Will Rise of the Hutt Cartel Kill WoW?

100 Human Warrior
BioWare is going to steal Blizzard's thunder and the new SWTOR expansion will definitely kill WoW. BioWare has studied what has made Blizzard successful and upped it a million times.

Absolutely, the most amazing feature of the expansion is that you can't get to level-cap just by doing all of the quests in the new zone. Nope, that will only get you half-way. And there are no leveling-up dungeons so you can't use them to level either! Nope, BioWare is getting rid of these obsolete game designs and going with cutting edge game-play that Blizzard has been to slow to embrace: dailies to level!

Yep, BioWare is making people pay for an expansion for the right to do daiies to level their character!
Edited by Warloff on 4/3/2013 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Not even if they got Leo himself to do the voice acting for those dailys.

Not even if they gave it a cool name like, Tortanic 2 - Rise of bubbles from the bottom of the gaming ocean.

Everytime I load Simcity on origin I see Tortanic & I think to myself, not even if I click it by accident, task manager & end process faster than you can kill hogger.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Not even if they got Leo himself to do the voice acting for those dailys.

They have significantly cut back on the voice acting. Most quests are now just text in the expansion.
Reply Quote
Bwuuuhaaahaaaaaahhaaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaa...(wipes tears of laughter from eyes)...haaaaaawaaaahaaaaaahaaaaa...

Faints from shortness of breath due to laughter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
BioWare is going to steal Blizzard's thunder and the new SWTOR expansion will definitely kill WoW. BioWare has studied what has made Blizzard successful and upped it a million times.

Wasn't that what they said about oh I don't know SWTOR? Now the expansion will be the WoW killer
Reply Quote
tor sucks so no
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Wasn't that what they said about oh I don't know SWTOR? Now the expansion will be the WoW killer

TOR's problem was that people could level to 50 to by questing and people ran out of stuff to do. Now with the new expansion there will be lots to do since there aren't enough quests to get you to 55!

Imagine how much content WoW would have if you ran out of quests at level 87 and there were no leveling dungeons available. PURE EPIC!

And then at 55 people can enjoy ONE WHOLE RAID and FOUR HEROIC VERSIONS OF DUNGEONS RELEASED LAST YEAR!

With high quality expansions like this it will be little wonder if anyone is still playing WoW in the near future.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I am assuming that the OP is being sarcastic...if so, well played. Unfortunately though, sometimes people say things like this and are *dead serious*, so it's hard to tell.
Reply Quote
Um, is it true that you can only quest to about 53? I heard that somewhere else too and if so, I am disappointed. I planned on playing RotHC for a bit at least, but if this is true, then I dunno....
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Um, is it true that you can only quest to about 53? I heard that somewhere else too and if so, I am disappointed. I planned on playing RotHC for a bit at least, but if this is true, then I dunno....

Unless they decided not to beta test appropriate xp gains at all. Which given how sloppy BioWare has been with the game, is entirely possible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I am assuming that the OP is being sarcastic...if so, well played. Unfortunately though, sometimes people say things like this and are *dead serious*, so it's hard to tell.

Very few are dead serious. 99% of the "WOW Killer" posters are Blizzard fanboys who use the term as a euphemism against the game they are slamming.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Please stop, I'm looking foward to the xpac, but It will never kill WoW.

ToR may be a fun game but WoW appeals to a much bigger audience and has more time under its philosophical belt.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 04:50 PMPosted by Warloff

Unless they decided not to beta test appropriate xp gains at all. Which given how sloppy BioWare has been with the game, is entirely possible.

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to Aion.

"Here, let's make a really pretty world with good lore and cool classes, then let's take away all of your solo quests after level 30 and make you spend three months grinding the rest of the way to cap."

People ask me why I'm a cynic about new MMOs, I tell them it's because every single one of them (save GW2 and another game I'm currently beta-ing in) winds up turning into a story-starved grind.
Edited by Reshuv on 4/5/2013 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Troll Death Knight
As a SWTOR Player, no it will not. My Guild is sorely disappointed by SWTOR as of late, Makeb promised way too much and is not going to deliver nearly half of the promises.

SWTOR Is gonna flop again, hard. They promised same gender romances, (take note, plural) we're getting one each per faction. We were promised a 'unique' experience for classes, because they are not continuing individual class stories anymore (which is a HUGE disappointment, they were amazing and I loved them, this put me off SWTOR big-time), there will only be one voiced storyline for Makeb and there is nothing making it 'unique' to our characters, aside from how they address us in the beginning.

However, I personally prefer SWTOR's PvP. I can't really explain it too well, but I find it a little ridiculous in WoW how I can go solo like 4 players and come out on top. On SWTOR I can't really do that, and as a PvP Healer in SWTOR, one heal will not heal someone up to max. I find PvP healing in WoW a little ludicrous... I can keep myself and others up just by spamming one heal at low level, eesh. (I just came back to WoW last week pretty much, I haven't hit 90 yet so this is from a lowbie perspective, last I played was Dragon Soul patch.)

I love SWTOR but no continuation of class stories ticked me off big time. I played SWTOR for the unique stories and for the wonderful people I met on there, we're all Star Wars nerds there and I found a really, really amazing Guild that slowly died out because of drama. The remaining friends I have on there are gonna be quitting as well due to no continuation of class stories, we weren't much of raiders, so yeah. Don't get me wrong, Makeb is new content, new raids coming... but... Meh. It's not... amazing. It's... underwhelming. I will not be buying it and am now playing WoW again (not too much to my enjoyment, I'm just going along doing my own thing with my Bf, who I met on SWTOR, we're both disappointed about it right now. We loved raiding and PvPing together but our Guild died and honestly, since F2P hit, the community became pretty rotten. It's like WoW's now, tbh. Rarely do I meet good people anymore.)

Sorry for the long wall of text but this is my experiences. I would suggest playing SWTOR for the amazing stories, though. I've fully completed all the Empire ones and I truly loved them, I dabbled a bit in the Republic ones but it feels weird playing Republic, heh. The leveling experience in SWTOR was really fun, I loved it the whole way. :)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
The level 53 issue makes sense to me, how else are they going to get you to pay for content. Forget pay to win, try pay to hit 55.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
04/05/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Tacogoats
SWTOR Is gonna flop again, hard. They promised same gender romances, (take note, plural) we're getting one each per faction.

This might enrage you more. The "romance" is a solitary flirting option for each faction on one occasion. No kiss or even a first date. It's far from the romance you can engage with your companions or even the romance you can sometimes strike up with quest npcs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Hell, I expect it to go something like this: new TOR expansion, TOR population declines.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
this will be filed next to gw2 as the hopes and dreams of anti-wow gamers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
TOR is a dead game. Most of their players either went back to WoW or moved to Star Trek Online.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]