after 5.2 is the resto druid solid?

Hello all, i wanted to pose a few questions. First i wanted to start with a few comments and observations. Blizzard, i have been really happy with 5.2 content, and im really having fun healing the new content. I have tried alot of different things to increase healing numbers. I have stacked enough haste to hit the 2nd major cap 21.43% raid buffed,thou i didnt see much improvment. i have also tried mastery up to 31% raid buff with no major improvment. Ive been watching the meters, and im all most allways, trailing the h pally and the priest in hps and total healing. I took a look at world of logs out of ceriousity and found the resto druid and the shammy ranking very little. So my questions are how are you fellow resto druids setting your stat priorities for 5.2 raiding? Do you think the resto druid still needs a little more tuning, and possibly buffing? How can we make mushrooms work for more then just a pre pull? If your raid group lacks the spell haste buff, is it worth stacking 5350 haste to get the first cap without the buff? I understand healing is situational, and healing numbers not the ultimate measure of a quality healer. But this said I would like to know what other druids are doing to increase there healing numbers. I would also add all of this is from a 10 man raid prospective.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Resto Druids are quite strong right now, though I only have a 25 man perspective to offer this tier. However, my buddy Dalaylan, who still raids in my old 10 man guild, is loving it.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
Resto is alright, I'm sure blizz would like all healing classes to compete evenly but Disc Priest and Pallys are at the top right now no bones about it like you said looking at the worldoflogs and just from my own experience. They need some more bufs and more work on the mushrooms IMO to get them to where Pallys and Disc priests are in HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm pretty happy with the mushrooms atm. Won't complain if they get buffed but they went from not even being on my bar, to being one I use frequently when people stack due to how much they can heal when charged.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We're better then we were, i'd say we still need work.

I still don't really use my mushroom spell - I still find the 3 globals to place clunky.

I would love to see the T14 4 set bonus built in, because with Soul of The Forest I like Swiftmend lining up with Wild Growth.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Considering we have such problems with overhealing I think shrooms should be more central to our toolkit. One gcd to put them down would be enough of a change to make them usable more rotationally. I think this would be a phenomenal change for the amount of overhealing we do.

I think I'm just agreeing with Xiata. I've also thought that about the t14 bonus as well, that would be incredible.
Edited by Halfatree on 4/7/2013 4:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
I think putting mushrooms as 1 GCD, increasing the heal radius from 8 yards to like 30-40 and decreasing the amount it takes to charge would solve a lot. It would be a viable raid wide heal and not as clunky.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
I think putting mushrooms as 1 GCD, increasing the heal radius from 8 yards to like 30-40 and decreasing the amount it takes to charge would solve a lot. It would be a viable raid wide heal and not as clunky.
That seems absurdly overpowered, I agree on the notion of making them less clunky but 30-40 yards on them isn't the way to go about it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I think the amount of healing it takes to charge up a mushroom is fine, but 3 gcds is too high a cost to pay. The range is also good to keep as a 30 yard range would be op.

It would be nice to see a change like this on the ptr though as it's hard to gauge exactly how this would feel without trying it. I also wonder if losing 2 mushrooms while keeping the same range would be worse since with 3 you can kind of spread them out. Then again considering how far ahead in time you have to place them only the most static of fights would make this a positive.

It would definitely be more fun to just put one shroom down and bloom it more frequently for me but maybe other people disagree? If you play a druid would you want this to be a central part of your rotation? I would envision popping this when its not fully charged as waiting the full time wouldn't be possible on encounters with a lot of movement or perhaps the large heal simply might not be needed, etc. But we would be using it more often as 1 gcd is not as much of a penalty as 3 and we could afford to throw it down inbetween our hots. It really would be a big change to our healing style, becoming an integral part of our rotation... And I know Blizzard has said they wanted to avoid doing that...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/07/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Halfatree
But we would be using it more often as 1 gcd is not as much of a penalty as 3 and we could afford to throw it down inbetween our hots. It really would be a big change to our healing style, becoming an integral part of our rotation...

I tend to disagree with that. I do not see these ever becoming a core part of our rotation as long as their based off of overhealing and in their current form.

Why? Because these shrooms are amazing when charged AND the raid is stacked up/properly positioned.
The reason shrooms will never be part of our rotation and really the problem with shrooms is 3fold;
One, the amount of time it takes to charge.
Two, the unpredictability of a raid encounter and your raid position later when it would be ideal to bloom.
Three, Some fights you will only get one charged bloom. And thats the shrooms you charged before the pull. And this is because of the overhealing mechanic. Ever tried using charged shrooms on the trash after Jin rok? It's pretty impossible after that first ones because of constant damage and the vast improbability of any overhealing ever happening.
More to the point, on fights with constant raid wide damage of real significance, and god forbid any healing debuff, you can more or less kiss these mushrooms goodbye outside of blooming then with 0 charge.
Edited by Tonydanza on 4/7/2013 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Better than in T14, still not great.

That's an understatement.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/hps/

Seems like Ghostfailer and his math challenged crew could use some calculators.
Reply Quote
The change I would like to see to mushrooms is having one mushroom do the healing of the three current mushrooms, but still be able to place up to three mushrooms at a time. Add some sort of mechanic that will reduce mushroom healing if the mushrooms are stacked. That way it doesnt require four global cds to drop at a single stack point and bloom and we can also strategically place mushrooms for melee and ranged groups. Or just scatter them through out and area for spread out mechanics.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Rogue
04/07/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Gasleak
That seems absurdly overpowered, I agree on the notion of making them less clunky but 30-40 yards on them isn't the way to go about it.

You have to increase the radius, otherwise the majoirty of the fight people move around and away from where the mushrooms are and its all for nothing..why does every other class get to pick where their AOE heals land? Just a waste at 8 yard lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I wish they'd think of some way to make direct heals worth casting, to avoid the overhealing curse from HOTs.

Perhaps let all direct heals (esp. Healing Touch) automatically apply a living seed.

Let living seeds stack, give them a longer duration.

etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish they'd think of some way to make direct heals worth casting, to avoid the overhealing curse from HOTs.

Perhaps let all direct heals (esp. Healing Touch) automatically apply a living seed.

etc.

That sounds interesting, but living seed only consumes upon direct hits which makes it mostly viable to tanks. DoT damage, AoE pulses, etc don't work with it (I wish).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

etc.

That sounds interesting, but living seed only consumes upon direct hits which makes it mostly viable to tanks. DoT damage, AoE pulses, etc don't work with it (I wish).

Yeah come to think about it, my suggestion really has flaws.

It'd take a massive buff to make druid direct heals in any way decent. Even if every direct heal landed a living seed that would proc on AOE, it still might not be enough to make something slow and weak like Healing Touch a decent heal.
Edited by Mondune on 4/8/2013 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I was browsing through your logs and I noticed you raid in a very similar (healing) setup as me. I don't really seem to be having an issue keeping up with our holy paladin or our disc priest. In fact, I seem to come out ahead on most fights.

I'll point out that I've tried healing at both the 12.5% haste cap as well as the 21.43% haste cap. and I didn't notice much of a difference in healing output. At the moment, though my reforges and gemming would disagree, I would almost prefer to raid at the second cap. The main reason being our lack of a consistent spell haste buff.

I very rarely use shrooms. I only use them in very extreme conditions (i.e - Jin'Rokh/Megaera stacking) However, if you browse my logs, I'm sure you'll find a bit more scattered uses as well.

I think that resto druids are in a better place than they were for MSV/HoF/ToeS, but they still need tuning.

Changes to shrooms would be very nice. I do like how they absorb overhealing from rejuv and cause them to be slightly better "burst heals," but I'd like to see them either taken off the GCD or made more mobile (i.e - allowing them to be placed on one person instead of three stationary places or some other variant that's most likely been discussed elsewhere).

There's always going to be an issue with overhealing due to the nature of druid healing spells, but it's not my biggest concern with the overall class mechanics at the moment.
Edited by Catakins on 4/9/2013 3:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Shrooms only have to deal with unpredictable raid encounters if you're doing lfr or have a raid lead in many cases.. Tsu for example.. Adds get tanked near his mouth, I can drop 3 and have them ready.. Which helps so I can focus more on Tsu.. Lei does his get away.. In most cases where you'd want to use shrooms there is a general stacking area.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 03:44 AMPosted by Catakins
I'll point out that I've tried healing at both the 12.5% haste cap as well as the 21.43% haste cap. and I didn't notice much of a difference in healing output.

Statements like
I didn't notice
provide nothing for the conversation other than guesswork. You might as well say you didn't compare logs before and after in a credible manner. That at least that would be factually correct for your premise.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]