Addons

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Never had an add on i would like to know where i could get one and which one to get?
Reply Quote
Currently the safe sites for getting addons are Curse.com and WowInterface.com

Addons are minor modifications to the game, and mainly based on personal preference. If you've ever thought "gee it'd be nice if...," you can browse either of those sites to see if there's an addon that'll do what you're wanting, whether it's adjusting the appearance of your screen, keeping track of your auctions or characters, being notified of boss abilities during a fight, or something else entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Curse.com is possibly the best, and is very easy to use.
When you get an Addon Downloading Client, here are some Addons to get:

Deadly Boss Mods
Recount
DrDamage
Cartographer

When you finish downloading the Addons, and any other you want to download, Open WoW and log in. At the bottom left corner of the Screens will be a button that says AddOns, click that, and enable your Addons.

Hope this helped :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
When you go to download an addon you should ask yourself what do I want to do with my UI?

Example the above posters addons would be not that great if you are a solo quester only.

DBM is used for giving warnings in raids and dungeons.

Recount can tell you how much damage or healing your party members did in a situation.

DrDamage tells you approximately how much difference a particular talent or gear upgrade might give you.

Cartographer is a map add on.

Only download addons that you'll think you'll use or need.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
When you have downloaded an addon the hardest part for me to figure out when I first started ....was where to put it.

So when you download it and open it at the top there should be an extract or extract all button. Go ahead and press that then it should open up another window that has a directory bar in it. Browse for your World of Warcraft folder. Its usually located in your Program Files. So your directory bar should look something like this C:/Program Files/WorldofWarcraft/Interface/Addons. Then extract them there, otherwise the addons wont work.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
When you have downloaded an addon the hardest part for me to figure out when I first started ....was where to put it.

So when you download it and open it at the top there should be an extract or extract all button. Go ahead and press that then it should open up another window that has a directory bar in it. Browse for your World of Warcraft folder. Its usually located in your Program Files. So your directory bar should look something like this C:/Program Files/WorldofWarcraft/Interface/Addons. Then extract them there, otherwise the addons wont work.

You can also use the curse client / wowinterface client and it does all the installing unzipping yada yada yada and also makes updating way easier :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Biggest question right now, are you more PvP or PvE? That will determine which addons you should get.

The 'neutral' ones I would grab are:
-Bartender: Helps with cleaning up the UI, I love it.
-Castbars: Neater castbars
-Skada: I find it cleaner than Recount, but this will help you keep track of your character's damage/healing.
-Cooldowns: Gives you a note on exactly how long an ability is on CD for.
-Tidy plates: Cleans up nameplates really well.
-NPCscan: helps you find rares and other NPCs. Almost mandatory for rare hunting.
Reply Quote
35 Human Warrior
To install addons use curse.com or WoWInterface.
Here are some essential addons:
Addon Control Panel
Adibags
Bartender
Auctionator
Chatter
Edited by Benjithaguy on 4/14/2013 2:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
There is no such thing as needed or essential addons. Pick the ones you might like using. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And don't forget that each and every add-on has the capacity to interfere with almost anything and everything about the game. Most don't, but even if they are well written they will have at least some impact on performance (hopefully, negligible, but they can be substantial at times.)

Choose wisely, and work toward minimizing the number of them you run. And if something doesn't work in the game, disable them all and retry again.

<S>
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
thanks to all it really helps
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If you're a Mac user get WoWMatrix. It also works w windows, but most windows people use curse. WoWMatrix is cleaner and easier to use. They make adding/deleting addons EASY! I had issues with every addon, except carbonite prior to WoWMatrix.

Happy hunting,
Deyanira
Reply Quote
Curse.com has a Mac Client as well as a windows version, which in addition to WoWMatrix gives options to Mac users for their Add-on needs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
vranx.com might interest you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Again, curse just never really worked for me. As for adds, I would highly recommend carbonite. It's a much more refined mapping system. Helps with quest and getting from place to place. Recount shows you stats from fights so you can fine tune your rotation.

Happy hunting,
Deyanira
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]