Holy Pallies and dailies

90 Gnome Mage
I'm leveling my holy pally atm through dungeons and BGs and I'm wondering, how do holy pallies do dailies? Other classes can usually just swap specs and do fine, but holy pallies would literally need another entire set of gear to go ret or prot and do dailies unless they are able to find a group. So is it basically find a group or bust?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Or suck it up and get Ret gear, which is not hard and would take you between a few days to like a week or two depending on your playtime and how you gear.

Here's some quick options~
Craftable ilvl 450 Contender's set or the 450 craftable tank set
Craftable ilvl 458 Dreadful set (this is probably the hardest to acquire - full set-wise)
Convert JP to Honor and get the ilvl 476 Malevolent gear

The 450's will probably be the fastest and cheapest, since there are probably tons of people that have the whole set learned. The Contender set has a cost of 67-69 Ghost Iron, so if you have a miner, the cost is minimal if you talk to the right person.

Accessories and weapons have options as well, which are a lot easier to acquire than one might think.

I'm assuming lvl 90 ;o
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So yesterday I did all my Isle of Thunder dailies as holy, it's not too bad with Denounce Spam, it hits for ~30k with my gear. But it does take a good amount of time so you have to be patient. Or find a friend to do dailies with and they can carry you!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ya, there's that option. Have a friend AoE all the things while you heal them like a bawss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Doing dallies as holy is a sick joke. I can't believe I hit exalted with every MoP faction doing dallies as holy. I just did some Kirin Tor dallies to see the knew ones as ret (Finally have some gear) and even though its 25 levels lower than my Holy gear I was still killing mobs twice as fast. Such a joke
Edited by Foosy on 4/4/2013 3:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I run dailies every day as holy. It's not as bad as people will make you believe. Our DPS is not "that bad." Case in point, I was able to do the first 6 fights in Brawler's Guild this morning as Holy. Would it have been easier as a Ret? Probably.

Holy is not incapable of doing dailies. I quested from 1-90 as Holy, and the only place i had problems was the elites at Shado-Pan in Townlong (bugs in 3 packs). Don't get me wrong, I needed help there. But everywhere else I was able to do with minimal issue.

The biggest thing about doing dailies as a Holy is "questing smart." If you get 3 quests, look for the overlap. Don't kill more mobs than you have to. If you have to stop a ritual, and kill 10 mobs, and use 5 items on 5 raptors, stop the ritual first (killing 6 mobs, and collecting your 5 items). Zap your raptors, and cleaning up the trolls as you go (because they will add). Use the Tag system to get your boss kills. Heal other players, etc. Playing smart will save you a lot of time. Don't kill if you can run (pursuit of justice aka run like a b$^$&). Drop stuns, and blinds, and open cages, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I feel like the poster above me is trying to spread disinformation. It is not worth doing dailies as holy. I leveled 1 to 90 as holy also but it does not matter how much skill you have or how well you know the spec. The fact is, unless you reforge out of mastery, your dps just won't be high enough to justify not doing dailies as holy. And even then, retribution will still be faster. Holy has no aoe damage.
My advice: suck it up an collect a retribution set from greeding or needing in heroic dungeons. When you run a dungeon check if there are any plate wearers in the group. If there aren't, need away on ret gear you will use. If not, greed or ask when it drops if it's ok to need for off spec.

I do not find it fun to quest as ret but as they say "time is money, friend". Collect the ret set and be content with knowing questing as ret is a lot faster than questing as holy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel like the poster above me is trying to spread disinformation. It is not worth doing dailies as holy. I leveled 1 to 90 as holy also but it does not matter how much skill you have or how well you know the spec. The fact is, unless you reforge out of mastery, your dps just won't be high enough to justify not doing dailies as holy. And even then, retribution will still be faster. Holy has no aoe damage.
My advice: suck it up an collect a retribution set from greeding or needing in heroic dungeons. When you run a dungeon check if there are any plate wearers in the group. If there aren't, need away on ret gear you will use. If not, greed or ask when it drops if it's ok to need for off spec.

I do not find it fun to quest as ret but as they say "time is money, friend". Collect the ret set and be content with knowing questing as ret is a lot faster than questing as holy.

How long does it take you to do your dailies?

Thunder Isle takes maybe a half hour (45 mins tops if you get in on a Rare kill) as Holy. I do them before work in the morning.

It's not about AOE damage (which you have via Light's hammer), which you don't need doing the quests anyway. Pull a mob, kill a mob. 30 seconds later kill the next one. Use your cool downs (they'll be back up in 2 minutes). Keep your Mastery (I have LOTS).

I'm not saying ret isn't faster. It is. But it also requires another set of gear. Heroic dungeons will net me 460~ gear. I'm running 502~ from LFR. That's a 40 ilvl difference. (Not counting what it's going to cost me in Gems & enchants) . Yes, I might be able to kill a mob twice as fast... Which is negligible, when I can kill them in 30-45 seconds as Holy. I spend more time moving around the island than I do killing things.

What is it going to cost you for that savings in time?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Switch glyphs for Glyph of Holy Shock. Problem solved. Dailies only take 30 minutes as a hpally if you do it right, so there's really no need for a ret spec unless you have a full set waiting in your inventory as it is.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
so there's really no need for a ret spec unless you have a full set waiting in your inventory as it is.

Correct. But acquiring another set is nowhere as difficult as people make it out to be. It's not like building a Ret set is hurting you or anywhere near as hard as, say... Inquisition.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :x
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/05/2013 02:24 AMPosted by Vlada
so there's really no need for a ret spec unless you have a full set waiting in your inventory as it is.

Correct. But acquiring another set is nowhere as difficult as people make it out to be. It's not like building a Ret set is hurting you or anywhere near as hard as, say... Inquisition.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :x

The outlay of gold for gems and enchants on a second set are the real killer. You'll be able to get the gear for "free" (tokens cross specs), and you can back fill other pieces with PVP gear as needed, but you have to buy your gems & enchants.

1k for a primal gem, 500gp for a buckle, 500gp for a set of shoulder scripts. I replaced 5 items in LFR this week on my main spec and burned 3500~ gp getting the pieces taken care of.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I completely understand the expenses involved with maintaining a second and even a 3rd set. But I'm just talking about dailies and gearing up a second spec for them. You don't need Dancing Steel or whatever else, ya know? Simple enchants are cheap. Green gems are cheap. You could get away with being a cheapskate and get the blue 415 rings and neck for maybe 300g a pop. Set limits per piece, don't give in to price gougers ;o You aren't gearing for heroics or raids, just running around smacking mobs for 30m or so :P

All the armor options I listed in my first post very low cost. The other stuff, yes, can add up. I could say that making money in this game isn't hard. Let me rephrase that, despite upkeep costs in this game, you can pretty much break even as long as you are actively out doing things. If you buy a set and then sit on it without doing dungeons, raids, and/or dailies you will lose money. It's an investment though. But I'm sure we're all swimming in our Scrooge McDuck money bins filled with hundreds of bags of 30g by now.

Also, alts. I know not everyone has the time, but you can become self sufficient in this game without too much effort. Even with one alt, you could find a way to provide enough of a profit to pay for small things one by one. I don't do everything I can on every toon I have, that'd be ridiculous, but with little effort on one toon I can break even after a week. There are people like me that have too much time on their hands and have every prof covered at max level, but I can't expect everyone to do the same.

If you don't have alts, and feel like the Ret set is needed, then start saving gold and throw it in the LOLRET jar. But as it's been said, it's not necessary. Just be prepared to have a few moments of frustration now and then if you go Holy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I completely understand the expenses involved with maintaining a second and even a 3rd set. But I'm just talking about dailies and gearing up a second spec for them. You don't need Dancing Steel or whatever else, ya know? Simple enchants are cheap. Green gems are cheap. You could get away with being a cheapskate and get the blue 415 rings and neck for maybe 300g a pop. Set limits per piece, don't give in to price gougers ;o You aren't gearing for heroics or raids, just running around smacking mobs for 30m or so :P

All the armor options I listed in my first post very low cost. The other stuff, yes, can add up. I could say that making money in this game isn't hard. Let me rephrase that, despite upkeep costs in this game, you can pretty much break even as long as you are actively out doing things. If you buy a set and then sit on it without doing dungeons, raids, and/or dailies you will lose money. It's an investment though. But I'm sure we're all swimming in our Scrooge McDuck money bins filled with hundreds of bags of 30g by now.

Also, alts. I know not everyone has the time, but you can become self sufficient in this game without too much effort. Even with one alt, you could find a way to provide enough of a profit to pay for small things one by one. I don't do everything I can on every toon I have, that'd be ridiculous, but with little effort on one toon I can break even after a week. There are people like me that have too much time on their hands and have every prof covered at max level, but I can't expect everyone to do the same.

If you don't have alts, and feel like the Ret set is needed, then start saving gold and throw it in the LOLRET jar. But as it's been said, it's not necessary. Just be prepared to have a few moments of frustration now and then if you go Holy.

I get where you are coming from, but having a fully geared Holy is better than having a half geared (and gemmed) Ret. I'm not great DPS (in Holy), but I'm better DPS than I am in my 465~ Ret set (situationally). 40ilvl's add up, especially in an unfamiliar spec, with sub optimal gems/chants.

If we're talking about 1 set of Dailes (like thunder isle), I don't know how much time I'd really be saving. If we're talking 5.1, where I was doing Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Tillers, and Anglers... Yah I could see it saving me 30-60 minutes overall.

At this point, we're talking about "speeding." Going 75 in a 60mph zone may increase your speed by 25% but only saves you 20% of the time you would have spent. You just top out by going faster. The mobs can only die so fast, and then you are left with movement around the zone and opening/looting, which more dps doesn't affect.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll have to try doing them in my Holy gear one of these days for !@#$s and giggles.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll have to try doing them in my Holy gear one of these days for !@#$s and giggles.

It's actually fun. You don't think about killing everything in sight. You think about how avoiding killing things. Completely different mindset. Kinda like "Don't stand in the #$%% fire" when dpsing. Yah your total damage is gonna drop, but you live to do more dps.

Get too many mobs (of the wrong type). Blind and run like a punk. Break aggro and try again.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I dunno, though. Ret's AoE is, well, it's there without having to use a talent lol. It'd be hard to not want to pull 6-7 things and blow them up :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
+

i tried using my gear but using a second spec to talent/glpyh into as much dps as possible... its not bad but lacks aoe and can get annoying doing 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 3 2 2 2 /repeat
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/05/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Jarshie
+

i tried using my gear but using a second spec to talent/glpyh into as much dps as possible... its not bad but lacks aoe and can get annoying doing 1 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 1 3 2 2 2 /repeat

You do have an AoE but it is on a coool down.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Other classes can usually just swap specs and do fine, but holy pallies would literally need another entire set of gear to go ret or prot and do dailies unless they are able to find a group. So is it basically find a group or bust?

If you're just doing dailies, you don't really need the gear. Just a decent enough two-handed weapon. Just use your 2nd spec for Ret, and go to town. These dailies are not that hard.

Yeah, you won't be top DPS, but enemies will go down a hell of a lot faster than they would as Holy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I do the dailies as holy. Like other people say, it's doable, but it'd be a lot more fun if I could AoE. I've been trying to get Blizzard to consider linking seals with Denounce so that we'd have:

Seal of Truth: applies Censure, the go-to seal for single-target damage
Seal of Righteousness: Denounce becomes an AoE attack
Seal of Insight: Denounce costs no mana, maybe can proc Insight to give mana back (or maybe that's a glyph effect?)

It would make seals relevant for Holy again, it'd make questing more fun---I don't know why they haven't done it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]