given quest, I go to wowhead.com. Just type in the name of your quest there, and then click on the "comments" section. Others who have worked on the quest before will often post strategies that have worked for them along the way.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to complete every quest. Many people wish to and that's fine, but there is nothing wrong with abandoning a quest. You can always come back later and complete it a higher level when you are more powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/21/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Valanne
I have sneaked up to the first stump nearest the road leading in and didn't see it. I assume it is in plain sight.

The stump in the center of the worg pen, it's hanging on a nail on the south side of the stump (the side of the stump closest to the millhouse).

Also, you are level 20 now, which means you can leave redridge behind and head into Duskwood if you want.
Edited by Avanna on 4/21/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
Also, you are level 20 now, which means you can leave redridge behind and head into Duskwood if you want

I kinda used to the scenery here and I guess the critters are meaner there too but I might do that for a change.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to complete every quest. Many people wish to and that's fine, but there is nothing wrong with abandoning a quest. You can always come back later and complete it a higher level when you are more powerful

When you say abandon do you mean formally abandoning or just ignoring it? I think I abandoned a quest somewhere near the Garrison near the sea I think. I wound up at Lakeshire from the hero's call in Stormwind.
Thanks again guys.
Val
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/21/2013 05:41 PMPosted by Valanne
When you say abandon do you mean formally abandoning or just ignoring it?

You can only have 25 quests in your quest log at a time, if you keep lots of quests around from zones you've outleveled you're going to have very little quest log space later for current quests. There are some quest hubs that give you 7-10 quests at a time for the same general area. Having space for them all in your log means you can work on them all at the same time. Like kill "12 gnolls", "collect 10 gnoll ears", "pick up 15 mushrooms from the area where the gnolls are", "rescue my son who was captured by the gnolls", "kill the gnoll leader and bring me his head", etc. If you only have space for 4 of those in your log then you're going to have to go back after you turn in the first batch and fight the gnolls again.

If you actually abandon a quest (ie. remove it from your quest log), you can always go back to the quest giver and get the quest again.
Edited by Avanna on 4/21/2013 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
One caveat to abandoning quests is that sometimes the quest must be done in order to unlock more quests in a zone. Retrieving that key is a necessary part of the whole chain in Redridge, and can't be skipped if you want to continue questing there. It's also not a good idea to drop a quest that's found out in the middle of nowhere, because it'll be a lot harder to track down than one that starts within a hub, such as a town or camp.
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
I only have 4 quests at the moment three for redridge and one to report to duskwood. I actually went back through the cave again and saw the guy I was supposed to kill but couldn't find a way to get up to that platform he was on. After trying twice and getting lost I used my hearthstone to transport to the inn at Lakeshire. And regroup.
I ran across a player that I was able to resurrect. How cool is that? I really like the priest role.
I got challenged to a duel and invited to a group by the same player. I lost the duel not surprising because I think their level was 43 or something like that. I turned down the group invite as I would need to change realms. I don't what was up with that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
World of warcraft has cross-realm zones so you're able to see and play with people in other realms. When you join a party with someone like that you'll need to basically get moved to the same realm as them or vice versa so you can play together. You aren't really moving realms, it's just a temporary thing so you can play with them.
Reply Quote
36 Human Priest
If I had know that I would have been inclined to accept. I thought changing realms was semi-permanent and costs $25. I did notice he was a PvP player.
Val
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]