[PVE]Whats a good website for gems/reforging?

90 Human Priest
So i recently started playing again, and i decided to roll a spriest (I was getting bored of my Hpally). So far i have been using AskMrRobot for the majority of my gemming/reforging advice (A few guildies have told me its gotten a lot better about making stupid suggestions).

But i'm really starting to second guess it. Mostly, i'm not liking how it nearly always suggest i use a gem with 0 int on it, even though int is the most important stat.

I know some gems with no int are needed, but for example, its telling me to use the mastery boot enchant instead of haste. If i used haste boot enchant, would i not be able to replace at least one +320 haste gem with a 80int, 160 haste one? I also don't really like how its also having me sacrifice more +int in gems to go over the 24.97% haste breakpoint.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/drenden/Skari/advanced

Anyone smarter than me care to give me any insight if this website is giving me good advice or not? Or maybe suggest a better one?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
HowtoPriest.com is where to go.

Shadow tl;dnr
http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3507

Shadow Raiding: the Primer, 5.2 Edition!
http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701
Reply Quote
You seem sharp enough to make your own decisions based on how you perform.

Try:

Chardev.org

Go to character planner. Select the Import tab and follow prompts (name/server).

Now your character is loaded. Your can toy with EVERYTHING and see all stat changes. Even add raid buffs.

Basically work on reforging, gear choice, and ench/gems without the cost of in game trial & error.

Its pretty good if you don't need a script to tell you what it told the last 900 players.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

It's really not preference. There is a mathematically determined best choice gemming plan.

Use the guide for best results.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 12:40 PMPosted by Woaden

It's really not preference. There is a mathematically determined best choice gemming plan.

Use the guide for best results.

there's a chance he's not a full blown basement dragonslayer and wants to see what works for him based on what he's got going currently.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
there's a chance he's not a full blown basement dragonslayer and wants to see what works for him based on what he's got going currently.

I see.

In order to go to the AH and buy the gems outlined in the guide instead of some other random gem, then socket them instead of said other random gem would take SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT that only hardcore WoW players who do nothing else in life could possibly accomplish this feat.

The other way of interpreting your statement would be that only the hardcore basement dweller wants to be good in games that they play. This in start contrast of those weekend warriors who play games and will go out of their way to avoid being good.

You sir, have developed a new form of logic and reasoning. You deserve a Nobel Price for Science stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Funny you should say that... *Looks at my title*.

But that Chardev website should help a lot when i'm just wondering what replacing a gem would do without going into a lot of math.

Also the guides had some great information, but i'm not going to mindlessly gem X gem because i'm below X ilvl.

Also, i may be overlooking it, but it doesn't say how important the 24.97% breakthrough point is. I know it gives a extra tick to each dot, and a extra tick to MF:I*, but is it worth going for that sacrificing a lot of int?

*Im assuming its giving a extra tick. I know before the breakthrough, i use to clip my second mind flay to get a full third one in. But as i have only played a hpally, i'm not 100% sure how channel ticks work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
While Haste Breakpoints are of note and worth getting they do not practically change anything. Haste will always be your best secondary stat beyond any Breakpoint. You will be Gemming, Enchanting and Reforging the same regardless of your level of Haste.

The ilvl breakpoint is based on the amount of Intellect you will have from gear at that point. At that level of Intellect Haste will surpass .5 of Intellect's value making gemming Haste the best choice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I promise you that dozens (if not hundreds) of hours were collectively spent doing the math that backs up the information we present.

Yes, we're nerds. Math is fun to some people. We have an amazing collection of theorycrafters with amazing passion for the game and math skills.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Alright, but i meant no offence in saying i wasn't going t mindlessly gem X gem :P

For example: Theres is a blue socket with a 60 in bonus, and you are hit capped.

Using a +80int/160sp gem would really be giving you 140 int, since the spirit would be wasted. There, a +160 int red gem would be better.

Though i probably will be generally following the gemming on that guide if i can find some gems for sale :P (Atm on my AH, reckless gems are 400g+ each, and purified are 300+).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Using a +80int/160sp gem would really be giving you 140 int, since the spirit would be wasted. There, a +160 int red gem would be better.

Socket the purified and forge out of hit somewhere else.
Reply Quote
Lol irony @ your title Skari.

I was only making an alternative suggestion. No need to go analytical abt it woaden, that looked like a msg from my wife "the other way of interpreting..." take it easy, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
04/06/2013 01:23 PMPosted by Nixxe

Socket the purified and forge out of hit somewhere else.

But let's say either:

1. You are already fully reforged out of hit/spirit (I'm not talking about my current gear atm, as i haven't regemed yet).

2. Socketing the gem and reforging out of hit somewhere else puts you below the hit cap.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Reforge Lite:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/reforgelite

How to use? Copy the settings from the screenshot below. For Hit use the drop down arrow next to it and make sure it says "Spell Hit Cap". That takes into account Hit Racials and should give you an accurate Hit cap. After that click Calculate, Show then Reforge. Done.

http://i.imgur.com/Y6cGVri.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Lol irony @ your title Skari.

I was only making an alternative suggestion. No need to go analytical abt it woaden, that looked like a msg from my wife "the other way of interpreting..." take it easy, lol.

Videoh

But let's say either:

1. You are already fully reforged out of hit/spirit (I'm not talking about my current gear atm, as i haven't regemed yet).

2. Socketing the gem and reforging out of hit somewhere else puts you below the hit cap.

I see. Well, you have an absurd amount of hit/spirit on your gear that's by no means normal. In that situation, yes, you'd be right to gem straight int or straight haste, whichever point you're at, over going for the socket bonus. I'd even consider gemming a hybrid w/ stamina if you do want the socket bonus over getting extra hit you can't use.
Edited by Nixxe on 4/6/2013 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Woaden:

I have that addon, the only thing i don't like about it is that it doesn't factor in gems for moving stats around. Though i plan to reforge using that addon, then use the website omgsocute suggested, and throw in all the gems your guide suggested. Then modify the gems from there if needed.

And Nixxe:

It's not very uncommon to have hit/spirit on every piece of gear when you don't regularly raid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you're at the point of 10/14 Spirit pieces or more I'd just start picking up Crit / Mastery pieces if means less Spirit.

ReforgeLite ideally shouldn't. On gear you're moving around stats on a purely 1:1 basis where Intellect isn't being touched at all. Gems are much different story.

Besides it's really easy to go to a Reforger and switch everything around whereas regemming with a new piece of gear is not only painfully expensive but a major PITA.
Edited by Woaden on 4/6/2013 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you're at the point of 10/14 Spirit pieces or more I'd just start picking up Crit / Mastery pieces if means less Spirit.

I would if i could :D

Right now, pretty much my only option for gear is LFR, which tends to either give me gear i already have, or nothing.

Pugs on my server do not exist, the guild is deep in ToT and doesn't really need a DPS, and nearly any openraid run wants you to have previous XP.

Me and another officer put together an alt run yesterday and cleared quite a bit, i'm hoping that now that i have some normal 5.2 raids cleared on this toon i can find openraid runs.
Edited by Skari on 4/6/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
EESH

Grab the Shado-Pan Assault trinket and farm that Elegon Trinket!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I was considering the Shado-pan trinket, but i think i'll grab the ring first since i still have a blue ring left. (Next week, valor capped this week with 1125 VP -_-).

Been trying to get that +haste trinket off the dragon heads in 2nd part of ToT LFR.

EDIT: Btw, the tooltip is bugged on the second trinket :P Its really a 6k haste proc.
Edited by Skari on 4/6/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]