MPPM: Spawn of G’nathus

Community Manager
Lorewalker Cho pays us a special visit this week revealing some potentially interesting rumors about where the sea-beast G'nathus may have come from. And if you're able to turn this giant eel into sushi, you'll earn yourself one unique looking pet!

Have you tamed Spawn of G'nathus yet? How does it do in Pet Battles?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I just trade dfor one with a very industrious Warlock who solos G'nathus on a regular basis.

Can't wait to level him up!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Got one the first couple days 5.2 was out, but I haven't really had a chance to try him out. At the very least, he looks like a neat little pet.

Will be leveling him next now!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I named mine "Cupcake" :D

Not quite 25 yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in action!

He also looks awesome with a Pet Biscuit ;)
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
Incredibly strong against Elementals. I use him against a lot of the quest trainers. :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
My significant other and I tried multiple times to duo him (myself as a Blood DK and him as a Disc Priest), but he kept bugging out and flying above the water so I couldn't hit him, and he flattened us in short order. My guy wanted me to take him deeper under the water to try and prevent this, but my thalassophobia prevented me from doing so (and was aggravated enough just being killed repeatedly by a giant sea creature of all things).

We do both want this little guy someday, but until we're able to trade for it, it's not happening... letting G'nathus kill me over and over is just horrible for my psyche, heh.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
My friends and I went out a few days after 5.2 hit to try G'nathus, and after a few bumps it wasn't terribly awful (but we were a four-man group with heals, water walking, hunter pets, etc. so).

I haven't been hugely impressed with its moveset yet, but it works well enough.

Mostly I'm just delighted to have an eel for one of my characters, since his childhood nickname was "little eel."

...Now about that shark that showed up in Wrath PTR and never made the cut...
Reply Quote
Hopefully not derailing the thread but... who or what is G'nathus?

I've honestly never heard of him, and don't know who he is or what his spawn may be.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I was lucky enough to get some friends to help in a G'nathus hunting party. He can be kited but it's safest to go in with a geared tank and healer.

G'nathus is tough, but the pet is worth it. I love Gnathy ♥

I've honestly never heard of him, and don't know who he is or what his spawn may be.

G'nathus spawns at the northern coast of the north-most island in Townlong Stepes (where the mystics Shado-pan dailies are). He's an enormous eel that can either be carefully and skillfully kited by a ranged class or taken down with a party. He spawns every 10 or so minutes and drops 1 pet each time.
Edited by Ninetales on 4/12/2013 5:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hopefully not derailing the thread but... who or what is G'nathus?

He's a giant eel that swims around north of Shanze Dao in Townlong. Looks just like the pet.

He's not a rare spawn, comes back fairly quickly. Takes a few people to kill as he has a good chunk of health and he hits quite hard. Drops the pet every time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Any range with a slow can slowly kite him in the water, takes awhile but doable. for me its a thrill.
Reply Quote
23 Troll Druid
He's alright in PVE battles, but I wouldn't rate him as outstanding or anything. I've seen a handful try to use him for PVP but they never do well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Anyone interested in getting some CRZ groups going to farm this pet? I just tried soloing him as Destro and he smashed my face in. I could find a group from my guild or my server, but I thought I'd ask fellow pet collectors first.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The boyfriend and I took him down twice a few weeks ago. It's a nice little pet --I really like the lightning shield on the new pets.

As for a strategy to kill the big guy, I swapped specs to moonkin and...healed in dps gear while my hunter bf ranged him to death going around the southern island. Get a range finder mod so the hunter can be at max range and not get zapped.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
It's a very cool looking and useful pet. I'm very fond of it because several friends banded together to help me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I helped my old raiding buddy kill G'nathus so he could have the pet as he is a pet lover. Just a bit ago he transferred servers to go raid with a less-hardcore group, and sent me the pet in the mail sort of as a "thanks buddy!"

He may have been drunk when he decided to send it to me though, but either way this is definitely my most favorite pet, it just looks cool and I am glad he sent it to me! :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Glad to see Swallow You Whole finally made it in. It's definitely this pet's best move - and you get it right away? Score.

Combo Paralyzing Shock + Dive is nice when you're up against any pet without a defensive counter, but it also makes you a 1-trick pony.

That Lightning Shield (shared with the IoT pets) is somewhat overpowered if you can catch a stampede/swarm/flock but that also makes it only situationally useful. I would've preferred to see it less powerful and a longer duration - or keep it short duration, lower the damage and give it a chance to stun.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
He's alright in PVE battles, but I wouldn't rate him as outstanding or anything. I've seen a handful try to use him for PVP but they never do well.

He's been awesome for me while leveling him. I don't do 25s since I don't like playing the FotM game, though so I'm not sure how he is higher up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
soon as i found out he drops a pet, i went to try to solo him on my priest. What ensued was the recasting of levitate 50 billion times while he whittled away at my mana.

So, i brought my warlock out there and made a joke out of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]