Savage Roar

90 Pandaren Monk
Please make it cost no rage please.

Are there any other classes that have to recast a single spell every 12 to 40 seconds that costs energy and combo points just to do the baseline damage expected out of a class?

Current mechanic doesn't provide fun or interest.. huge quality of life buff for ferals.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm fine with it as is - no need for combo points if you glyph it, and while it does cost energy the duration is longer then comparable abilities/mechanics/things to keep up for other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm fine with it as is - no need for combo points if you glyph it, and while it does cost energy the duration is longer then comparable abilities/mechanics/things to keep up for other classes.

Give me one example please. Our current setup means you cast savage roar, move into rake.. then one mangle, you're low energy. Our energy regen is very slow... so using 1/4 of your energy for a buff that's native to other classes... even hunters mark now applies automatically with arcane shot, warlock curse insta cast for 1/40th of their mana at range. I just want to know what you mean by comparable abilities mechanics.
Edited by Respire on 4/7/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
One example I can think of would be inquisition for ret paladins. Costs up to three holy power to build up and each of those abilities that generate holy power have a CD (from three to six seconds?). So I'd find that to be a good comparison.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
rets inquisition takes longest to get, so stop your QQing
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Here's what I hate about savage roar. The audio spam. You know, the bobcat noise.

In Cata, the bobcat noise was cool. The buff was sort of weak, so you almost never heard it. When you did, it was because some feral nearby had killed somebody faster than expected and had some leftover combo points on the corpse. That sound meant that a victorious cat was nearby-- look out-- buffed damage and maybe even a PS proc--- badass feral in the area!!! The buff to white damage meant he was going to be right up in your face too, not playing cat and mouse games, because otherwise the buff gets wasted. It fit the theme of the cat form perfectly. I loved the rhythm of the savage roar sound effect in battles. I really didn't care that the damage buff was minimal, it was still full of Awesome.

In MoP, here's how SR works. Before battle even starts, I am spamming it. The glyph lets you do that. SR has become essentially an energy dump (there is little reason not to cast SR when you have 100 energy if the battle is more than 1.5 GCD's from starting). Rawrrr! Rawrrr! Rawrrr! It's meaningless noise.

The only other time you hear it is when I've gotten a few combo points into a fight when I notice the buff is about to wear off. The bobcat noise now means "Um, I was going to hit you with a finishing blow, and that would have hurt... but instead I had to cast this d_mned mandatory ability without which my paws are as soft as pillows."

In other words, when you hear Savage Roar being cast, it means the exact opposite of what it used to. It's no longer feral, dangerous, and cool; now it's repetitive, pathetic, and lame.
Edited by Hibernator on 4/7/2013 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

I'm so sick of ret pallies taking every opportunity to grand stand about their hatred of Inquisition. Savage Roar is worse. Period. Your ability grants you free crit chance and doesn't effect all of your damage anyway. SR takes energy, combo points, AND it accounts for a much larger percentage of our total damage while effecting every since ability ferals use for dps and not granting any crit or anything helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I honestly don't see a problem with SR as it is right now. Our energy regen is more than sufficient to keep all 3 effects (Rake, Rip, and SR) rolling on the target for 100% of the time (barring abilities you have to run out for, mobs, etc.). There really isn't a problem with SR from my perspective, especially with the glyph that helps forgive mistakes in the rotation instead of just letting SR fall off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If Savage Roar didn't cost energy, then with Soul of the Forest it would be like a smaller version of Tiger's Fury. With no cooldown.

Seriously, stop hating on Savage Roar. Its a good ability. Its so good, that we take it for granted.

If they had made it off the GCD, with no energy cost and a 3 minute cooldown that only affected white damage, everybody would be singing praises about the ability and how it lined up perfectly with Berserk and Incarnation for your burst macro.

Unfortunately, instead, we got an ability that's so good that its usage is top priority, and so flexible that we can keep it up 100% of the time; its gotten to the point that people are complaining about, well, having to use it.

Maybe Blizzard should put a 3-6 minute cooldown for a 30 second duration on this ability so Ferals everywhere start seeing it as a +30% damage increase instead of offsetting a 23% damage reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Are there any other classes that have to recast a single spell every 12 to 40 seconds that costs energy and combo points just to do the baseline damage expected out of a class?

Rogue. Slice and Dice.

Without SR, feral would be a truly mindless rotation.
Rip. Mangle.
Shred Shred Shred Shred Rip Mangle Shred Shred Shred Shred Rip Feroicious Bite Shred Shred Shred Shred Rip Mange Shred ...
We'd simply be keeping up two DoTs. And that's it. It's adding a buff that needs to be maintained that makes it fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
play a ret pally then come back bro
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Here's what I hate about savage roar. The audio spam. You know, the bobcat noise.

In Cata, the bobcat noise was cool. The buff was sort of weak, so you almost never heard it. When you did, it was because some feral nearby had killed somebody faster than expected and had some leftover combo points on the corpse. That sound meant that a victorious cat was nearby-- look out-- buffed damage and maybe even a PS proc--- badass feral in the area!!! The buff to white damage meant he was going to be right up in your face too, not playing cat and mouse games, because otherwise the buff gets wasted. It fit the theme of the cat form perfectly. I loved the rhythm of the savage roar sound effect in battles. I really didn't care that the damage buff was minimal, it was still full of Awesome.

In MoP, here's how SR works. Before battle even starts, I am spamming it. The glyph lets you do that. SR has become essentially an energy dump (there is little reason not to cast SR when you have 100 energy if the battle is more than 1.5 GCD's from starting). Rawrrr! Rawrrr! Rawrrr! It's meaningless noise.

The only other time you hear it is when I've gotten a few combo points into a fight when I notice the buff is about to wear off. The bobcat noise now means "Um, I was going to hit you with a finishing blow, and that would have hurt... but instead I had to cast this d_mned mandatory ability without which my paws are as soft as pillows."

In other words, when you hear Savage Roar being cast, it means the exact opposite of what it used to. It's no longer feral, dangerous, and cool; now it's repetitive, pathetic, and lame.

OMG>>>exactly. Its a pain in the !@#...and I have a ret pally. it's not nearly the same. It's annoying. as explained above. it needs to me removed. It has my Feral resting ATM...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Cannot believe some of what I'm hearing in this thread.

Savage Roar is a ridiculous mechanic at this point. In Wrath, I understood it. Now it's just complication for the sake of keeping an ability that was an ability. It's tedious, it's clunky, and I don't want to hear about inquisition anymore.

This thread isn't about Inquisition, this thread isn't even about Paladins.

The bottom line, Ferals are balenced around having Savage Roar. That's fine, in itself. In the grand sense of things, no class or spec would willingly want to have a majority of their damage tied to or determined by some maintenance buff because although even in practice it should be up 100% of the time, and sure energy may even be a none issue but it begs the question why is no other class/spec variation penalized so much yet Feral is?

What is the point of Savage Roar outside of the 'must be up 100% of the time' clunky combat mechanic? To consume combo points and convert them into Predatory Swiftness procs from range and get that Cyclone cast off that can only be done once every 20 seconds at this point?

This non-sense has to end. Feral was once a specialization I enjoyed thoroughly, I'm sure most players feel the same.

Feral has potential to be a fluid specialization, why add clutter to something that could be so decisive and clear?
Edited by Soirl on 4/8/2013 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

When did they take away Slice and Dice from the rogues?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior

did that, rogue too, divine purpose makes keeping inquis up funny, not hard, and when I finally got my rotation right for pally I switched to sanctified wrath, and barely noticed a difference, as for my rogue, slice n dice is up 100% of the time for free, since I run assassin, as ive noticed a lot of rogues have been lately

so, now having played both rogue and pally at 90, and my poor druid too, I can vouch for SR being complete crap, honestly ive more or less benched my druid since I got her to 90 and ran heroics and such a week after xpac, I tried again to play her less than a month ago...and I just cant, I try to run as guardian, id rather play my warrior, I try to run as feral, id rather play my rogue, I try to play as resto or balance...I cry and sit in the corner because I remembered I don't like healing and ranged dps

I don't like what they've done to druids over the last two xpacs period, we were in a god place in wrath, but as is tradition with every xpac, a complete rework of druid playstyle keeps us on our toes, and while I was happy to see SR buffing everything again, but that was the end of my happy kitty face, seeing how impossibly stupid the rotation is now
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/07/2013 06:16 PMPosted by Morality

I'm so sick of ret pallies taking every opportunity to grand stand about their hatred of Inquisition. Savage Roar is worse. Period. Your ability grants you free crit chance and doesn't effect all of your damage anyway. SR takes energy, combo points, AND it accounts for a much larger percentage of our total damage while effecting every since ability ferals use for dps and not granting any crit or anything helpful.

I've been playing my pali alt a good bit lately. I hate to admit it but inquisition is more annoying.

I'd love to see both abilities removed but I doubt blizzard cares.
Edited by Suialthor on 4/8/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/08/2013 01:34 AMPosted by Khatos
Its so good, that we take it for granted.

It's so "good" it's required. It's so required, it should be baseline. As evidenced by the fact that if you don't have 100% uptime, you're doing it wrong. Its maintenance is pure busywork.

Without SR, feral would be a truly mindless rotation.

No it wouldn't. We would be able to replace hitting SR every so often with hitting FB every so often. Only the execute phase on bosses would be any easier, and that would be a matter of not having to hit SR two or three times. That's not making the rotation mindless--that's an almost inconsequential change in terms of difficulty.

04/08/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Soirl
Savage Roar is a ridiculous mechanic at this point. In Wrath, I understood it. Now it's just complication for the sake of keeping an ability that was an ability.

This.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
04/08/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Kerranggaroo

Rogue. Slice and Dice.

That would be a fair comparison, until you factor in that

1) It increases attack speed, NOT damage done. While both are needed to do baseline damage, Slice and Dice falling off doesn't neuter the damage of a Rogue's other finishers and combo point generators.

2) Assassination Rogues have a talent that refreshes Slice and Dice when they use Eviscerate.

I have a ret pally. The spec is brainless and simple. If you can't manage your Holy Power then you're a horrible player. They really can't make ret any easier than it already is.
Edited by Morality on 4/8/2013 4:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I forgot to mention, I mostly pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Play a feral since Vanilla then come back bro.

Your ideas are set within a limited time frame with lack of knowledge on ferals. Keep yourself to the pally forums where they may shelter you.

Ragefayse, did you play feral early in Wrath or just late? Early Wrath was best. It was challenging and currently it's close to that challenge. MoP is great as a feral imo. Don't enjoy it? I can't see how you ever enjoyed Wrath then. Maybe after they patted you on the back and gave us a nerf to make it easier for you. Been maining feral druid since a few months before Naxx 40 came out and have stuck through all the changes. Rogues, warriors, etc just aren't on par for me. Sure, I love my warrior tanking and haven't Guardian tanked or really tanked since Ulduar, but this class has been decent to best dps since Wrath. /shrug I feel for you if you don't enjoy it.

And Suialthor isn't that just your opinion? An ability being more annoying isn't a fact. It's completely an opinion. Pallies haven't had to deal with this kind of ability outside of lolret Vanilla/BC. So yeah, for them it seems more annoying because their experience is limited.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]