Sentinels Pride.

90 Human Paladin
Can anyone proudly say they're a Sentinels player or do most people just think this realm is a joke?
It's so sad, I see negative comments about the server a lot, especially in General/Trade chat. Maybe it's just my luck.
:'(
Edited by Pìggie on 4/9/2013 10:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
At one point in time, I was quite proud to be not only a player on the Sentinels server, but also an active part of the Sentinels community. And to some extent, I'm still kind of proud to be a part of Sentinels, but there is not nearly the amount of community here that there once was.

Back in the day, when the forums were alive with active posters and a daily thread that would almost always reach at least two pages each day, I was quite proud of the knowledge that I knew almost everyone on the server and that when I entered a PuG there was always a handful of people who knew who I was. I loved the server, and I always enjoyed doing things with the community.

You probably don't see that kind of thing anymore, though - likely because of the lack of community that made being on Sentinels such a great experience. People have moved on and while I wish I could tell you otherwise, there isn't much to be proud about in regards to this server anymore.

Sentinels 2010 was and still is my favorite memory in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
i proudly say i've played on sentinels since vanilla
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
At one point in time, I was quite proud to be not only a player on the Sentinels server, but also an active part of the Sentinels community. And to some extent, I'm still kind of proud to be a part of Sentinels, but there is not nearly the amount of community here that there once was.

Back in the day, when the forums were alive with active posters and a daily thread that would almost always reach at least two pages each day, I was quite proud of the knowledge that I knew almost everyone on the server and that when I entered a PuG there was always a handful of people who knew who I was. I loved the server, and I always enjoyed doing things with the community.

You probably don't see that kind of thing anymore, though - likely because of the lack of community that made being on Sentinels such a great experience. People have moved on and while I wish I could tell you otherwise, there isn't much to be proud about in regards to this server anymore.

Sentinels 2010 was and still is my favorite memory in WoW.

I couldn't have said it any better if I had tried
Edited by Todar on 4/4/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't know if I'd say I'm 'proud' to be on Sentinels, but I think, like many low-ish population servers, Sentinels suffers from its own self-fullfilling prophecy. People whine about how bad Sentinels is, so there's a tendency for people to think things PuGs aren't going to work out, and others realize how much easier life would be on higher population servers, so they leave, thus increasing the population issues.

Even with the decline, though, Sentinels still has more "community" than any of the other servers I play on regularly. So I stick around, and I like it.

edit: P.S. I also was disappointed to find that this wasn't a planning thread for a sentinels gay pride parade :p
Edited by Gytha on 4/4/2013 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/04/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Prodon
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
P.S. I also was disappointed to find that this wasn't a planning thread for a sentinels gay pride parade :p
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/05/2013 04:19 AMPosted by Sinlinara
P.S. I also was disappointed to find that this wasn't a planning thread for a sentinels gay pride parade :p

It can be done.

On a side note, I realize that a lot of people have left and even I think about it to sometimes but I still see the community that you guys are talking about. I have yet to meet a really nasty person while I've played on this server. I really wish I could do something, is there nothing we could do? Run forum contests to attract people to the forums (I have gold I don't mind letting go of), events, etc.
My only problem is that I'm not really an RPer and I realize that this is an RP realm but I've chosen to stay because of the community, whatever is left of it. Would it piss RPers off if I tried to attract more people to the forums, RP or not? I don't know, I don't like the idea of just settling for a server transfer, or accepting that Sentinels 'is not the server it once was'.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I am a proud, nearly 5 year member of <Vitality> of Sentinels since 2008. I've found what I need to enjoy my time here.

Let's face it, WoW's old and people are tired of daily quests, and LFR has probably lost its appeal too. You can only do so much at level cap. The best moments I've had playing on this server with <Vitality> all hold one thing in common: people in voice chats. You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you're playing with people and hanging out and enjoying others' company then you're probably going to be having a good time.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
The best moments I've had playing on this server with <Vitality> all hold one thing in common: people in voice chats. You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you're playing with people and hanging out and enjoying others' company then you're probably going to be having a good time.

This is essentially the reason why I don't play WoW anymore. Back in Wrath of the Lich King, I was always either on my guild's vent server, or Spin the Dragon's vent server when that one died because the person paying for it was no longer interested in doing so. Even after the guild fell apart I was always in a Ventrilo channel with some of my closest friends and I still am right now. They were what made WoW fun for me.

Simultaneously, this is why it's kind of hard to bring people to Sentinels. It is sort of hard to entice a group of people to collectively move or start playing on a server, especially a server that has a dwindling population.

04/06/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Pìggie
On a side note, I realize that a lot of people have left and even I think about it to sometimes but I still see the community that you guys are talking about. I have yet to meet a really nasty person while I've played on this server. I really wish I could do something, is there nothing we could do? Run forum contests to attract people to the forums (I have gold I don't mind letting go of), events, etc.

I've also thought about this, but I am not the person to do this because I'm just a figment of Sentinel's past, posting on a character that hasn't truly been played for a year now and who may never be played again. I still post here because I enjoy what little conversation still exists, and because if I leave Prodon and Silversol will likely fight each other to the death. But moreover, I also continue to hang around because I hope I can still offer some life to the forums, even if it is just my opinion on things.
But to actually answer your question, attempting to do those things wouldn't hurt and I would be glad to see more people who enjoy talking about stuff over here.

My only problem is that I'm not really an RPer and I realize that this is an RP realm but I've chosen to stay because of the community, whatever is left of it. Would it piss RPers off if I tried to attract more people to the forums, RP or not?

The short answer is 'no'. A more complex answer would involve me pointing out that Sentinels has always had a history of RPers, PvEers, and PvPers all posting on the forums and doing things there. Most people play a combination of these three to some extent. As long as you aren't openly bashing people who RP, no one will get upset.

I don't know, I don't like the idea of just settling for a server transfer, or accepting that Sentinels 'is not the server it once was'.

If your goal is to do things on Sentinels, then I can understand this sentiment. However, if your goal is to do things with a guild, and the guild decides that if they stay on Sentinels that they are going to die off through attrition because there's almost no one to recruit... Well, 'settling' is no longer the proper word.
You also can't and shouldn't trick yourself into believing that Sentinels is some grandiose place with a thriving population of people. It's not healthy, and it helps to prevent you from anything you might do about it. It's a much more mature and healthy position to accept the state the server is in, and then say "I want to do something about that."
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
The best moments I've had playing on this server with <Vitality> all hold one thing in common: people in voice chats. You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you're playing with people and hanging out and enjoying others' company then you're probably going to be having a good time.

This is essentially the reason why I don't play WoW anymore. Back in Wrath of the Lich King, I was always either on my guild's vent server, or Spin the Dragon's vent server when that one died because the person paying for it was no longer interested in doing so. Even after the guild fell apart I was always in a Ventrilo channel with some of my closest friends and I still am right now. They were what made WoW fun for me.

Simultaneously, this is why it's kind of hard to bring people to Sentinels. It is sort of hard to entice a group of people to collectively move or start playing on a server, especially a server that has a dwindling population.

I've also thought about this, but I am not the person to do this because I'm just a figment of Sentinel's past, posting on a character that hasn't truly been played for a year now and who may never be played again. I still post here because I enjoy what little conversation still exists, and because if I leave Prodon and Silversol will likely fight each other to the death. But moreover, I also continue to hang around because I hope I can still offer some life to the forums, even if it is just my opinion on things.
But to actually answer your question, attempting to do those things wouldn't hurt and I would be glad to see more people who enjoy talking about stuff over here.

My only problem is that I'm not really an RPer and I realize that this is an RP realm but I've chosen to stay because of the community, whatever is left of it. Would it piss RPers off if I tried to attract more people to the forums, RP or not?

The short answer is 'no'. A more complex answer would involve me pointing out that Sentinels has always had a history of RPers, PvEers, and PvPers all posting on the forums and doing things there. Most people play a combination of these three to some extent. As long as you aren't openly bashing people who RP, no one will get upset.

I don't know, I don't like the idea of just settling for a server transfer, or accepting that Sentinels 'is not the server it once was'.

If your goal is to do things on Sentinels, then I can understand this sentiment. However, if your goal is to do things with a guild, and the guild decides that if they stay on Sentinels that they are going to die off through attrition because there's almost no one to recruit... Well, 'settling' is no longer the proper word.
You also can't and shouldn't trick yourself into believing that Sentinels is some grandiose place with a thriving population of people. It's not healthy, and it helps to prevent you from anything you might do about it. It's a much more mature and healthy position to accept the state the server is in, and then say "I want to do something about that."

Are you trying to replace Blue with the massive wall o text?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I kinda feel bad for all the Debbie Downers. That whole mindset reeks of projection & low self esteem. But the server is what it is. It honestly hasn't changed much over the years.

Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't know, I was trying to find people who wanted to do something about it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
It honestly hasn't changed much over the years.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that I have imagined the heavily active RP community, the days when there was a need to bump recruitment threads every day so they would stay on the front page, and all the people that used to be all over the place? Because I'm pretty certain that things have changed quite a lot since Wrath of the Lich King and before.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Are you trying to replace Blue with the massive wall o text?

I don't intend to replace anyone. I just have a lot to say and I don't want to flood the thread with a ton of posts.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
04/06/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Sinlinara
It honestly hasn't changed much over the years.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that I have imagined the heavily active RP community, the days when there was a need to bump recruitment threads every day so they would stay on the front page, and all the people that used to be all over the place? Because I'm pretty certain that things have changed quite a lot since Wrath of the Lich King and before.

Blizz has done everything they can to take the MMO out of their MMORPG. LFR & the dungeon finder specifically discourage socialization. Even the guild perks punish players for associating with anyone outside their circle of friends. Hub cities feel emptier, but that's because people are actually out doing stuff rather than fountain jumping in Stormwind. There's a ton more content that's easily accessible solo, not just on your main but also on your army of alts. The game itself has changed, but I don't see it being server specific.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
So you haven't noticed that there are basically zero people who RP anymore. You haven't noticed that the forums have slowed down to what is basically the pace of an arctic glacier's advance. You haven't noticed that guilds are migrating to other servers left and right because there just isn't enough people to recruit from.

If you had meant that the server is slow-paced and relaxing home for those who are looking for a place to chill out, then I would agree. It hasn't changed much in that regard.

However, when last I checked there was almost no one around to RP with in Stormwind, Orgrimmar, or Silvermoon where in the past these places were packed full of people throughout the day and for a good while into the night. And it's not because of LFR and the Dungeon Finder that these cities are empty, because if you go there on Wyrmrest Accord or any number of other RP servers you are going to get very different results.

I've also been in a number of guilds since Guild Perks were enabled and neither the guilds or the content has stopped me from doing things with the community. Yes, the game has changed but you have to be lying to yourself to think that this server is the same as what it was in 2008.

Moreover, it has been effected in ways that other servers have not. Walk around for 10 minutes at any time of day in Stormwind, then go to another server and do the same. If LFR, Dungeon Finder, Guild Perks, and the new content that has been released is the cause then you should see little to no difference.

If you want to have a discussion about how the changes Blizzard has made to the game have reduced the player base and made it a less socially active experience, then I think that is a reasonable discussion that we can have and I would probably agree with you in that regard. However, Sentinels isn't on the precipice of death merely because of that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
04/06/2013 10:18 PMPosted by Sinlinara
So you haven't noticed that there are basically zero people who RP anymore.
Whoa now. I would not say zero. I have RP'd in MoP already and I rarely ever RP!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
RPing with your water elemental doesn't count as a social activity.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]