Why Arathor Is Not Rome

90 Human Paladin
It's Arathorian, like the Arathorian Empire. Arathian has never once been used in lore, so go away.

Arathi is used for the Highlands.

The American plains.
The American people.

The Scottish Highlands.
The Scottish people.

The Arathi Highlands.
The Arathi people.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
It's Arathorian, like the Arathorian Empire. Arathian has never once been used in lore, so go away.

It's "Arathi," actually. Please don't make me have to cite Tides of Darkness again.
Reply Quote
Arathorian v Arathi is really a matter of personal preference these days, though one explanation that was floated a while ago (by Hellissa, IIRC) was that the use of Arathorian reflects the multitude of tribal origins, while Arathi reflects only one, now-extinct, tribe that gave the land its name.
Reply Quote
The Arathorian Empire. Arathorian.
Reply Quote
It's "Arathi," actually. Please don't make me have to cite Tides of Darkness again.

The revelation caused a stir among the other kings, and Khadgar also looked at his companion with new eyes. An Arathi! He had heard of Arathor, of course, as had everyone in Lordaeron—it had been the first nation on the continent, long ago, and the people there had formed strong ties with the elves. Together the two races had fought against a massive troll army at the foot of the Alterac Mountains, and together the two races broke the troll threat and shattered the troll nation forever. The Arathorian Empire had prospered and expanded before finally, years later, collapsing into the smaller nations that covered the continent today. The Arathor capital, Strom, had been abandoned for the lusher northern lands, and the last of the Arathi had disappeared. Some stories claimed they had gone south, past Khaz Modan, into the wilderness of Azeroth. Strom had become the center of Stromgarde, Trollbane‘s domain.

From Tides of Darkness. Arathi refers to the specific tribe/bloodline.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
From Tides of Darkness. Arathi refers to the specific tribe/bloodline.

This seems like an inference on your behalf.

Someone could say "An American!" when they meant a Native American and then also when they spoke of John Smith.

All your example shows is that the empire was the Arathorian Empire.
Reply Quote
Doesn't really matter in the end, it's referenced to the exact same thing. Saying Arathian or Arathorian matters little because really, you're both talking about the exact same place. It's similar to the differences between the pronunciation of tomato. Some people pronounce it 'toh-may-to' and some people pronounce it 'toh-mah-to' in the end though it's the same piece of food you're talking about so it not really worth arguing over.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think Arathian is ever said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Arathi for tribe of humans who eventually made the empire.

Arathorian for the human empire.

Stromgarde (or Stromgardian?) for the humans currently living/sworn to the Arathi Highlands.
Reply Quote
Ehh, I don't think that's right Maxen.

The first two points yes, but Stromgardian? That's like calling someone a Stormwindian because they reside in Stormwind.

When addressing the people, the name of the land they are living in or came from is used, with most names not actually gaining any 'bonus letters'. Stromgarde is I think the only unique nation where the lands they hail from are not named after the city they consider their capital. So for the people in the Highlands, they consider themselves the Arathi people, even though the Arathorian Empire is long gone.
Edited by Aretain on 4/5/2013 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

The first two points yes, but Stromgardian? That's like calling someone a Stormwindian because they reside in Stormwind.

When addressing the people, the name of the land they are living in or came from is used, with most names not actually gaining any 'bonus letters'. Stromgarde is I think the only unique nation where the lands they hail from are not named after the city they consider their capital. So for the people in the Highlands, they consider themselves the Arathi people, even though the Arathorian Empire is long gone.

Or the capital can be named after the land, a far, far more likely situation...
Reply Quote
Or the capital can be named after the land, a far, far more likely situation...

That doesn't really relate to my point at all, which concerns the people and what they are named after.
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Rogue

Stromgarde (or Stromgardian?) for the humans currently living/sworn to the Arathi Highlands.

Would more than likely be Stromgarder - sounds better, for one thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

The way I interpret it is the remnants of Arathor renamed their nation to Stromgarde after the fall of the empire, making "Arathorian" archaic. I don't consider Stromgarde to be solely a city, but a nation which encompasses all living humans in the Highlands who bend to the Trollbane line.

Grev was born and raised in the eastern Highlands, but I identify him as a Stromgardian despite not belonging to the city. His kingdom is Stromgarde and he's a Stromgardian.

To each their own, though. I don't have a problem with people using Arathorian, I'd just rather not be subjected to people matter-of-factly trying to correct me as Hellissa demonstrated earlier.

Would more than likely be Stromgarder - sounds better, for one thing.

Blizzard refers to them as Stromgardians, so that's what I roll with. Again though, to each their own.
Edited by Grev on 4/5/2013 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh the irony of this thread..
Reply Quote

Speaking of which, is the nation itself still called the Kingdom of Azeroth or Stormwind?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Speaking of which, is the nation itself still called the Kingdom of Azeroth or Stormwind?

In-game as far as I've seen it's called the Kingdom of Stormwind presently. For some reason it was changed from the Kingdom of Azeroth when it was liberated after the Second War.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Oh the irony of this thread..

I'm afraid I don't see it.
Reply Quote
As far as I am aware all the human kingdoms are named as 'The Kingdom of **' where ** = The name of the nations capital city (generally speaking, the land also seems to be named after the capital or founding village). The only exception to this appear to Dalaran and possibly Kul'Tiras as neither of these human kingdoms have ever had a king or a queen. Dalaran is ruled by the Council of Six (I believe it is referred to the 'Magocracy of Dalaran') and Kul'Tiras is ruled by the Lord Admiral.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm afraid I don't see it.

Same, was hoping he'd clarify.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]