Why Arathor Is Not Rome

Wait so is it arathian or arathorian
or are they based on Prussia in World War I?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Wait so is it arathian or arathorian
or are they based on Prussia in World War I?

They have a military culture, so they're obviously Prussia.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I didn't even know this was a thing. I really need to get back into roleplaying.

I'm so out of touch.
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Berenal
Guys. Guys. Clearly because Danath's voice actor in WC2 was australian, Stromgarde is Australia.

Sadly the only thing going for Australia these days is the fact that everything wants to kill us...

Waitasec... everything in Azeroth wants to kill us, and there are crocs!

Clearly Azeroth is Australia.. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Nothing is Roman besides things that are Roman, everything else may possess a greater or lesser degree of similarity.
Reply Quote
They have a military culture, so they're obviously Prussia.

prussia is #1
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'd believe this if you didn't tell me I should watch roman documentaries when running my guild. Or saying I was a disappointment for not doing it that way. I rather like warcraft's history, because that's the history of THIS world. It is a world where humans did not war. (They could have, should Thrall not have come! But what if is just not what happened.) It is a world where humans broke away from one another peacefully and just decided they wanted their own kingdoms too. I love it. There are no religion wars, no wars for land, no murdering your neighbor because they looked at you funny. Peace is a nice concept.

I never said that I was disappointed in you for not using Rome as a basis for your guild. You said that you were delving into having a military section of your guild, and I suggested that you watch documentaries on roman warfare because I think that it would be pretty cool to have something reminiscent of a roman legion on the server.

Where we disagreed on most was where you say that humans never fought one another and that they were always at peace, citing that no human wars were written into warcraft history. While there aren't ways to cite that Arathor might have had aspects of Roman culture, the very nature of the kingdoms and their fierce rivalries and equipment prior to the Orcish Wars suggests nothing other than that they would have fought each other for political/religious/economic dominance in the Eastern Kingdoms.

If not for the threat of the Horde in the present day, I believe that the human kingdoms (or at least their role-players) would probably wage war against one another for various reasons. I think that's pretty darn cool as far as compelling role-play goes.

While I know that Maxen will continually repeat things to the point of irritation, "You guys should really use a blue tabard!" I don't think what you're saying is exactly "Warcraft history".

We know, for example, that there were wars between the human kingdoms that Lordaeron often intervened on. "Peace" existed in the sense that there weren't genocidal green people trying to kill everyone, not that the kingdoms didn't fight one another.

I apologize for prodding you about the tabard thing when I did - I didn't know the significance of red for House Albrecht at the time.
Edited by Maxen on 4/3/2013 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I apologize for prodding you about the tabard thing when I did - I didn't know the significance of red for House Albrecht at the time.

It didn't really matter what the significance was. When a guild makes a decision, particularly one wholly independent from yours, the matter should be resolved on the first refusal. My point was that you seemed to believe you had some need to change others to fit your desired view, as seems to be what Hellissa was indicating.

As a rule, let people do what they want.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/03/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Kauthryn

It didn't really matter what the significance was. When a guild makes a decision, particularly one wholly independent from yours, the matter should be resolved on the first refusal. My point was that you seemed to believe you had some need to change others to fit your desired view, as seems to be what Hellissa was indicating.

As a rule, let people do what they want.

Fair enough. I don't know if I communicated it to you or not when I did poke you about it, but the reason why I repeated the inquiry twice OOC was to point out that some people (Maxen included) would be more inclined to associate with the organization if it bore the colors of old Lordaeron instead of those that resembled the Scarlet Crusade. It wasn't an attempt to get you to "do it my way," but to inform you of what I thought deserved thought. Here and now it doesn't matter one bit, obviously. The BoL has certainly gained a fair share of notoriety without old Lordaeron's colors - which I commend you for.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Fair enough. I don't know if I communicated it to you or not when I did poke you about it, but the reason why I repeated the inquiry twice OOC was to point out that some people (Maxen included) would be more inclined to associate with the organization if it bore the colors of old Lordaeron instead of those that resembled the Scarlet Crusade. It wasn't an attempt to get you to "do it my way," but to inform you of what I thought deserved thought. Here and now it doesn't matter one bit, obviously. The BoL has certainly gained a fair share of notoriety without old Lordaeron's colors - which I commend you for.

This is irrelevant. After you were told no the first time, that should've been it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
This is irrelevant. After you were told no the first time, that should've been it.

Here and now it doesn't matter one bit, obviously. The BoL has certainly gained a fair share of notoriety without old Lordaeron's colors - which I commend you for.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I just want to make clear that I'm not opposed to people envisioning or taking influences from historical perspectives or cultures, however those influences need to be clearly noted as fanon and should not be pushed upon others who have a different interpretation.

I for an example, view Arathor being similar to the Scottish Highlands. The people there are known for being fierce warriors; they live on rocky hills, and commonly brandish a claymore style blade. Because of this I commissioned a portrait of Artairr wearing a kilt etc. However, I do not expect anyone else to view the Highlands the same as I.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Arathor is not Rome because Arather is in a fictional Eastern Kingdoms,

and Rome is in a nonfictional Italy

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
There once was a dream that was Arathor?
Edited by Kalaryia on 4/4/2013 1:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
still rome
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
so is it arathian or arathorian

This is my only question ever
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
is there some reason arathi isn't already an adjective or is it not cool enough to be a demonym as well or something
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
is there some reason arathi isn't already an adjective or is it not cool enough to be a demonym as well or something

people want to put an 'N' on the end of it that's why the question needs to be asked
Reply Quote
It's Arathorian, like the Arathorian Empire. Arathian has never once been used in lore, so go away.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
04/04/2013 10:01 PMPosted by Throstan

people want to put an 'N' on the end of it that's why the question needs to be asked

once again the romani are erased and forgotten!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]